How is Leicester City doing it? | The Boneyard

How is Leicester City doing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They are winning the title in a way nobody has before. I thought this article was worth it's own post. I especially liked the explanation of their tactics and the reasons why they use them.

"Each team has had an acceptance that they cannot outplay every opponent; they cannot pass teams off the park. They are not the Barcelonas or Bayern Munichs of the modern era and perhaps failing to recognize this fact has been Arsenal’s biggest footballing failure in recent years. Leicester have no qualms with it."

Ouch; but, so true. One wins games by understanding what one's strengths and weakness, then develops a strategy that emphasizes strengths, covers weaknesses, and forces the opposition to play the game your way, not theirs.

Reaction Score
Mahrez and Vardy being two of the most prolific scorers this season hasn't hurt

Reaction Score
What's stunning is that a team that was almost relegated came back the next season and basically "hacked" The Prem with relative ease. And really if a "Big" club had the lead LC has now, then the press would basically say that the title chase is over.

Reaction Score
That was a good read; it's basically the same route my team in the Bundesliga (Mainz) has taken for years. We're a small club without the resources of Bayern, Dortmund, or Schalke but we find young guys who run like hell and keep pressure on the other teams. They tend to finish mid-table with a run toward Europe every 3-4 years.

Unfortunately, that process falls apart when we play some of the lower clubs that just park 10 men back.

Reaction Score
Mahrez and Vardy being two of the most prolific scorers this season hasn't hurt
True, and what is lost in all the hype Vardy and Mahrez are getting (rightfully so) is LC is defending so well too. They've kept a ton of clean sheets this season. They also have a lot of guys who are just starting to crack their countries national team rosters too. Good for them.

Reaction Score
my big question about the situation is - do they lose players to transfers this season prior to playing CL football? Add players? Add investors?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What's stunning is that a team that was almost relegated came back the next season and basically "hacked" The Prem with relative ease. And really if a "Big" club had the lead LC has now, then the press would basically say that the title chase is over.
Not only were they almost relegated, they needed a crazy string of wins to escape relegation in the last weeks of last season. Then they canned their manager, brought in someone new, and just dominated the league. It's really an unprecedented event.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As if it wasn't already hard enough for me, as a Spurs fan, to root against LC.

I can imagine. Men In Blazers mentioned that. A dream season for Spurs and they aren't the top story. Season isn't over though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom