How Hurley and staff scout recruits on summer showcase circuit | The Boneyard

How Hurley and staff scout recruits on summer showcase circuit

Reaction Score
From Dave Borges of the Register.

When UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley and his staff finish with team workouts Wednesday and head to various showcase events around the country, they will obviously be looking for potential 2023 and ’24 recruits.

They’ll see prime prospects whom they have already offered scholarships, like Scotty Middleton, Jaylin Stewart, Coen Carr and Youssouf Singare at the Peach Jam in North Augusta, South Carolina. They’ll dispatch coaches to an Under Armour event in Chicago and an Adidas event in Los Angeles to search for future talent.

Alternate free link:

How UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley and staff scout recruits on summer showcase circuit

Reaction Score
Another big takeaway from the article

Why does UConn put so much stock in watching players who have already committed to the program? Quite simply, the staff’s philosophy is to make sure their committed players are seen every game, every day when possible. Hurley and his staff, as their future coaches, feel it’s important to support those players if they want to talk about the game they just played or anything else, really.

Reaction Score

Why does UConn put so much stock in watching players who have already committed to the program? Quite simply, the staff’s philosophy is to make sure their committed players are seen every game, every day when possible. Hurley and his staff, as their future coaches, feel it’s important to support those players if they want to talk about the game they just played or anything else, really.
Also super interesting that the Solo article talked about how he picks their brains after games for feedback

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
One tangential question is, since it seems like we’ll have at least 4 commits in the 2023 class, in the era of the transfer portal what is the ideal size of the recruiting class coming from high school? I’m sure the staff has thought about it plenty, but assuming (fingers crossed) most years we’re adding more than we’re losing, the high school recruiting classes should shrink.

Reaction Score
One tangential question is, since it seems like we’ll have at least 4 commits in the 2023 class, in the era of the transfer portal what is the ideal size of the recruiting class coming from high school? I’m sure the staff has thought about it plenty, but assuming (fingers crossed) most years we’re adding more than we’re losing, the high school recruiting classes should shrink.
Philosophically, I think ideally you build the team with freshmen. And then you fill weaknesses through transfer portal. You can get a quality transfer to come be a starter, but can't really get them to be bench players unless they have some warts or you get lucky. So then in practice most of your bench players are freshmen/sophs who came as HS recruits. Of those, when they're juniors you make tough decisions on the ones that will never be starters and replace them with transfer starters. And obviously always looking out for good other transfer opportunities and dealing with unplanned departures. So you pretty much just have normal-sized HS recruiting classes, but swap in and our as rosters require.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Any Chicago yarders going to watch Castle? I could possibly make a game on Thursday or Friday.

Reaction Score
Philosophically, I think ideally you build the team with freshmen. And then you fill weaknesses through transfer portal. You can get a quality transfer to come be a starter, but can't really get them to be bench players unless they have some warts or you get lucky. So then in practice most of your bench players are freshmen/sophs who came as HS recruits. Of those, when they're juniors you make tough decisions on the ones that will never be starters and replace them with transfer starters. And obviously always looking out for good other transfer opportunities and dealing with unplanned departures. So you pretty much just have normal-sized HS recruiting classes, but swap in and our as rosters require.
Might be a good plan but it definitely went astray last season.

Reaction Score

The staff treat those kids as if they're already in the program and want to work with them to improve their game. Terrific attitude, and also helps select for the kids who want their recruitment to be about basketball, not about hype.

Reaction Score
to echo others i dont think staff should intentionally leave spots open for portal players to fill when they dont know who will be available in the portal. staff also has a fraction of the time to recruit a transfer as opposed to a highschool player who they can ideally watch for 2-3 years.

i like what they did this spring which was filling the holes left by the unexpected departures of diggins, gaff, floyd, and akok. by unexpected i mean that going into the year hurley and/or the players didn't know they'd be leaving even if it became apparent to one or the other as the season went along.

Reaction Score

Certainly a welcome change from the Kevin Ollie era. If remember correctly, wasn’t there some recruit that decommitted since Ollie didn’t go see him once after he committed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom