OT - How has Sean Miller not won a title yet? | The Boneyard

OT - How has Sean Miller not won a title yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The guy is a scary good recruiter, and probably the only other guy on the squid's level right now (as great a job as Ollie is doing, he's still not even close). Imagine if he was 10 toes in with the talent he brings in down there. It's looking likely that Zona's class this year might look something like:

pg: Briscoe
sg: Trier
sf: Smith
pf: Rabb
c: Zimmerman

That's fab 5 good right there, but I'd still bet all my money (or at least just a little bit) that Ollie cuts down the nets (again) first.

Reaction Score
He's not that great of a coach, solid, but not great

Reaction Score
The last play he drew up vs Wisconsin had me rofl

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
James said:
Yup. Turrible, just turrible. (/sir Charles)
As opposed to that thing of beauty KO drew up at end of regulation against st joes it worked so well Bazz actually rushed the shot and he had time to gather,

Reaction Score
Miller's a damn good coach, but you also need more than talent to win a championship...you need some luck, too. Lately, Miller hasn't had much of it. In 2011, he was virtually a coin flip away from advancing to the final four - and knocking out two coaching legends in consecutive games - but Fogg's shot was just off. In 2013, LaQuinton Ross's game-winning three went the other way, and Ohio State advanced to the elite eight while Arizona went home. This past season, Arizona was undefeated into February when Brandon Ashley went down for the year, and they weren't quite the same after that.

Point being, the guy is 45-years-old, and he's already come within whispering distance of the final four a few times. And for those who think he's all recruiting and no coaching, he did bring Xavier to consecutive sweet sixteens, got to the elite eight in 2008, and came within a free throw of knocking off a loaded Ohio State team in 2007. He knows what he's doing and he'd sure as hell be at the top of my list in the unfortunate scenario that we're looking for a coach anytime soon.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Miller's a damn good coach, but you also need more than talent to win a championship...you need some luck, too. Lately, Miller hasn't had much of it. In 2011, he was virtually a coin flip away from advancing to the final four - and knocking out two coaching legends in consecutive games - but Fogg's shot was just off. In 2013, LaQuinton Ross's game-winning three went the other way, and Ohio State advanced to the elite eight while Arizona went home. This past season, Arizona was undefeated into February when Brandon Ashley went down for the year, and they weren't quite the same after that.

Point being, the guy is 45-years-old, and he's already come within whispering distance of the final four a few times. And for those who think he's all recruiting and no coaching, he did bring Xavier to consecutive sweet sixteens, got to the elite eight in 2008, and came within a free throw of knocking off a loaded Ohio State team in 2007. He knows what he's doing and he'd sure as hell be at the top of my list in the unfortunate scenario that we're looking for a coach anytime soon.

Took JC a while too. Not saying Miller is JC of course, but just that, you often need to go through the ringer a few times before getting over the top.

Reaction Score
It took JC 15 years to get to the FF and we speak of him enthroned on Mt Olympus.
He had Ray Allen,and many other Stars. Teams that had significant runs as the Number 1 team in the country. He also had a few 1 seeds.
Sometimes I don't think Our fans grasp the difficulty of winning one,let alone multiple times.

Reaction Score
AZHuskiePop said:
It took JC 15 years to get to the FF and we speak of him enthroned on Mt Olympus. He had Ray Allen,and many other Stars. Teams that had significant runs as the Number 1 team in the country. He also had a few 1 seeds. Sometimes I don't think Our fans grasp the difficulty of winning one,let alone multiple times.

Meh - took Ollie 2 years and I was a little disappointed in him for not figuring out a way to win in the first year while banned. Be creative - show up early in Michigan's locker room, then tell them that the game had to be moved to the Kingdome in Seattle. By the time they show up and realize the Kingdome was torn down years ago, you've won the title.

On second thought, even if we pulled that off, we would have still had to play Louisville. Perhaps we should have sent Louisville to Seattle and played Michigan.

Reaction Score
Meh - took Ollie 2 years and I was a little disappointed in him for not figuring out a way to win in the first year while banned. Be creative - show up early in Michigan's locker room, then tell them that the game had to be moved to the Kingdome in Seattle. By the time they show up and realize the Kingdome was torn down years ago, you've won the title.

On second thought, even if we pulled that off, we would have still had to play Louisville. Perhaps we should have sent Louisville to Seattle and played Michigan.
What does Michigan have to do with anything?

Reaction Score
The guy is a scary good recruiter, and probably the only other guy on the squid's level right now (as great a job as Ollie is doing, he's still not even close). Imagine if he was 10 toes in with the talent he brings in down there. It's looking likely that Zona's class this year might look something like:

pg: Briscoe
sg: Trier
sf: Smith
pf: Rabb
c: Zimmerman

That's fab 5 good right there, but I'd still bet all my money (or at least just a little bit) that Ollie cuts down the nets (again) first.
We won our last two titles for a lot of reasons but the biggest reason is we had the best player on the floor in both championship runs. Kemba and Bazz willed those championships and the opposition was outcoached.
I like Miller as a coach and if he gets the players your list that is one hell of a class; very Kentucky like.
Ollie seemed to have all the qualifications to be a good head coach before he got the job. Then we saw how hard the kids played. The Michigan State game in Germany game comes to mind. It was obvious early on that Ollie had the ability to motivate his team and get them to play hard. But if you really want to know if a guy can coach watch what happens the first possession after a time out. WE always seem to score or at the very least get a very good shot. I remember thinking, holy crap we really have something here. It seems like JC knew something when he manipulated events to get Ollie the job.

Reaction Score
He'll get one very soon, maybe this year before that class ever sees the court. Stanley Johnson is coming in now and he's better than anyone on that list.

And that "fab five" class is a bit of a reach seeing as he only has 1 of them right now. And I don't see Trier and Briscoe ending up on the same team in any circumstance.

Reaction Score
I think a major issue for Miller is he recruits so well the kids don't stick around the program long enough for him to win.
It was mentioned in this thread how in 2011 and 2014 we won by having the best player on the floor and great coaching. In many cases having that extra year of experience in the tourney or whatnot makes the difference between a team advancing and a team continuously coming close but not quite.

Reaction Score
Probably would have won in 2011....but Kemba.

And a favorable rim. That was a damn good shot that player (forget his name) had.

Amazing how a couple of inches can change destiny. It was Kemba's year that's for sure!

Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't look at him as anything special as a coach. He recruits well. But then again, Arizona has recruited well for most of the past 25 years.

Reaction Score
The last play against UConn, too. Williams is your best player, but taking a deep three maybe not the best move, since he'd had a little success on the inside that tournament.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Bc he hasn't had a get'em guy ( I think bill self coined that during our 2011 run. A guy who can go get you points, rebounds, steals, pump up your team etc. most if not all championship teams have that guy. That star. He's had great players but not superstar. But like others have said it hasn't been that long and he'll get one soon

Reaction Score
Bc he hasn't had a get'em guy ( I think bill self coined that during our 2011 run. A guy who can go get you points, rebounds, steals, pump up your team etc. most if not all championship teams have that guy. That star. He's had great players but not superstar. But like others have said it hasn't been that long and he'll get one soon

Derrick Williams in 2011 certainly qualifies...our guy was better tho, as well as the sidekick in Lamb. That Arizona team didn't have a 2nd player at the level of Lamb when he played at his peak that year.

Reaction Score
This mind set is so dumb.

It's like half our fan base forgot what we went through between 1990-1998. You need a ton of breaks and luck to advance to the Final 4 and win it all in March. If Laettner misses that shot we make the Final 4 right off the bat. If Donyell makes 1 free throw we play BC for the Final 4. If Tyus Edney doesn't go coast to coast against Missouri we may very well have won a National Title in 1995. We played #1 UNC in front of 20,000 of their fans and were within a point with 4 mins to go. But Calhoun couldn't get the "monkey" off his back until the final buzzer sounded against Gonzaga in 1999. He didn't become any better a coach that day than he was before.

Reaction Score
This thread is pretty ridiculous.

Guy is a great coach. The only time he has ever been bounced in the tournament by a lower seed was this year when he lost as the 1 to the 2 seed (they were 21-0 before Ashley got hurt). He maximizes his talent, that is what great coaches do.

He is a shot away from falling from 2 final fours in 4 years, and if either of those shots fall he may have a title.

Anyone who does not think this guy is a really really good coach just does not get it.

Winning titles is hard, very very hard.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This thread is pretty ridiculous.

Guy is a great coach. The only time he has ever been bounced in the tournament by a lower seed was this year when he lost as the 1 to the 2 seed (they were 21-0 before Ashley got hurt). He maximizes his talent, that is what great coaches do.

He is a shot away from falling from 2 final fours in 4 years, and if either of those shots fall he may have a title.

Anyone who does not think this guy is a really really good coach just does not get it.

Not saying he's a bad coach in the least, but if he was maxing his talent, he'd be a National Champion. They've had tons of talent and have yet to win it. Probably will at some point though.

Reaction Score
Not saying he's a bad coach in the least, but if he was maxing his talent, he'd be a National Champion. They've had tons of talent and have yet to win it. Probably will at some point though.
They essentially trotted out 5 burger boys. kaleb, rhj, nick johnson, gabe york. oh and this guy named aaron gordon. but oh lets wait till he gets the monkey off his back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom