How does Whitmer not = building for future | The Boneyard

How does Whitmer not = building for future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whitmer is back next season. If he's the guy that gives the team the best chance to win, why is he not playing? I really wish we could see him with much better line play. Another year of mediocre football sets the program back. If Whitmer gives us the best chance to win this season AND next season, he should play.

Who really honestly cares if Boyle or Cochran play next season? They don't develop as much for their soph and junior years? Who cares? Is that really going to help them 2-3 years down the line? Seriously? If Whitmer is the best option next season, redshirt Boyle and Cochran and play Whitmer. And get Whitmer back on the field ASAP. At least him, Davis and Phillips play with a rhythm.

Not playing the best QB, who gives you the best chance to win because you want to see the younger guy(s) develop, is like benching Deandre Daniels because we think Brimah is going to be good.

Reaction Score
I am not convinced Whitmer gives this team the best chance to win. He started for a year and several games. He was underwhelming, to put it as nicely as I can.

With that said, players can improved during the offseason. Chandler should absolutely be involved in the competition to start next year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Whitmer is back next season. If he's the guy that gives the team the best chance to win, why is he not playing? I really wish we could see him with much better line play. Another year of mediocre football sets the program back. If Whitmer gives us the best chance to win this season AND next season, he should play.

Who really honestly cares if Boyle or Cochran play next season? They don't develop as much for their soph and junior years? Who cares? Is that really going to help them 2-3 years down the line? Seriously? If Whitmer is the best option next season, redshirt Boyle and Cochran and play Whitmer. And get Whitmer back on the field ASAP. At least him, Davis and Phillips play with a rhythm.

Not playing the best QB, who gives you the best chance to win because you want to see the younger guy(s) develop, is like benching Deandre Daniels because we think Brimah is going to be good.

I agree 100%.

All I can say for Weist is that I truly hope that he feels Cochran gives us the best chance to win. My gut tells me that is not the case, since he didn't feel that way three weeks ago. Also, since he was the OC under PP, I'm also guessing that he didn't feel Boyle gave us the best chance either, or he likely would have pushed for him to start prior to PP's dismissal. I found it curious that PP's final decision on the way out was to "suggest" that Weist play Boyle instead...

Reaction Score
If you can look at any one of the quarterbacks we've started this year and think to yourself, "That is definitely the QB of the future," then I want to share the drugs you're consuming.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If you can look at any one of the quarterbacks we've started this year and think to yourself, "That is definitely the QB of the future," then I want to share the drugs you're consuming.

I think the real problem is that neither Weist nor PP seems to know who "the QB of the present" is either... :confused:

Reaction Score
For all of Chandler's good qualities, he is, sadly, an interception machine. He threw 4 picks in last JC game and has not been able to shake that habit here. Now there might be a lot of reasons as to why but bottom line 14 TDs 22 INTs.

Not giving up on Boyle. I think all the drops in vs USF game spooked him.

But his footwork and release are significantly behind CC's. Of course CC had a poor 4th quarter yesterday but he showed he could move the O and seems to have some leadership skills. He did get UConn over 20 for the first time on the road and 1st time in six games. Stay with him until the end of the year.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Yeah, they've all been bad. They are mostly all equal, but one guy is 3 years older than the other 2. If Whitmer were a Freshman, I'd guess he'd be getting the same shot Boyle and Cochran are.

Reaction Score

I take it you did not get to see or hear the game? That and you have not seen Brimah yet either? Then you comment negative... ????????

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
When you have 3 (equal) QBs you have no QB. The Blue-White will be very interesting next spring.

Reaction Score

Towson. If you can't get it done against Towson (13 points) then when can you get it done? Whitmer has no upside. You can't put your future on a guy with no upside that can't beat Towson.

Reaction Score
I don't think its fair to say Casey has been bad. He has done much better than the other two in terms of reads, finding open receivers and moving the ball. He made mistakes in the 4th quarter because he got desperate to score. Mistakes don't seem to be a general problem with Casey. He is pretty much mistake free most of the time.

However, Casey appears to lack the arm of Boyle and Boyle is a little better scrambling, though not much. If you are looking at this as a two QB race for next year, (assuming Chandler is done) you want to see Boyle get the composure Casey has and you want to see Casey get the arm Boyle has.

Unfortunately for Casey, you can't teach a strong throwing arm and all the weight lifting in the world won't build one, it's genetic. So, I consider it up to Boyle to learn the moxie and composure thing ASAP. For Casey, he has to do everything he can to increase his arm strength and refine his on field awareness even more. The reason Casey is viable at 6'0" is his ability to read the defense. When you can read defenses like that you know where your options are going to be and you don't need vision of the whole field quite as much. For a guy that is "too short", he sees his receivers in a split second, it's amazing actually.

Reaction Score
Putting Whitmer back in seems like a great idea until he throws into triple coverage after staring down the same receiver for a few seconds.

Reaction Score
Moxie is a good word. Casey does have Moxie and leadership charisma and you need that at the QB position. I don't think we have had that since TL. Casey fires up his teammates.

As far as arm strength goes Casey is a lot like McEntee in that he can generate plenty of zip on the ball if he can go through his windup. He needs his legs to throw the ball whereas Boyle can just sling it.

For a RS freshman starting his first game Casey did a great job. I can't wait for Saturday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you have 3 (equal) QBs you have no QB. The Blue-White will be very interesting next spring.

I expect they will all step it up to some degree next year, but I've lowered my expectations of the Spring Game as a definitive barometer of anything other than testing new tailgate equipment. It will certainly be interesting to see the approach of a new staff though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This entire thread is living in the past somewhat. I think we all see the line and RB playing better these last few weeks, and before Saturday we had three of our best opponents in the last.four weeks.

CW would have done better with a better line. Boyle would have done better against the weaker defenses.

Deck chairs keeps coming to mind.

Reaction Score
Put me in the boat that says that who starts doesn't matter. But I like Cochran simply because he probably feels confident at the moment.

Reaction Score
Towson. If you can't get it done against Towson (13 points) then when can you get it done? Whitmer has no upside. You can't put your future on a guy with no upside that can't beat Towson.

Well then I guess our entire defense is toast for the next couple of years then....

Same defense that held Louisville to 17.

Reaction Score
I take it you did not get to see or hear the game? That and you have not seen Brimah yet either? Then you comment negative... ????????

Which game? Seen them all. The rationale on this board for not playing the older guy because the younger guys need experience, when the older guy is back next season is ludicrous. Whitmer clearly has better chemistry with Davis and Phillips. It's night and day. Put him behind a better line and I'm sure he's not forcing things as much.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I noticed you didn't call it a scrimmage, game, or practice. I'm hoping it is a game and I hope they bring in a true announcer as if it is a game. If the regular PA guy is otherwise occupied, bring in his back up. Bring in actual referees, even if they are high school officials. The 2013 variety was painful to watch.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Kind of hard to talk about who the QB should be next year when we don't know who the coach will be....or even which QBs will be on the roster.

I think everyone gets a fair shot in the spring and we start all over again. This season is a mess and I am sure the new coach will take that into consideration. Hard to evaluate any of them at his point. I can't tell if it is coaching or talent right now.

I think the new coach publicly states all jobs are up for grabs and he will put in whoever works best in his system.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Put me in the boat that says that who starts doesn't matter. But I like Cochran simply because he probably feels confident at the moment.
On one hand, yes he appears to have confidence. On the other hand, Cochran was facing a less potent defense than Boyle did in his starts, with the possible exception of USF.

Reaction Score
On one hand, yes he appears to have confidence. On the other hand, Cochran was facing a less potent defense than Boyle did in his starts, with the possible exception of USF.

Hey, if that helps his confidence then that works.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Just to say "Towson" is flawed logic. Those guys blew us off the ball on both sides of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom