How does UCONN have depth? | The Boneyard

How does UCONN have depth?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Assuming Samuelson has a minor injury UCONN currently has 6 very competent players and a 7th (Walker) who is close to being competent. She has an issue with scoring. The remaining players are the cleanup crew for blowouts. Camara is injured and has yet to demonstrate her competence. Bent is getting lots of time in the games but not showing much. Irwin may have a knack playing with Stevens. She had two good assists with Stevens, But she still seems lost on offense. Espinoza for me has shown some progress. Coombs and Gordon still exhibit the "deer in the headlights" look. Where is the depth? What do the optimistic folks have to say? I have faith. By January there will be real depth. I talking today.

Starters

• Samuelson (injured?)
  • Collier
  • Nurse
  • Williams
  • Dangerfield
Competent Subs
  • Stevens
Close to Competent Sub
  • Walker - scoring concern (Sr. HS 3pt 29%, 2pt 46%)
Cleanup Crew
  • Bent
  • Irwin
  • Coombs
  • Gordon
  • Espinoza-Hunter
Injured
  • Camara

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As this season goes on 1 or 2 more freshies will step forward. Honestly if Lexi's conditioning wasn't such a factor she, I believe, would be 3rd off the bench instead of last. Give these young ladies a minute and they'll be there. They're just too talented not to.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you want to hear what us "optimistic" folks want to say because your trying to box us in by talking only about today. UCONN has some very good bench players that have the ability to contribute when they get healthy and get adjusted to the speed of college BB. Today they are not all healthy and some are struggling to make the adjustment. Today does not matter nearly as much as tomorrow and April matters the most.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'd consider Walker to be beyond "close to competent" already. I'd move both her and Stevens up one category (if it's possible to list six as "starters").

And I think one or two of the other freshmen are going to play their way out the "clean up crew" soon, probably leapfrogging Bent and Irwin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Assuming Samuelson has a minor injury UCONN currently has 6 very competent players and a 7th (Walker) who is close to being competent.
yes, they are very competent. ESPN listed 5 of them in the top 14 players in the country, so I guess we can call them very competent. And that didn't include Crystal, who has shown she deserves to be there too.
Man, this is one tough crowd! :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
yes, they are very competent. ESPN listed 5 of them in the top 14 players in the country, so I guess we can call them very competent. And that didn't include Crystal, who has shown she deserves to be there too.
Man, this is one tough crowd! :)
Tough but clearly not clever enough to adequate flip or disguise the arguments from this summer where some were worried about not having enough minutes for all these talented UCONN players. "Today", UCONN suddenly doesn't have enough good players?
GaYCUs2f.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First off move Walker to competent sub. She’ll get her consistent 10 puts a game like Nykesha did her first year. Coombs and Espinoza will move ahead of Bent soon. It’s early yet and their playing quality teams early.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
So early in the season and we are getting some negative posts. Really!

How is it negative? I asked a question and your response I'm negative. As of today where is the depth? I read here and on ESPN about the UCONN depth. Currently I don't see it. Explain the depth. I thought we would have Lou, Phee, Z, Danger, Gabby, Kia, Meg, and Batouly. Eight is enough depth for me. But Batouly's injury lingers on. Hopefully, Lou will miss maybe two games. Perhaps it is the definition of depth. The way people throw the word around it sounds like they think there are 10 competent players currently on the team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As this season goes on 1 or 2 more freshies will step forward. Honestly if Lexi's conditioning wasn't such a factor she, I believe, would be 3rd off the bench instead of last. Give these young ladies a minute and they'll be there. They're just to talented not to.

See I agree with you! Given time there will be depth. But people talk of depth in the present tense.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you want to hear what us "optimistic" folks want to say because your trying to box us in by talking only about today. UCONN has some very good bench players that have the ability to contribute when they get healthy and get adjusted to the speed of college BB. Today they are not all healthy and some are struggling to make the adjustment. Today does not matter nearly as much as tomorrow and April matters the most.

I said today because people refer to depth in the present tense. By January there will be real depth. Maybe 9 competent players. By competent I mean Geno would play them in games against top 25 teams and close games. I'll settle for 8. Today assuming Lou will miss only 2 games there are 6 competent players maybe 7 since Geno might play Meg in a tight game. Which compared to last year is "deep."

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No BREAKS for you!!!!!!!! ;)

Tough but clearly not clever enough to adequate flip or disguise the arguments from this summer where some were worried about not having enough minutes for all these talented UCONN players. "Today", UCONN suddenly doesn't have enough good players?
GaYCUs2f.jpeg

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
First off move Walker to competent sub. She’ll get her consistent 10 puts a game like Nykesha did her first year. Coombs and Espinoza will move ahead of Bent soon. It’s early yet and their playing quality teams early.
Will, will, will, ... Now, no.

Reaction Score
I don't see what's negative about the OP's assessment, which I think is very accurate, as of right now. If KLS is out for a while, others will have to step up. I would agree with the OP's assessment of competent players by January. I sure hope there are 9, and if we're including Camara, I can believe one more will step up, though I cannot imagine which one it will be.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The BY surely seems to be tough on Molly Bent. While it would be nice to see her getting more points, she is doing a pretty good job with her floor game and taking care of the ball. Her play seems to be getting at least a tentative nod from Geno, who as we know does not parcel out minutes to be “nice.” If she can play for her UConn coaches, she can play any day on my team.

Molly is a very hard worker, and she is certainly a smart kid. She is growing and improving. Why not enjoy that?

Reaction Score
How is it negative? I asked a question and your response I'm negative. As of today where is the depth? I read here and on ESPN about the UCONN depth. Currently I don't see it. Explain the depth. I thought we would have Lou, Phee, Z, Danger, Gabby, Kia, Meg, and Batouly. Eight is enough depth for me. But Batouly's injury lingers on. Hopefully, Lou will miss maybe two games. Perhaps it is the definition of depth. The way people throw the word around it sounds like they think there are 10 competent players currently on the team.

I'll pass on the "negative" stuff, but I will suggest that depth is demonstrated by Lou's being sidelined and Z stepping in w/out the Huskies missing a beat. Depth is also having a point guard who can give CD a blow (Bent at the moment), and in Meg a solid sub for Pheesa and/or Gabby. I, too, believe Coombs is almost ready for prime time. Hey, isn't this a HUGE step up from last year when foul trouble or injury to one of the key 4 might have sabotaged the season?

Reaction Score
I said today because people refer to depth in the present tense. By January there will be real depth. Maybe 9 competent players. By competent I mean Geno would play them in games against top 25 teams and close games. I'll settle for 8. Today assuming Lou will miss only 2 games there are 6 competent players maybe 7 since Geno might play Meg in a tight game. Which compared to last year is "deep."
I think you've got yourself stuck on a word you put in the OP and now have to defend: competent. These aren't just "very competent." Two starters (not counting Lou) are 1st team AA's, and then there are Kia, Z, and Crystal: all of these are supremely talented athletes, and, as a group, significantly better than any other group in WCBB. You can't expect players of similarly developed skills to be ## 8, 9, 10 etc on any team. They just don't get the same amount of time in practice or in games playing with the first team and getting the appropriate highest-quality repetitions. If they are needed, they will get those reps and they will improve enough to play effectively, if not brilliantly. The 2000 UConn team might well have been the greatest of all time in WCBB. Yet 2 late season injuries exposed them, and they fell a little short. That's how it is. Sports is all about relative and temporary advantage, and relatively speaking UConn is very deep, though temporarily not as much as before or in the future.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think you've got yourself stuck on a word you put in the OP and now have to defend: competent. No, I do not have to defend it. Only in your mind does it need defended. It is a very complimentary word. By the way for the starters the phrase I used was "very competent." I'm sure Geno would agree. These aren't just "very competent." Two starters (not counting Lou) are 1st team AA's, and then there are Kia, Z, and Crystal: all of these are supremely talented athletes, and, as a group, significantly better than any other group in WCBB. You are a "UCONN fanatic" and am an objective fan. If they were the end all be all then Geno would not be expecting them to improve over last year's performance. The players expect to improve. They are not finished products. Besides AA is an opinion not an absolute. You can't expect players of similarly developed skills to be ## 8, 9, 10 etc on any team. Bingo! Thus the word competent! You believe Geno thinks like you? As an manager I expected a great deal from my employees. When they were on stage in front of the entire company being recognize and rewarded, they had the same feeling as though they won the NCAA. Stop under estimating people's abilities. They just don't get the same amount of time in practice or in games playing with the first team and getting the appropriate highest-quality repetitions. Sob! Sob! This is hy the best stay after practice to continue review and practice the day's lessons. This why they ask for personal help from the coaches. If they are needed, they will get those reps and they will improve enough to play effectively, if not brilliantly. The 2000 UConn team might well have been the greatest of all time in WCBB. Yet 2 late season injuries exposed them, and they fell a little short. That's how it is. Sports is all about relative and temporary advantage, and relatively speaking UConn is very deep No, they are not. Relative to what? , though temporarily not as much as before or in the future Finally you admit they are not deep right now.

I hope they will be deep in January. I believe they will be because they have Geno CD, Shea, and Marisa coaching them. Unfortunately not all will become competent. There should be 8-9 "competent" players by March by Geno definition of competent which is: "I trust them enough to play them is final four games."

Reaction Score
You are a "UCONN fanatic" and am an objective fan
Your opinion. My opinion is that I think of basketball as a sport, and you think of basketball as a teacher thinks of levels of measurable proficiency in a subject. Sports is all about change, relative advantage, making the other guy do his second best, etc. It's not an absolute standard except in the things that can be counted absolutely (like foul shooting percentage). Even shooting percentage is a relative number. Sports is about change and relative value. UConn has a relatively strong bench even right now. Live with it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hope they will be deep in January. I believe they will be because they have Geno CD, Shea, and Marisa coaching them. Unfortunately not all will become competent. There should be 8-9 "competent" players by March by Geno definition of competent which is: "I trust them enough to play them is final four games."

Is there a link where Geno uses "competent"? I am more familiar with words like "really really good" or "can't defend a chair"

Reaction Score
\

As always, a thought through analysis. How can you be optimistic when we are Doomed, Doomed.
Last year I was in the business of being a Molly cheerleader and was disappointed. So far this year I have been a Molly naysayer--and a bit happily surprised. No she won't completely replace Danger or even Walker (maybe) but she will give Geno good minutes as a sub, if need be. Irwin, in my opinion is a post sub, who is not afraid to shoot or mix it up. \Your final sentence speaks the truth.

Reaction Score
It negative because your premise is that UCONN lack depth when you know darn well we have two players hurt. KLS get hurt and you take the low road as if programed in your GPS. Be better.
\
The price of being POSITIVE is equal to the price of being NEGATIVE--the difference is: you feel better with the former and a bit depressed with the latter and happiness is about seeing the positive. Christine and Geno won't take the low road on injuries --why should we??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom