how does a "body bag" game work? | The Boneyard

how does a "body bag" game work?

Reaction Score
the ohio state cancellation thread got me thinking -
Does anyone know how "body-bag" games work?

• if we indeed improve skillwise as an independent and start beating the lower-tier P4 teams as everyone dreams of (duke/maryland/indiana,etc.), will we even be able to schedule a michigan/OSU-level opponent?
  • even if we could schedule a michigan/OSU/tennessee, would they be willing to pay us $2M if we're a threat? I assume that the cash goes up the worse our team is, and vice versa (uconn good, cash offer down) --- Why pay someone who is good and is a threat to your season/CFP hopes?
  • if we get as good we hope to be, will we start getting P4 contract cancellations? I suspect those teams would rather buy out the contract and ensure they don't lose to us, and then give the difference to a low-level G5 or FCS school, just like OSU just did.

Reaction Score
You provide the body, they provide the bag.

All contracts of this nature, even amongst equals, should contain a financial poison penalty but the premise is simple "you come here to take a strongly likely loss and we pay you for wasting your time". Simple as. The better uconn is as a program the less value there is for the opposition to take the game because they're mostly looking to get an ensured win to pad the totals. 10 wins looks better than 9

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You provide the body, they provide the bag.

All contracts of this nature, even amongst equals, should contain a financial poison penalty but the premise is simple "you come here to take a strongly likely loss and we pay you for wasting your time". Simple as. The better uconn is as a program the less value there is for the opposition to take the game because they're mostly looking to get an ensured win to pad the totals. 10 wins looks better than 9
I believe that we will end up making $600k for basically putting a pen to paper.

I imagine if one of the lesser programs required an excessive buyout if the game were to be cancelled, then the better program would look for someone else to take their money to show up and get destroyed.

Reaction Score
I believe that we will end up making $600k for basically putting a pen to paper.

I imagine if one of the lesser programs required an excessive buyout if the game were to be cancelled, then the better program would look for someone else to take their money to show up and get destroyed.
everything is a balance

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
They’re nice when you’re a fan and your school is rising from 1AA. Like the game at the Orange Bowl v. Miami back in the day. A nice trip to the historic venue for fans to watch our a… handed to us. I’d think we would be on the other end of this in 2024, but alas….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom