How important having a first round NBA player has been to NCAA Tournament champions | The Boneyard

How important having a first round NBA player has been to NCAA Tournament champions

Reaction Score
Not exactly a hot take that having first round NBA talent on your roster is almost a must to winning a championship. Worth a read though.

Of the 45 men's college basketball national champions since 1976, the year of the NBA/ABA merger, 44 featured at least one first-round pick in a future NBA Draft.

Reaction Score
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Six First-rounders on our 2004 team is tied for most overall. Shabazz being the highest-drafted player on the 2014 roster at Pick #24 is the lowest on the list.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mission Accomplished Success GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Reaction Score
Not many will win it all without an All American. Also helps to have a sidekick.

UConn fans know a little bit about Championship Teams and All Americans (1st Team). Writers and pundits just need to ask the Yard.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
not this year
Did you read the article? It said in a future draft, i.e., not necessarily in this year’s draft. Or are you saying that there are no players on this year’s team who will be drafted in the first round in future years?

Call me crazy but I think we have few guys on this year’s roster who may get drafted in the first round in future years. I think it’s likely that at least one of them will.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Did you read the article? It said in a future draft, i.e., not necessarily in this year’s draft. Or are you saying that there are no players on this year’s team who will be drafted in the first round in future years?

Call me crazy but I think we have few guys on this year’s roster who may get drafted in the first round in future years. I think it’s likely that at least one of them will.

Agreed. Hawkins, Jackson, Sanogo, and Samson all have the potential. I'd be willing to bet at least one of them is drafted in the 1st.

Reaction Score
Did you read the article? It said in a future draft, i.e., not necessarily in this year’s draft.
yup didn't read it just assumed it meant the draft was the same year as the chip

having someone on a chip team drafted in the 1st round w/in 3 years is not surprising in the least

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's a chicken-and-the-egg argument to be had here. Particularly in the early years after the merger, drafting was a more inexact science. And it's worth asking: Were teams winning because they had more NBA talent, or were NBA teams at some level drawn to some of those players because they were winning?

Yeah poorly designed/researched. It doesn't tell you anything because the results themselves change the criteria. And it certainly doesn't tell you anything about who has the best shot before the tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom