How Geno Auriemma Wants Athletes to Play 1-on-1 Defense! | The Boneyard

How Geno Auriemma Wants Athletes to Play 1-on-1 Defense!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Really good video. It has been posted previously, but If anyone has not seen it now is their chance

It got by me. I've learned that everyone does not see videos or pictures posted the first time around. There are so many things being posted these days, unless you spend a lot of time here in the yard, you can miss a few. :eek:

A question...........looking at this video, it's obviously only one drill of many that ALL of the team members are expected to learn and master. IF freshmen have trouble mastering this and other drills or concepts quickly, but rather over the first 4 months of the season, is it unreasonable not to give them meaningful minutes until they do?

If they can't do this (and other drills) in practice to the coach's satisfaction, and don't understand or "get" the assignments on defense, can/should they be expected to do it in a game? When they learn this, they move on to another drill, but not until then. Learn drill#1 first, then we move on to #2. Not all coaches do that, which is why their play is not consistent at times.

There is a reason they don't get into most games until the last 2-3 minutes. At this time of the season, the drop off is not as steep when they come in as it was earlier, but hey still need a lot of work. This is UConn basketball. We all know the standard (and expectation) is much higher here than at other schools. W also know everyone is held accountable everyday. No days off. Another thing that sometimes gets overlooked is the quality of the coaching players get. Some coaches are better and more effective than others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Wow, coulda used that about 50+ years ago....................:confused:

Reaction Score
It got by me. I've learned that everyone does not see videos or pictures posted the first time around. There are so many things being posted these days, unless you spend a lot of time here in the yard, you can miss a few. :eek:

A question......looking at this video, it's obviously only one drill of many that ALL of the team members are expected to learn and master. IF freshmen have trouble mastering this and other drills or concepts quickly, but rather over the first 4 months of the season, is it unreasonable not to give them meaningful minutes until they do?

If they can't do this (and other drills) in practice to the coach's satisfaction, and don't understand or "get" the assignments on defense, can/should they be expected to do it in a game? When they learn this, they move on to another drill, but not until then. Learn drill#1 first, then we move on to #2. Not all coaches do that, which is why their play is not consistent at times.

There is a reason they don't get into most games until the last 2-3 minutes. At this time of the season, the drop off is not as steep when they come in as it was earlier, but hey still need a lot of work. This is UConn basketball. We all know the standard (and expectation) is much higher here than at other schools. W also know everyone is held accountable everyday. No days off. Another thing that sometimes gets overlooked is the quality of the coaching players get. Some coaches are better and more effective than others.

Great points. And also, because learning is a process that each do at a different pace, it may go on for literally seasons before a technique is mastered by some. And because practice time is limited, I think the focus has to be on the players who are farthest along - they're the ones who will have the greatest impact. A convoluted way of saying that for me at least, watching this drill (notice who was in it) made it very clear why most freshmen don't play much.

Reaction Score
That raised my estimation of Shea as a coach. That was excellent coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom