How has UConn improved over last year? | The Boneyard

How has UConn improved over last year?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Which player is better than last season? The team added two highly recruited freshmen plus have Gilbert back. Are we materially better overall than last season?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carlton, Whaley and Adams improved.

Gilbert regressed which has hurt alot.

Tough week but it is a long year....

Bouknight needs to play 30+ minutes a game....

Reaction Score
Recruiting has improved, but I don’t think thats what the OP is asking. More talent is coming. Next year we add RJ Cole who has already proven he can play at the D1 level. Andre Jackson looks good and Javonte Brown Ferguson is raw but has a ton of upside. I really wish we can add a grad transfer like Shonn Miller. We need more muscle down low.

Reaction Score
We clearly miss JA on the offensive end. Those that critized him last year must concur now.
The problem with JA's teams is there was no inside presence. This team is a little better off inside (Akok), but there's no JA scoring now. AG shots aren't falling and drives get swatted. CV isn't big time enough, inconsistent and makes head scratching decisions. Bouk can hopefully be that guy but had a late start and is still green. I do think Bouk should be in the starting lineup now and take Polley's minutes. Let Polley be the 6 man assassin. We played a 3 guard offense last year, maybe we should try it again this year. As both CV and Bouk are good rebounders that get more than Polley anyway. The overlap time today when AG and Bouk were both in, the ball movement looked much better because Bouk moves off the ball, but Bouk was missing his shots.

Reaction Score
Hurley certainly could do better for sure, but he has had 1 recruiting class added to a bad team from last year who's best player graduated(Adams). I mean our 2 best players are freshman. To me this was always going to take 3 or 4 years for a total rebuild. The upperclassmen seem like great kids, but they are undersized and underskilled despite what their high school ranking was 3 or 4 years ago. It's tough to be patient after the last 3 or 4 years, but that's exactly what this requires. In my view, Hurley gets 4 years, which is 2 more after this year to turn this around.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
If you step back and look at how this team has performed since the start of the season there are have been games or stretches of games where they looked like a much deeper team than they did last season. We saw 9-10 players contribute and begin to discover their roles. This gives them the ability to wear teams down over the course of the game. Certainly the addition of Akok, Bouknight, and Gaffney have made a difference in terms of depth. We have also seen Whaley play at times as good or better than he ever has. Seeing Carlton get 8-10 rebounds or more and also score in the paint was also a great improvement, but what happened to that? In my opinion, Vital and Gilbert have not really improved which points to a core issue which is floor leadership, which I don't think is there as it should be. Polley's strength is obviously in his three-point shooting but he has also shown he can be a solid defender. As a whole we have seen this team defend well, better than last year, but these last couple of games they've gotten away from that. Their defense is not creating turnovers which result in points. The thing is the they seem to have the pieces to at the very least be competitive but they need to put them together and develop a WINNING mindset, which they are lacking at the present time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Recruiting has improved, but I don’t think thats what the OP is asking. More talent is coming. Next year we add RJ Cole who has already proven he can play at the D1 level. Andre Jackson looks good and Javonte Brown Ferguson is raw but has a ton of upside. I really wish we can add a grad transfer like Shonn Miller. We need more muscle down low.
Don’t forget about Richie Springs!

Reaction Score
If you step back and look at how this team has performed since the start of the season there are have been games or stretches of games where they looked like a much deeper team than they did last season. We saw 9-10 players contribute and begin to discover their roles. This gives them the ability to wear teams down over the course of the game. Certainly the addition of Akok, Bouknight, and Gaffney have made a difference in terms of depth. We have also seen Whaley play at times as good or better than he ever has. Seeing Carlton get 8-10 rebounds or more and also score in the paint was also a great improvement. In my opinion, Vital and Gilbert have not really improved which points to a core issue which is floor leadership, which I don't think is there as it should be. Polley's strength is obviously in his three-point shooting but he has also shown he can be a solid defender. As a whole we have seen this team defend well, better than last year. The thing is they need to put all the pieces together and develop a WINNING mindset, which they are lacking at the present time.
This. Both within games and during seasons, these upperclassment tend to be at their worst when adversity hits. Fall behind in a game...it snowballs. A few losses and it gets worse as the season goes on. They seem to get down on themselves and just give in.

Reaction Score
Yes. Has there been any word on how he’s doing in practice so far?
Haven’t heard much, but it’s good to have a 6’9”-6’10”ish guy who’s still growing and seems to have a strong frame to keep up with the big boys in the NBE.

Reaction Score
Back in 1988 we went to Purdue and got abused by 15 in a game we seemed completely overmatched. Keady had a big white center we could not stop and we were just out matched physically all game long. It seemed like we would never be able to measure up size wise with the big boys. Things changed. The present lack of talent will get corrected. Especially when we get a point guard to help our newer and incoming front court players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom