How many assists will UConn’s front court have this season? | The Boneyard

How many assists will UConn’s front court have this season?

Reaction Score
This question just came to my mind in thinking about Clingan’s potential for the upcoming season. Over/under 200 assists coming from UConn’s front court next season? We have some excellent passing bigs who are also unselfish.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's a meaty question.

I think it entirely depends upon your answer of what's the front court?

If starting lineup is Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan, are you counting Castle as front court or back court? If you count Castle's assists, it's an easy over. Even if you break up his assists and only count them if he's the SF based on two other true guards on the court, it's an easy over.

Karaban, Clingan and Johnson may come close. I can see Alex averaging close to 3 assists per game and Clingan about 2 assists. If they play 35 games, that's 175 assists between Karaban and Clingan. I don't expect a bunch of assists from Johnson.

Throw in Ross, Stewart, Romogulou and Singare, and combined they may average one assist per game.

Overall, I'd bet that the over.

Reaction Score
With a decent BET and NCAAT run I'm sure it's possible.

It would be great it we could 2 assists for Clingan and 3 for Karaban.

They are both great positional passers and will have a great assist %. They don't have the ball in their hands enough to be a huge pure #s guys though. Exceedingly unlikely they are hitting 4+ assists like a guard.

Edit: Are you counting the SF? In that case we'll easily hit 200.

Reaction Score
That's a meaty question.

I think it entirely depends upon your answer of what's the front court?

If starting lineup is Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan, are you counting Castle as front court or back court? If you count Castle's assists, it's an easy over. Even if you break up his assists and only count them if he's the SF based on two other true guards on the court, it's an easy over.

Karaban, Clingan and Johnson may come close. I can see Alex averaging close to 3 assists per game and Clingan about 2 assists. If they play 35 games, that's 175 assists between Karaban and Clingan. I don't expect a bunch of assists from Johnson.

Throw in Ross, Stewart, Romogulou and Singare, and combined they may average one assist per game.

Overall, I'd bet that the over.
I’m counting Castle and Newton as backcourt guys. So Karaban, Clingan, Spencer, and Samson Johnson would make up most of the front court minutes, with Singare also mixed in.

Reaction Score
I’m counting Castle and Newton as backcourt guys. So Karaban, Clingan, Spencer, and Samson Johnson would make up most of the front court minutes, with Singare also mixed in.

Cam Spencer is not a "front court" player in any sense of the word. We don't have a traditional small-forward. If anyone would be considered for that role, it would be Castle.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cam Spencer is not a "front court" player in any sense of the word. We don't have a traditional small-forward. If anyone would be considered for that role, it would be Castle.
I think of Castle more as a guard next year given his handle and passing ability. He definitely could play the three for us but I see he and Tristan splitting time at the 1 and 2. (Think Bazz and Boat.) That makes Spencer the three by default. He has the shooting range to be effective there. Yes, it's a little nontraditional, but I don't see Hurley getting locked into position labels.

Reaction Score
I think of Castle more as a guard next year given his handle and passing ability. He definitely could play the three for us but I see he and Tristan splitting time at the 1 and 2. (Think Bazz and Boat.) That makes Spencer the three by default. He has the shooting range to be effective there. Yes, it's a little nontraditional, but I don't see Hurley getting locked into position labels.
I agree with most of this, but that's also exactly why I wouldn't classify Spencer or Castle as a frontcourt player. Even if they're the 3rd guard on the court most of the time, their role is still going to be to function as a guard.

As for the question, Karaban and Clingan should end up somewhere around 5 per game combined, which would put them up around 150-160 before postseason play. If we're counting Spencer then it's not even a question of the over, he had 105 last season by himself

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this, but that's also exactly why I wouldn't classify Spencer or Castle as a frontcourt player. Even if they're the 3rd guard on the court most of the time, their role is still going to be to function as a guard.

As for the question, Karaban and Clingan should end up somewhere around 5 per game combined, which would put them up around 150-160 before postseason play. If we're counting Spencer then it's not even a question of the over, he had 105 last season by himself
With Newton and Castle starting together in the lineup, and very good passers throughout the lineup, I wonder if this team might threaten the record books, or at least place very highly in it, for team assists.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom