How Good Is Jonquel Jones? | The Boneyard

How Good Is Jonquel Jones?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have thought for a while that the Sun are fortunate to have one of the best players in the WNBA: Jonquel Jones. Even last year, I thought that she made more of an impact than Chiney Ogwumike or anyone else on that very good 2018 team.

After Monday night's exhibition game against the Liberty, I was all ready to rate her near the top of the league's talent ladder, potentially as good as EDD or a healthy Breanna Stewart. In that game, in 19 minutes she scored 19 points, shooting 4-for-8 from 3-point range and 7-for-13 overall. She also had 4 rebounds and 2 blocks.

Unfortunately, on Tuesday night against Dallas, despite having equally good scoring chances, she went 0-for-5 from 3 and 4-for-14 overall for 10 points in 20 minutes. But she did haul down 14 rebounds, including 4 offensive rebounds. She missed at least two easy layups -- possibly more.

She is a 6-6 mobile post player who gets all the rebounds that a player of her size should get, and protects the rim as well as anyone except maybe Ms. Griner. And she is still early in her career. Her body language suggests that she is happy with the team with her situation, which makes me think she may have a long career in Connecticut ahead of her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have thought for a while that the Sun are fortunate to have one of the best players in the WNBA: Jonquel Jones. Even last year, I thought that she made more of an impact than Chiney Ogwumike or anyone else on that very good 2018 team.

After Monday night's exhibition game against the Liberty, I was all ready to rate her near the top of the league's talent ladder, potentially as good as EDD or a healthy Breanna Stewart. In that game, in 19 minutes she scored 19 points, shooting 4-for-8 from 3-point range and 7-for-13 overall. She also had 4 rebounds and 2 blocks.

Unfortunately, on Tuesday night against Dallas, despite having equally good scoring chances, she went 0-for-5 from 3 and 4-for-14 overall for 10 points in 20 minutes. But she did haul down 14 rebounds, including 4 offensive rebounds. She missed at least two easy layups -- possibly more.

She is a 6-6 mobile post player who gets all the rebounds that a player of her size should get, and protects the rim as well as anyone except maybe Ms. Griner. And she is still early in her career. Her body language suggests that she is happy with the team with her situation, which makes me think she may have a long career in Connecticut ahead of her.

She has MVP potential when she puts it together like she did at the end of last season and the previous year. Extremely mobile, good handles, good jumper and great size and athleticism inside. Lots of similarities between her and Candace Parker. Last year Jones had a tendency to settle for jump shots instead of posting up on the block and dominating the glass inside. If she remembers that she's 6-6 and stays primarily on the block, she's going to be great. Chiney demanding a trade may be a net positive for Connecticut since Jones gets more touches inside.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jonquel was highly rated in high school, #17 overall in the strong 2012 (Stewie's) class. After being selected as a McDonald's All-American, she started at Clemson and transferred closer to home to GWU. She was under the radar in college, but is really good. She is a rare combination of 6'6", a dunker, a strong rebounder, and a good 3-point shooter.

Reaction Score
Jones is good but I don’t think she’s close to anything special, she can handle in the open court like a lot of tall players, but getting rebounds and blocks when your almost always the tallest player on the court should be expected. She does seem like a great teammate though.

Reaction Score
Jonquel was highly rated in high school, #17 overall in the strong 2012 (Stewie's) class. After being selected as a McDonald's All-American, she started at Clemson and transferred closer to home to GWU. She was under the radar in college, but is really good. She is a rare combination of 6'6", a dunker, a strong rebounder, and a good 3-point shooter.
Also interesting to note is that she was only 6”2 in HoopGurlz. 4inch growth spurt in college. That’s crazy.

Reaction Score
Jonquel kind of reminds of Joel Embid. In his last series he spent way too much time on the perimeter, and not in the paint.

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, coming out of Riverdale Baptist, HoopGurlz listed Jones at 6-2. Not sure how accurate that was, but definitely possible that she is someone that benefitted from a late growth spurt, having developed the tools required to be a 6-2 F, but then she sprouts up to 6-6.

Reaction Score
HoopGurlz after they cut down their staff often became remiss in updating their stats. Not to say it is impossible to pick up 4 inches in college but it is more than likely that at least a portion of that happened in high school.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Also interesting to note is that she was only 6”2 in HoopGurlz. 4inch growth spurt in college. That’s crazy.

I wish Aubrey Griffin would have a 4” growth spurt the next 4 years.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
HoopGurlz after they cut down their staff often became remiss in updating their stats. Not to say it is impossible to pick up 4 inches in college but it is more than likely that at least a portion of that happened in high school.

Before you attack Hoopgurlz, here a few things to consider.

Jonquel Jones was 6-2 when she signed with Clemson. Here is the release, from November 9, 2011:
"Jonquel Jones (Riverdale Baptist; Upper Marlboro, MD) is the highest-rated signee. The native of the Bahamas is 6-foot-2..."

And, one year later, when she was enrolled at Clemson and about to begin her freshman year, she had grown to 6-4. Here is the 2012-13 Season Outlook, dated November 9, 2012:
"With the solid foundation of the players in place, Coleman welcomes the nation’s 16th-ranked recruiting class, which includes what Coleman hopes is a franchise-player in Jonquel Jones. Jones, a 6-4 wing from the Bahamas..."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom