OT: how does Manuel have a job still? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: how does Manuel have a job still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OP,
STFU, go kick your dog, and take your next dose before it's lights out in the ward.

Reaction Score
I'm sure he'll jump in with his random two-sentence tangents. You know, Tulane won the men's tennis championship in 1959, that's a real positive for us!

That would actually be a pretty big deal if the world were a Wes Anderson movie.

Reaction Score
The Prez and Warde hit the fix everything lotto with the Big East payment. UCONN will now have enough money to build the countries best basketball practice and training facility. They actually should have enough to complete all of the proposed sports facilities upgrades. By the time this is done in a couple of years UCONN will be primed for a move to a major conference.

Reaction Score
I think it's a Junior Achievement project with him. He's learning on the job. He's a bad hire and did the University no favors in the recent alignment mess.

I just don't want him here if say UVA moves to the B1G and someone Cincy gets the call. He seems ill prepared.

If you support the hire and him as an AD, I question your decision making ability and ability to evaluate a difficult situation.
I half ignored your statements when you blamed Warde for the Cuse/Pitt move, which he was not around for. I now am on full ignore for the Cincy getting the B10 call with UVA.

Reaction Score
The Prez and Warde hit the fix everything lotto with the Big East payment. UCONN will now have enough money to build the countries best basketball practice and training facility. They actually should have enough to complete all of the proposed sports facilities upgrades. By the time this is done in a couple of years UCONN will be primed for a move to a major conference.

The total price tag is somewhere north of $125M. But it is a good start.

Reaction Score
They don't need 125 million. They need 25% for the State to finance the balance. they have raised over 25 million and the Big East Payout should get them to finally start

Reaction Score
I think it's a Junior Achievement project with him. He's learning on the job. He's a bad hire and did the University no favors in the recent alignment mess.

I just don't want him here if say UVA moves to the B1G and someone Cincy gets the call. He seems ill prepared.

If you support the hire and him as an AD, I question your decision making ability and ability to evaluate a difficult situation.

I'm still not sure what you want him to do with a realignment situation that started before he got here and was in full swing before he got his business cards printed.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm still not sure what you want him to do with a realignment situation that started before he got here and was in full swing before he got his business cards printed.

Oh, it's not clear to you yet? He wants Warde to be more vocal about us to people like Delany and Swofford, because you know, those two guys make acquisitions for their leagues based on how vocal people are.

Delany: "I was thinking about making a decision worth tens of millions of dollars one way, but now that Warde called me....well gosh darn it!....I just like that Warde guy! UConn it is!!!" :confused:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lol. He clearly wants WM to keep him in the loop on everything. By not knowing all the facts, he makes the assumption that WM is a failure. Pretty amusing really.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm sure he'll jump in with his random two-sentence tangents. You know, Tulane won the men's tennis championship in 1959, that's a real positive for us!

Did you know that Tulane turned down the SEC to join UConn in a conference?

Reaction Score
Delany: "I was thinking about making a decision worth tens of millions of dollars one way, but now that Warde called me....well gosh darn it!....I just like that Warde guy! UConn it is!!!" :confused:

You laugh, but personal relationships and interaction can play a significant role in business deals. Not saying they did or would have here. Were I Ward Manuel I would be on a regular circuit "lobying" decision makers and one of the stops would be Tallahasee.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You laugh, but personal relationships and interaction can play a significant role in business deals. Not saying they did or would have here. Were I Ward Manuel I would be on a regular circuit "lobying" decision makers and one of the stops would be Tallahasee.

You're right. I do laugh. I laugh when someone thinks that a personal relationship can win over a decision worth 50 million or more...

Reaction Score
You're right. I do laugh. I laugh when someone thinks that a personal relationship can win over a decision worth 50 million or more...

They are very often the tipping point in my experience..........

Reaction Score

When Syracuse and Pitt jumped, and Warde/Herbst were all over the place saying they wanted to be in the ACC, the fanbase chastised them for being too vocal and desperate and it didn't work. When Maryland left the ACC and it was Louisville or UConn, the fanbase chastised them for staying too quiet.

The truth is, some things are beyond your control. WM isn't going to convince FSU and GT that UConn is a better football school than Louisville.

Reaction Score
Is this seriously coming up, AGAIN?! Give the guy a break. For me personally, I think he's done a fine job so far given the circumstances. Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and relax.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

In your experience of performing 50 million dollar deals? Really?

In my limited experience of helping to perform 10-20 million dollar deals, it was the due diligence and science that always won the day, and not the cupcakes and coffee. Maybe I'll chalk up your different observations to differences in fields (as I have a half-smile on my face)...:rolleyes:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

By the way, sorry for the amount of "snark" in my last post. And my experience should be labeled as "very very limited" (a.k.a., n=2). But what I'm trying to get across in all this is that everyone is nice. Everyone is selling their product (whether it's behind the scenes or in the media). And the buyers are very much aware of the available products. So there is no way in hell in my opinion that Warde Manual is the difference between NBE and a new promised land...

Reaction Score
............So there is no way in hell in my opinion that Warde Manual is the difference between NBE and a new promised land...

Never said he was.

You are seeing this as black and white. It's not. All I'm saying is that personal relationships and rapport matter, especially when things are close or politics becomes involved. Ward will need to be a good embassador to put us in the best position to get out of this mess. I have no idea if he is or not. I never met the man. But, it is a skill I sincerely hope he possesses.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Syracuse and Pitt jumped, and Warde/Herbst were all over the place saying they wanted to be in the ACC, the fanbase chastised them for being too vocal and desperate and it didn't work. When Maryland left the ACC and it was Louisville or UConn, the fanbase chastised them for staying too quiet.

The truth is, some things are beyond your control. WM isn't going to convince FSU and GT that UConn is a better football school than Louisville.
I wasn't. But the truth is they weren't all over the place. They were fine. It was when tone deaf Malloy decided to jump on board that when sounded desparate. JMO

Reaction Score
They don't need 125 million. They need 25% for the State to finance the balance. they have raised over 25 million and the Big East Payout should get them to finally start

They needed more than that for the hoop facility. It depends on what the state wants to do. That wasn't what I was told but you may be right. That also assumes they dump all of that into facilities.

Reaction Score
WM isn't going to convince FSU and GT that UConn is a better football school than Louisville.

will get back to OP in a second, but this is why overall Connecticut CR strategy has to change -- has to be also be fought at pay grades above Warde and even Susan. Playing nice is never going to convince atavistic southern/midwest boards of trustees, athletic directors, presidents & conf. comishes of anything. This is why new fronts have to opened up above the stubborn parties in other states.

Back to Warde. Has rebounded since the ill-conceived NPR interview (probably had to go with the boss). I'd say he's gone from a C-minus to a B-plus. The Boise/BYU '14 football scheduling a big step forward as is finally breaking ground on basketball facility.

The TJ Weist hire is a net plus, but with reservations. I get the feeling that if it was strictly up to Warde he'd have canned PP but suspect Herbst/BOT lack of appetite to pay buyout & McHugh-PP ties got in the way. I just wish he'd have been a little more transparent and taken ownership of the TJ hiring the way Oliver Luck did with Holgorsen at WVU . I hope we're not treated to the same soap opera that came with Bill Stewart's ugly departure.

Football-scheduling wise would like to see a BCS away in 2014 and another 2 to join Tenn in 15.

Warde's big challenge now is men hoop scheduling (figure Geno can handle his side) Gotta lessen the RPI hit and figure out a way to fill home seats, especially in November and December.

People are going nuts over the logo change but now that he's had a full year to "monitor" stale and sometimes annoying football and hoop "game production" make some reasonable changes. For example time to bag "Let's get ready to rumble" & "are you ready for this" in hoops, etc.

And back to tickets - a big deal was made about charging higher prices for 'marquee' games (like Michigan in football). That's fine, but for the time being (hopefully) there's going to be a lot less marquee games. If TV is paying a lot less money for rights to UConn games, why are fans paying the same? Would bet anything UConn ticket prices will still rival that of highest found in Big 10, SEC, ACC. Personally willing to pay it for a couple of years as long as I can see a light at the end of the tunnel (not a train). But overall, still get feeling fans are being taken for granted a la the Hathaway era. Would be nice if season ticket renewers saw some kind of gesture of gratitude from Storrs -- and that's where Warde can make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom