-79.4 pts / game (39th in NCAA)
-39.5 reb / game (49th in NCAA)
-17.9 asts / game (8th in NCAA)
-64.3 pts allowed / game (24th in NCAA)

Ken Pom overview of SMU:
rank - 19
AdjO - 6
AdjD - 90

Overall, they are GREAT offensively, very good on the glass, and pretty good defensively, although Ken Pom's AdjD suggests that their defense isn't as great as their numbers make them seem.

Nic Moore is obviously their team's engine and largely responsible for their offensive efficiency. A do-it-all PG who's game compares similarly to Shabazz, he leads the team in points (16.7), assists (5.2), steals (1.3), minutes (33.9). He's also shooting really well from 3 at a high volume, 42%.

Shake Milton(43%) and Sterling Brown(52%) are both shooting exceptionally well from deep. As a whole, their team shooting 42.3% from 3, which is 2nd best in the country, behind only Oklahoma.

SMUs frontline isn't the tallest, but they are stout: Jordan Tolbert (6'7", 240), Markus Kennedy (6'9", 245), and Ben Moore (6'8", 205) are all space eaters down low. The 3 of them combine to average 34 pts and 22 reb per game on 54.7 % shooting.

So, SMU has a very good inside-out game, and a very good PG leading them and running their offense.

Defensively, UConn will have to do a better job of closing down their 3-pt shooters than we have been of late. I don't think Gibbs can stay in front of Nic Moore, so I'd rather have Adams play on him. Our bigs will have to rebound well against their bigs down low and it will be especially important for Miller and Brimah to stay out of foul trouble.

Alternatively, SMU only really goes 8 deep. If we can do a good job of getting THEIR bigs in foul trouble, I think that could be the difference in the game.

Reaction Score
Nic Moore hasnt seen a game where he's guarded by a rotation of Purvis and Adams. They have the quickness to stay with him while also having 5 or 6 inches on him. (Sounds a lot like the Harrison twins on Boat/Bazz hopefully we have better results than they did).

We need AB to avoid moronic "2 hands on the back" and "swinging elbows" type fouls and play more than 9 minutes.

Need Facey and Enoch to be ready.

Need Phil to play smart

Need Miller to see if he can pick up some cheapies on their bigs.

Need to avoid empty possessions

Reaction Score
"Nic Moore hasnt seen a game where he's guarded by a rotation of Purvis and Adams. They have the quickness to stay with him while also having 5 or 6 inches on him. (Sounds a lot like the Harrison twins on Boat/Bazz hopefully we have better results than they did)".

I love this idea @BoatShow. Ironic, because Larry Brown has done this the last two years to us. He always put a bigger guard on Shabazz, and then Boat last year. Really good strategy. I think Purvis can really give him fits.

We need to attack Nic Moore on defense as well. The guy plays close to 40 minutes a game with their lack of depth (7 total players not 8) and Tulsa beat them last week when he got into foul trouble. Any type of foul trouble for SMU can change the whole complexion of this game. Just like foul trouble on Miller/Brimah for us.

Reaction Score
Nic Moore has had a lot of Bazz type late game scoring this year... He can take a game over late and with our late game track record that scares me..

Reaction Score
They do have a very short bench and that obviously works in our favor. I think we'll be up in the game late, but as has been the case all year can we seal the deal and finish them off?

Reaction Score
"Nic Moore hasnt seen a game where he's guarded by a rotation of Purvis and Adams. They have the quickness to stay with him while also having 5 or 6 inches on him. (Sounds a lot like the Harrison twins on Boat/Bazz hopefully we have better results than they did)".

I love this idea @BoatShow. Ironic, because Larry Brown has done this the last two years to us. He always put a bigger guard on Shabazz, and then Boat last year. Really good strategy. I think Purvis can really give him fits.

We need to attack Nic Moore on defense as well. The guy plays close to 40 minutes a game with their lack of depth (7 total players not 8) and Tulsa beat them last week when he got into foul trouble. Any type of foul trouble for SMU can change the whole complexion of this game. Just like foul trouble on Miller/Brimah for us.
refs do us no favors. ever!

Reaction Score
SMU is better than they were last year but then again, so are we. If we play the way we did this past week, we'll get beat pretty good. If we play the way we are capable of playing, it will be a great game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
havent watched a lot of their games but the ones I have they make a ton of threes and are aggressive and in your face on defense... we need to have composure and be smart on defense and with the ball

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
How many minutes/game do they play?

If more than 35 then thats that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The problem isn't stopping Moore. Its scoring against their defense. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but their defensive rating is underrated. When its crunch time, Larry Brown gets this team to play stifling defense. Have to watch them consistently to see that.

Reaction Score
havent watched a lot of their games but the ones I have they make a ton of threes and are aggressive and in your face on defense... we need to have composure and be smart on defense and with the ball
SMU is actually 335th in the country in 3 pointers attempted. But 3rd in percentage.

Reaction Score

Purvis absolutely destroyed Nic Moore last year, both on offense and defense. I haven't looked up the stats but two of Rodney's best games were against SMU when Moore was guarding him. I forget who they put on Boat, but Moore was guarding Purvis.

Reaction Score
I'm including this week's game as a loss
husky.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members