How Lindsay Gottlieb got to the NBA | The Boneyard

How Lindsay Gottlieb got to the NBA

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I found this interesting.

Rosas offered Gottlieb the head-coaching job of the Iowa Wolves, the Timberwolves' G League affiliate.

"We felt Lindsay had a real chance to be a head coach," Rosas says. "No knock on the Cavs, but we felt that with her breadth and knowledge, being an assistant instead of running her own team would let some of her talent go to waste. But she decided to go in a different direction, which of course I respect."

I might have tried the head coaching gig in the G-League. That might be a better route to an NBA head coach position than an assistant coach??

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Or “How Lindsey Gottlieb got out before being let go” was the alternative title of the article. Not sure she really can coach up anyone but hey, she’s doing what she loves... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Or “How Lindsey Gottlieb got out before being let go” was the alternative title of the article. Not sure she really can coach up anyone but hey, she’s doing what she loves... :rolleyes:
Some people are certainly better at getting jobs than they are actually doing them. It is also obvious that for two years she was focused on getting an NBA position rather than on the team she was supposed to be the head coach of. Because she certainly knew that once her contract ran out she would be gone, and needed to plan for a career after Cal, ethically she should have made some effort to ensure that the program wasn't a total wreak when she left. It was obvious that her priorities changed once she had a child, but when you are getting paid what she was the program deserved better. Her recent actions were just reflective of an individual who once they get a big contract extension, suddenly felt they no longer need to give the same effort.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Some people are certainly better at getting jobs than they are actually doing them. It is also obvious that for two years she was focused on getting an NBA position rather than on the team she was supposed to be the head coach of. Because she certainly knew that once her contract ran out she would be gone, and needed to plan for a career after Cal, ethically she should have made some effort to ensure that the program wasn't a total wreak when she left. It was obvious that her priorities changed once she had a child, but when you are getting paid what she was the program deserved better. Her recent actions were just reflective of an individual who once they get a big contract extension, suddenly felt they no longer need to give the same effort.
Good recap, though Most might argue her last good year was 2014-15 and it has been 4 years of diminishing returns. Turning to her Assistant Coach is a poor move by the school given the plethora of better credentialed Coaches, either mid-major HC or more successful assistant coaches than the one 5ey chose. This decision should make every other PAC12 save WSU very happy for the next 4 years.

Reaction Score
I would wait and give the new coach a chance. The fact that she actually played Chen ( the 6'7" chinese center ) against UConn shows me that she has better judgement than Gottlieb. Chen was actually productive when she was given a chance. The longer she was in the more confidence she got and the better she played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom