How do transfers affect recruiting? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do transfers affect recruiting?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Umm, great that you mentioned classes of 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004. It is now 2018 and those classes are eons ago. Here is the recap I did of the last 5 recruiting classes across the landscape and as you sort of noted, things ARE different these days and it is true. The only exception is Stanford. You can disagree though your basis seem a bit dated.

View attachment 37214
Not actually "disagreeing", it's stating the truth. Also looks like Duke and Oregon St don't support your idea that ALL large classes have transfers.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not actually "disagreeing", it's stating the truth. Also looks like Duke and Oregon St don't support your idea that ALL large classes have transfers.
Meyers7-I like your views on most items and you did note correctly that OSU and Duke have had lower attrition rates than the others.
Yes, OSU has 2016 class with 4 and none have transferred...yet. I think with Slocum added there will be some movement. We do have some NW WCBB fans like @nwhoopfan and @NWHoopFan2 who can probably opine.

On Duke, JPM had 5 person class in 2015 and 2 left and she had 2014 Azura Stevens/Sierra Calhoun transfer (2014 wasn't in scope but 2 of 4 left) so her data isn't as pristine as it looked under this small sample.

My point is supported by the data, large classes 3 or more (as well as many top programs who recruit top players) have seen a jump in transfers.

In my samples alone, 2015 (Senior class) had 4 programs with 4 recruits or more with 3 programs having transfers (9/19=47%)
2016 (Junior class) had 6 programs with 4 recruits or more and 4 programs had transfers (9/30=30%)
2017 (Sophomore class) had 6 programs with 4 recruits or more and 4 programs had transfers (6/24=25%)

16 class programs had 4 or more and 11 had transfers. 5 have not (24 transfers/73 recruits=32.8%)
10 programs had 3 recruits in a year and 8 had transfers. (30 total/9 transferred=30%).

The total of my sample 36 recruiting classes (12 programs, 3 years '15-17) has 26 samples of 3 recruits or more and 19 had transfers, that's 73% program transfer rate (19/26).

That, to me that says we are in a new paradigm as the better kids want to play and they will find a place to play with only Stanford and maybe OSU standing out to me as they have stayed relevant in the top 10 rankings and/or NCAA performance.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, transfers have become a fact of life in WBB. As such there is little negative impact. If a transfer creates space on a team’s roster and potentially removes a disgruntled player, transfers can actually have a positive impact.

As far as the suggestion that Geno stops coaching players after the first 6-7 is simply nonsense.

Strongly agree!. I can think of other reasons for wanting a player to transfer that is positive for Uconn. A few have done so and relieved the angst and time of Geno.

Reaction Score

Geno has had Large classes with high talented players with no transfers. However, keeping them happy with PT was an excessive chore/

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My point is supported by the data, large classes 3 or more (as well as many top programs who recruit top players) have seen a jump in transfers.
But that wasn't your point. At least that's not what you said. If you're changing it now (i.e. moving the goalposts) then fine, that's another conversation. And one you can back up with data. You just can't back up your original point with data.

Reaction Score
What affect does player transfers have on UCONN recruiting? I think 6 players have transferred out of UCONN in the last 5 years. Keeping a tight 6-7 player rotation minimizing bench minutes? If you are not in the 6-7 player rotation Geno does not bother with developing your game? His insults stop because caring stops. Not trying to start a argument. Just wondering what other people think?
Obviously not here for an argument, but I do take issue with this notion in particular. Every practice is an opportunity for every player on the team regardless of their role to elevate, develop, and refine their game. Geno holds an abundance of experience and a wealth of knowledge, but unless players themselves want to develop their games, his hands are rather tied, no? I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but I feel that it's naive to think it's as simple as Geno "not bothering" with developing a player's game if that player sits outside of the rotation. A player has to want it and strive for it, as well as make the necessary changes and adjustments to achieve it. And sometimes, of course, the program just isn't the right fit for a player and why force something that shouldn't be forced? That's not helpful for anyone involved.

I do apologize in advance if I've misinterpreted, but the bolded part just... doesn't sit well with me.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I do apologize in advance if I've misinterpreted, but the bolded part just... doesn't sit well with me.

Well Geno has said his focus is on the players who deliver in practice. He has also lets players know his interest in them has waned or simply stopped by ceasing to get on them. He tends to use Philly insults to motivate players. (Pick a player's name) you are the worst to ever to play your position! If he has lost interest then he will not bother with their development. Perhaps the other coaches still try to help them. In many cases it is just a recruiting mistake. He selected a player who did not possess the talent and drive to be part of the rotation.

In any case what I was wondering about is when potential prospects see recruited players failing and transferring do they think that selecting UCONN has too much downside? It is way too hard to succeed at UCONN and therefore they may be wasting 1 or 2 years of eligibility. They are stars at their high school and wish to be the same in college on a team where there is greater upside for personal success. Maybe Geno is right there are fewer of his type of player. Boston went to So. Car, where A'ja Wilson prospered and won a NCAA championship and is enjoyed a great first year in the WNBA without having to endure Geno's pressure cooker environment. I am trying to understand why these kids are passing on UCONN.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Leaves more scholarships available.

Ok Poor wording on my part! Do the Bostons type players believe there is too much downside to selecting UCONN? Do they fear they can't or don't want to risk losing 1 or 2 years of eligibility because of Geno's pressure cooker environment? Boston see Wilson start immediately at So. Car. She wins a NCAA championship and has immediate success in the WNBA without enduring the Geno pressure cooker. Do the think they don't need to endure his Philly insult motivation and still succeed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom