How I Met Your Mother | The Boneyard

How I Met Your Mother

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't care what you clowns think, I like this show.

It dawn on me tonight that it's the last show on network television that I still watch - after next week, if it isn't sports, I don't know when I'll watch CBS, NBC or ABC again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The show is very, very good. I also don't watch much original programming on the networks. I can't think of anything i watch right now. I was popping in and out of Hannibal, but the show went on hiatus and i lost interest.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Love the show, but have never seen it "live". Only on reruns. When I first started watching it a couple years ago, didn't realize it was still on. Probably because I don't watch hardly any shows on Network TV.

Reaction Score
I like it too. Didn't start watching until a couple of years ago, but I'm caught up on the reruns and watch the new shows every week. Haven't enjoyed this season that much, don't like the idea of doing the whole season around one weekend.

Reaction Score
It was really good when it started but it jumped the shark a while ago. The last season and a half or two have been absolutely painful to watch to the point that I've just stopped. That musical episode they did this season was their ultimate low point and the final nail in the coffin that the writers have just run out of ideas.

Reaction Score
It was really good when it started but it jumped the shark a while ago. The last season and a half or two have been absolutely painful to watch to the point that I've just stopped. That musical episode they did this season was their ultimate low point and the final nail in the coffin that the writers have just run out of ideas.

They did one episode this year that I thought was really funny. It was from the mothers point of view. They redid the opening credits to show the mother and her friends and retitled the show "How Your Mother Met Me". Other than that, I really haven't enjoyed this season very much.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And the train crashed.

Reaction Score
The train they were waiting for coming off the tracks and crushing them at the station would have been a better ending.

Someone needs to go Nancy Kerrigan on Carter Bays

Reaction Score
So this really should have been titled "How I Met Your Dead Mother and Then Re-Married my Buddies Ex-Wife". I still liked the show though and will miss it. Barney with his baby girl was a nice moment.

Reaction Score
So this really should have been titled "How I Met Your Dead Mother and Then Re-Married my Buddies Ex-Wife". I still liked the show though and will miss it. Barney with his baby girl was a nice moment.
Good title, agree. For example if they are going to get those two together again why rub multiple breakup bangs in the viewers faces 20 minutes before the ending. Icky. No guy wants to get with a girl after someone they know well has also been there, the imagination never lets it go.

This was so simple yet so dramatically screwed up. They betrayed the title of how I met your mother with the bs tidy wrap-up. The show simply ends with the two of them talking on the platform and who the heck knows what happens next. The end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought that the last episode sucked. I was so disappointed in it that I probably won't ever watch a rerun of the show again.

From now on the expression "it met your mother" should be used to describe something fails miserably in the end. It may not catch on like "jump the shark", but it should.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Basically, in the very last 180 seconds, they threw out a set up that took an entire decade to build.

This was Dexter becoming a lumberjack bad.

Reaction Score
There's probably something I'm missing but this had to be top5 worst endings AND top 5 worst TV twists (chronologically:
Fonzie jumps shark
Oliver introduced on Brady Bunch
Pam finds Bobby Ewing in shower
Dexter lumberjack
Why I inexplicably still want to bonk Robin

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
On the spectrum of Sopranos and Cheers, where I think the endings were brilliant, to Seinfeld which was an unmitigated disaster, to Entourage, where I cried because they had ruined a great show with an idiotic ending, I would rate HIMYM ending as good, not great.

I wouldn't consider it a happy ending by the way. Robin basically wastes her life when she should have gone with the guy she met in the pilot. In a way, the show is a revenge fantasy for every guy that has ever been dumped or rejected.

Reaction Score
On the spectrum of Sopranos and Cheers, where I think the endings were brilliant, to Seinfeld which was an unmitigated disaster, to Entourage, where I cried because they had ruined a great show with an idiotic ending, I would rate HIMYM ending as good, not great.

I wouldn't consider it a happy ending by the way. Robin basically wastes her life when she should have gone with the guy she met in the pilot. In a way, the show is a revenge fantasy for every guy that has ever been dumped or rejected.
Interesting point on revenge fantasy, except I must repeat myself in saying the entire last 2 seasons where she is bonking her brains out with his best friend kind of dilute that.

I don't mind that the mother died and would have been fine with him getting back with Robin if she'd simply dated & married someone other than Barney. That made the entire exercise out of character, unrealistic, broke the viewer's spirit about caring and/or wanting it to happen and was dumb. Still a funny show sometimes, but plot sabotaged its last few years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I still think it was awful.

Let's build towards a scenario for a decade and then let's throw it out in the last three minutes of the series. And, oh by the way, let's also build towards a wedding for the better part of two years and throw that out in two sentences.

They say they always knew the ending - I'm gonna call BS on that. If they had a plan and it ended up like this, they had a bad plan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I still think it was awful.

Let's build towards a scenario for a decade and then let's throw it out in the last three minutes of the series. And, oh by the way, let's also build towards a wedding for the better part of two years and throw that out in two sentences.

They say they always knew the ending - I'm gonna call BS on that. If they had a plan and it ended up like this, they had a bad plan.

I had a problem with Robin and Barney getting married anyway. Most of us have known a few guys like Barney in our lives, and they either a) don't get married, or b) the marriages don't stick. Career focused, see the world, people like Robin may get married, but those also don't often stick unless the spouse is willing to completely sublimate all of their personal goals to the relationship. The entire last season was basically the two of them realizing they were making a mistake and being too afraid to bail out.

The mother dying also explained why the narrator was telling this incredibly long story to his kids when the mother wasn't even in the story. I also have no problem with them giving us a surprise at the end. Part of me was a little disappointed by the ending of Friends, because it looked like Ross and Rachel actually wouldn't end up together, which would have been an interesting way to go out.

I am amazed that the actors playing the kids kept this ending under wraps for almost a decade. That is unprecedented. The producers must have shot 5 or more different endings, if for no other reason than to hide the real ending. I believe all Teds' kids' reaction shots were shot in the first two seasons, and then they just did voice overs after that.

I feel the same way about this ending that I felt about the Sopranos, this ending is better the more I think about it.

Reaction Score
You are thinking too much. If 2 characters didn't belong together or shouldn't be married don't wed them to each other. If two characters do belong together you aren't going to convince your audience of this by spending two season separating them.
Meanwhile they made the mother really likable and bent over backwards to make her their protagonists dream girl b/c they knew their fans would revolt if the quest for a mother was empty. But then they made it empty anyway not out of art but because they had to stick to their premise that they'd long ago violated in a zillion ways.
In other words, I hope Ted dumps Robin in 2035 or whatever year it is.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You are thinking too much. If 2 characters didn't belong together or shouldn't be married don't wed them to each other. If two characters do belong together you aren't going to convince your audience of this by spending two season separating them.
Meanwhile they made the mother really likable and bent over backwards to make her their protagonists dream girl b/c they knew their fans would revolt if the quest for a mother was empty. But then they made it empty anyway not out of art but because they had to stick to their premise that they'd long ago violated in a zillion ways.
In other words, I hope Ted dumps Robin in 2035 or whatever year it is.

There are dozens of shows that get cancelled every year because they follow TV conventions and people get bored with them. HIMYM violated many conventions, and it was one of the best comedies on TV for a long time.

Reaction Score
There are dozens of shows that get cancelled every year because they follow TV conventions and people get bored with them. HIMYM violated many conventions, and it was one of the best comedies on TV for a long time.
We agree there, structure and framework of episodes are what made it good, they just screwed up the plot part. It could have gone down with Cheers and the like and still deserves a lot of groundbreaking credit for its zany aside structure. Funny show, good premise, nice run but falls outside top-20-30 comedies ever b/c it went off the rails its last few years and ended up in a ball of fire at final impact. I need to start watching Its Always Sunny more as right now Parks & Modern Family are the only comedies in my rotation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I agree.

I was on board until the last three minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom