OT: How long before you switch to new cell phone? And why? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How long before you switch to new cell phone? And why?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It sounds like this is a thread for old grumpy men. I'm reminded of the Progressive commercial where the guy shows everyone his flip phone and says "why should I get a new one? This one works fine." Not judging it. You be you. I think the every year upgrade is a bit excessive, but I do enjoy getting new tech every once in a while.

I personally try to go three years. I just upgraded from my iphone 7 at 2 years, however, because I dropped the phone while plugged in and I think I bent the charging port. So the cable had to be jiggled to stay attached and many times I'd find my phone dead despite being plugged in. I decided to go with a new phone despite only being 2 years old because I didn't want to spend money on it.

One of the main reasons I upgrade periodically is for the camera. I have a really nice SLR camera. It never leaves the house. We capture so much of our lives on the phone, that I find a periodic upgrade to a better camera to be worth the price.
What did you end up going to?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My charging port no longer worked, so I had to buy an external battery charger (I had multiple batteries). The solution was cheap, but after a month or so I got annoyed having to constantly pull out the battery, so I I got the Moto G6.

The Moto G6 doesn't do anything fancy, but I like the user interface, apps, texts, internet work great and the best part to me is that the battery charges in like 30 mins via usbc and the charge can last a full day. When I go to bed around midnight I still have 30/40% left.
So far this thread adds up to me posting in Lenovo Forums* with the account I created last night, and seeing if I can get good answers to the VM notification & cache-clearing problems. Otherwise, the phone is fine and I like it.

If I should decide to let the phone go, I've had no contract for more than 3 years, and as of today this phone has cost me <$18/month including case & extra charging accessories.

Thanks for the positive vote on the G6.

* I do try to limit myself to posting regularly in only one online forum ;-p

Reaction Score
My daughter brought me a pixel XL (the original) a couple of years ago. Before then I would buy (i.e. or upgrade) every 2 years, thinking I wanted to keep up with the latest tech, including better/stable wifi and bluetooth, quicker response, larger drive, etc.. That was when phones were under $400 bucks.

Now my Pixel is outdated, yet still does everything I need it to business wise and socially. Also it still receives the OS updates immediately. Furthermore I have not even used it to its full potential. I will keep this phone until it breaks or becomes unusable. If they stop automatically updating it I'll just root it. Even if it get water damaged I will use the rice trick first, which worked a couple of times before with other phones.

In other words I don't need a new phone. There are no new features I need or will use often enough to justify. I will say I do keep up with the latest and greatest phones out there, but damn spending $800 to make phone calls, take a few pics, check emails and texts is crazy.

When that day comes I will take a strong look at a 'newer model phone' but used, and unlocked.

I just traded in my OG pixel XL to buy a Pixel 3 XL. Google is running 150 off of the XL and I bought it outright. It is really nicer and a lot bigger and much faster. I was having problems with my phone charging correctly.

I used to get a new phone every year before marriage and kids. I wanted to wait to get the new Note 10, but I figured that phone will cost at least 1100.

Reaction Score
My iPhone 7 is started to not to hold a charge and can be a twitchy about charging. I was a Samsung guy before that phone but switched because my kids made the the persuasive argument of " something, something, iPhone, something, sooo much better, something group chats." Well upon hearing that I was so convinced that I shook my head and said "whatever."

So. now I am faced with deciding whether to go back, or to stick with iPhone. I'm not a fan of how Apple tries to push you into other Apple stuff, but I know a switch to the new iPhone (X is it) will be seemless. Any thought on Apple vs. Samsung?

Even though you missed the $29 battery replacement deal, Apple is only charging $49 now for the 7 IIRC. I’d investigate that first.

I had the battery replaced in my 2 year old 7 plus two months ago. I don’t see anything in the new phones that I must have, so my plan is to ride that new battery for a couple of years until 5G is widely deployed and many handsets are available.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So far this thread adds up to me posting in Lenovo Forums* with the account I created last night, and seeing if I can get good answers to the VM notification & cache-clearing problems. Otherwise, the phone is fine and I like it.

If I should decide to let the phone go, I've had no contract for more than 3 years, and as of today this phone has cost me <$18/month including case & extra charging accessories.

Thanks for the positive vote on the G6.

* I do try to limit myself to posting regularly in only one online forum ;-p

My buddy put me on to the G6 when I was about to drop like $750 on a Galaxy. He's had it for a year, same with some other friends. It's a budget phone, but unless you need a high end camera or play video games, it does a great job at 1/3rd the price.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That's what guided me to MotoX 2nd, G4+, and now G5+. Completely 'good enough,' and highly recommended (except when it pissed me off sometimes, but I see a lot of that elsewhere too)

My buddy put me on to the G6 when I was about to drop like $750 on a Galaxy. He's had it for a year, same with some other friends. It's a budget phone, but unless you need a high end camera or play video games, it does a great job at 1/3rd the price.

Reaction Score
I have an Apple 4S and have been long due for a free upgrade. The phone gets used for calls and occasional text and works fine for my needs. Like me, it is old, out of date but I can't think of a good reason to upgrade. I'd be fine with a flip phone if my kids wouldn't laugh at me.

CL82

Reaction Score
Even though you missed the $29 battery replacement deal, Apple is only charging $49 now for the 7 IIRC. I’d investigate that first.

I had the battery replaced in my 2 year old 7 plus two months ago. I don’t see anything in the new phones that I must have, so my plan is to ride that new battery for a couple of years until 5G is widely deployed and many handsets are available.
Yeah, I was completely unaware of it. There's still this apparently. I think I may need a new lighting cable port as well though.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I have a Pixel 2 XL. I bought my wife one as well. If you don't buy them when they first come out there's usually some serious discounts or refurb'd ones for $500 to $700. I'll probably upgrade to the Pixel 4 xl when it arrives. Some of the new features like night shot are only available on the Pixel phones. As an Android user, I think its worth having a phone that has the latest upgrades to the system and doesn't have to wait on Motorola or Sony to "allow" he upgrades - ergo why I choose the Pixel line.

I think you have to buy a phone every 2-3 years as some of the components - memory size, memory chips, battery and physical aspects (screen and outside case) start to suffer performance issues. (iPhones in particular since iOS basically overwhelms phones that are 2 product cycles old).

I know I'm going to get some flack from some posters, but the least useful aspect of a "smart"phone is making calls - most people use them for taking pictures (which is why these new phones are so expensive - the optics and software are superior and expensive), texting, searching, and e-mailing.
I've also moved away from Apple products as the rate of innovation from Apple since Jobs died has decreased and the system seems really dated. People buy what they know and to me an iPhone is what I'd recommend for someone who needs a simple device.

So if you can afford one, every 2-3 years is the way to go imho.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I took my 70 year old parents to get their first (!!) smart phones about a month ago and tried to convince them an apple was actually the easiest to use but they weren’t hearing it. They were totally intimidated by just the notion of owning an iPhone and went with a cheap LG thing that is probably a nightmare to operate.

I’ve owned just about every type of cellphone and I think my favorite was actually the windows phone. Easy to use and super customizable. Only problem was access to apps. Almost nothing was compatible. Not sure if they even still make it but I’d have to imagine the google play “store” has sorted that out.

Reaction Score
I have an iphone 6s only 16 gb and will keep it until it doesn't work. I missed out on the $29.99 battery special apple ran last year but I'm tempted to get it changed in the next year before buying a new phone. I don't see a need to keep up with the Jones. I just need a phone that can call, text and use the internet. I obviously don't have many apps on my phone so that isn't important. I was tempted by the Iphone XR trade in special but the screen isn't that great and 5g is just around the corner. Better to wait.
There's a sign posted a Staples $29 for Iphone battery replacement. I still have an Iphone 6+ which i can upgrade but I don't feel the need to yet.

Reaction Score
What did you end up going to?
We’re an Apple family. Not because I’m a “fanboy” and I have nothing against Samsung or Android-based phones. It’s just so much easier for me to keep everyone’s stuff working on one platform.

I went with the XS. It’s crazy expensive, but the screen is beautiful and I like the optical 2x zoom on the camera. I didn’t feel like there was a real step up from the 6 to the 7, but the XS feels like a huge step forward. My eyes are finally going, so the extra screen real estate without a much bigger form factor is appreciated.

Reaction Score
I have an Apple 4S and have been long due for a free upgrade. The phone gets used for calls and occasional text and works fine for my needs. Like me, it is old, out of date but I can't think of a good reason to upgrade. I'd be fine with a flip phone if my kids wouldn't laugh at me.

Do you play Snake on that dinosaur?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My iPhone 7 is started to not to hold a charge and can be a twitchy about charging.

They will replace the battery for 29 dollars not sure about 7 might be 49.

Look into it.

Me? Every new phone version I upgrade. But thats just me, Mr. Vegas.

August_West

Reaction Score
think my favorite was actually the windows phone. Easy to use and super customizable

Windows phone was actually awesome. You are spot on. Too bad it got lost in the shuffle

CL82

Reaction Score
I’ve owned just about every type of cellphone and I think my favorite was actually the windows phone. Easy to use and super customizable.
That's what I liked about Androids. Apple is easy so long as you want do things their way. If you use a Mac and grew up on Apple products, it's perfect. If not, it's a bit of a pain in the A as the walk arounds are cumbersome. Manageable though.

Reaction Score
I have a Pixel 2 XL. I bought my wife one as well. If you don't buy them when they first come out there's usually some serious discounts or refurb'd ones for $500 to $700. I'll probably upgrade to the Pixel 4 xl when it arrives. Some of the new features like night shot are only available on the Pixel phones. As an Android user, I think its worth having a phone that has the latest upgrades to the system and doesn't have to wait on Motorola or Sony to "allow" he upgrades - ergo why I choose the Pixel line.

I think you have to buy a phone every 2-3 years as some of the components - memory size, memory chips, battery and physical aspects (screen and outside case) start to suffer performance issues. (iPhones in particular since iOS basically overwhelms phones that are 2 product cycles old).

I know I'm going to get some flack from some posters, but the least useful aspect of a "smart"phone is making calls - most people use them for taking pictures (which is why these new phones are so expensive - the optics and software are superior and expensive), texting, searching, and e-mailing.
I've also moved away from Apple products as the rate of innovation from Apple since Jobs died has decreased and the system seems really dated. People buy what they know and to me an iPhone is what I'd recommend for someone who needs a simple device.

So if you can afford one, every 2-3 years is the way to go imho.
I'm sold on pixel now too. I will probably upgrade to the 3 after the 4 comes out. I got my pixel 1 for like $300 shortly after the 2 came out

CL82

Reaction Score
They will replace the battery for 29 dollars not sure about 7 might be 49.

Look into it.

Me? Every new phone version I upgrade. But thats just me, Mr. Vegas.
Hey August, my biggest complaint is that the lighting cable connector fit is sloppy. Have to wiggle the cord to get it fit well enough to charge. Worth fixing?

August_West

Reaction Score
Hey August, my biggest complaint is that the lighting cable connector fit is sloppy. Have to wiggle the cord to get it fit well enough to charge. Worth fixing?

Clean it!

90% of the time you have crap hung up in there.

Very rarely does it need an actual port replacement .

Try this first.

August_West

Reaction Score
Your folks still paying the bill?

No.

Work. And I have to. Because I have to support a fleet of phones.

Reaction Score
I've had cell phones for about 25 years and changed them about every two years when all you had to do was plunk down $1 and agree to a two year contract.

When I bought my first Smart phone, a Samsung Infuse, about seven years ago (?), it cost me the usual $1 also, and when it started having charging issues four years ago I went with the new Moto-X for $1. Seeing a pattern here? To paraphrase Peter Sellers in the first Pink Panther movie, "I was raised to be frugal with the 'ousehold money".

Last year the Moto-X started to need a charge before the day was up, which was bothersome because I only use it for calls, email, net surfing and watching some short videos people send me. So, since the days of the $1 purchase were gone, I looked at sales prices at Best Buy for Motorola phones (principally the G6) and the new Samsung lineup, specifically the S8. I bought both phones (sale prices of $200 for the G6 and $450 for the S8) then read reviews from buyers of the G6 and the S8, and from some professionals (magazines, etc.) before downloading the users manuals for both phones.

Normally I would have bought the G6 because it was cheaper and 5G is "just around the corner" but the professional reviewer's ratings on the S8 camera and the "thickness" of the G6 (due somewhat to it's protruding camera lenses) convinced me to keep the S8 and return the G6.

The camera on the S8 is great, the AMOLED screen is vibrant, and I only have to charge it every second or third day, so I'm happy with it for what I use it for and didn't have to pay $1,000 or more to prove something to somebody.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I can't believe people still buy iphones.
Do you mean instead of something else?

or

Pay money for them because they might be had for free?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom