How do the teams compare? | The Boneyard

How do the teams compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone might refresh my memory regarding how Baylor and UCONN compare this year (player-for-player at all positions plus bench)?

Did we win last year because we were the home team? Because we got lucky?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Perhaps someone might refresh my memory regarding how Baylor and UCONN compare this year (player-for-player at all positions plus bench)?

Well, I'll be writing up a game analysis before Sunday. If you need something sooner, hopefully someone else has the time.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Luck is never involved in a UCONN victory. It is talent, hard work and discipline.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Well, I'll be writing up a game analysis before Sunday. If you need something sooner, hopefully someone else has the time.
DD--

Thanks for the analysis in advance! No, I'll wait for yours and its thread!:)

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score

Both of the above

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I knew you would, DD, and I always look forward to them. You do a great job.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I knew you would, DD, and I always look forward to them. You do a great job.
This one is going to be very difficult. Already started working on it.

Reaction Score

There may have even been an issue with the officiating late in the game;). Of course, no one here complained.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There may have even been an issue with the officiating late in the game;). Of course, no one here complained.
The complaint had little merit. BE officials explained why it was the right call.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Luck is never involved in a UCONN victory. It is talent, hard work and discipline.
Not true, and Geno will be the first to say that UConn has its share of both good and bad luck. Good luck would include things like no injuries, good refs (sorry TJI), the ball bouncing the right way off the rim at the right time, etc.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What about the officiating?
Moore missed with an airball from the corner with six seconds left as the shot clock went off and Melissa Jones grabbed the rebound. Instead of giving the Lady Bears the ball on the side for a shot-clock violation, the officials let the game continue.

Having just used its last timeout, Baylor had no choice but to get to the basket. Odyssey Sims brought the ball up the court but her 30-foot attempt was nowhere close.

After the game Mulkey wondered about that final sequence.

"Was that a shot-clock violation?" she asked the media. "Did anyone watch that?"

The Big East quickly answered her question.

"If the other team has the ball as the horn is going off that's a possession so there's no shot-clock violation," said Big East assistant commissioner Barb Jacobs, who is in charge of officiating.

Mulkey downplayed the result.

"Do you see us crying? Could we have won the game," Mulkey said. "I learned I have a talented basketball team."
http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=303200041

Reaction Score
What about the officiating?

Late in the game there was a shot clock violation that was not called that may have given Baylor the ball with more time and with time to set up a a better play and shot than the 40 foot heave Sims got off.

I just looked at the replay, and the shot clock buzzer went off when the ball was in the air. It was a violation as soon as the ball came off without hitting the rim. The call was not made. I have seen it go both ways. Baylor rebounded the ball, so maybe that was why the call was not made.

Reaction Score
Imagine that, A Boneyarder defending the officiating. UConn must have won.

Reaction Score
Late in the game there was a shot clock violation that was not called that may have given Baylor the ball with more time and with time to set up a a better play and shot than the 40 foot heave Sims got off.

I just looked at the replay, and the shot clock buzzer went off when the ball was in the air. It was a violation as soon as the ball came off without hitting the rim. The call was not made. I have seen it go both ways. Baylor rebounded the ball, so maybe that was why the call was not made.

Thanks, doggy just explained why it wasn't a shot clock violation since Baylor rebounded the ball; so it wasn't a missed call by the officials.

Reaction Score
Moore missed with an airball from the corner with six seconds left as the shot clock went off and Melissa Jones grabbed the rebound. Instead of giving the Lady Bears the ball on the side for a shot-clock violation, the officials let the game continue.

Having just used its last timeout, Baylor had no choice but to get to the basket. Odyssey Sims brought the ball up the court but her 30-foot attempt was nowhere close.

"Was that a shot-clock violation?" she asked the media. "Did anyone watch that?"

"If the other team has the ball as the horn is going off that's a possession so there's no shot-clock violation," said Big East assistant commissioner Barb Jacobs, who is in charge of officiating.

"Do you see us crying? Could we have won the game," Mulkey said. "I learned I have a talented basketball team."
http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=303200041

http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=303200041[/quote]

Thanks doggy!

Reaction Score
I just watched replays of SportsCenter, First and Ten, and Around the Horn. Everyone who addressed the subject (Kara Lawson, Jay Bilas, Digger Phelps, Hubert Davis, Karl Ravitch, Skip Bayless, Bomani Jones, and JA Adonde) unanimoulsy agreed that it was a shot clock violation. An esteemed consortium of sports and basketball minds to be sure, but...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I just watched replays of SportsCenter, First and Ten, and Around the Horn. Everyone who addressed the subject (Kara Lawson, Jay Bilas, Digger Phelps, Hubert Davis, Reece Davis, Skip Bayless, Bomani Jones, and JA Adonde) unanimoulsy agree that it was a shot clock violation. An esteemed consortium of sports and basketball minds to be sure, but...
Skip Bayless? Idiot
Hubert Davis? Got every game wrong in the NCAA last year.

What exactly is your point? It wasn't called. It didn't matter. Who cares?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Just shows why those folks should officiate. They obviously have studied rule book and understand how the game should be reffed.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Kim also probably learned to use her timeouts better. She had two left, called one to set up an inbound play, then called an immediate one, her last, after seeing what defense UConn was in. That was in the last minute or two minutes, I think. Had the team had that second timeout, they could have called it and set up something in the last few seconds.

Bad calls and no calls are part of the game. I bet Baylor worked a lot on last second scenarios after that...what to do after a make, what to do after a miss, no time outs, etc.

Reaction Score
Skip Bayless? Idiot
Hubert Davis? Got every game wrong in the NCAA last year.

What exactly is your point? It wasn't called. It didn't matter. Who cares?

My point? That it just may have been a shot clock violation that was not called. It might have mattered, but we will never know, the game is long over. Who cares? The Worldwide leader in sports spent an entire day on at least four different programs discussing the incident. One would imagine that it was discussed in other sports venues as well. And it is fodder for a little reminiscing/banter as we approach the big game.

I suppose it will now be incumbent upon me to never quote Skip Bayless and Hubert Davis on this board ever again.

Reaction Score
Kim also probably learned to use her timeouts better. She had two left, called one to set up an inbound play, then called an immediate one, her last, after seeing what defense UConn was in. That was in the last minute or two minutes, I think. Had the team had that second timeout, they could have called it and set up something in the last few seconds.

Bad calls and no calls are part of the game. I bet Baylor worked a lot on last second scenarios after that...what to do after a make, what to do after a miss, no time outs, etc.

Hard to disagree about Ms Mulkey's use of the last timeout. Baylor used their second to last timeout after Hayden scored underneath, the score now 63-62. Maya Moore scored form the elbow making it 65-62. Melissa Jones then scored on a drive to the basket making it 65-64, next to last timeout Baylor. UConn, then called a timeout with 8.1 seconds left in the game and 2 seconds on the shot clock after Griner blocked Hartley's shot out of bounds. Coach Mulkey, then, called her last timeout before play resumed to set up the defense; A defense that resulted in a Maya Moore airball. The fact that the defense set up in the timeout resulted in a Maya Moore airball would be my only argument for using that last timeout. I, personally, am from the take it down the court before the defense can set up school of final second armchair coaching, so not having that last timeout would not have concerned me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My point? That it just may have been a shot clock violation that was not called. It might have mattered, but we will never know, the game is long over. Who cares? The Worldwide leader in sports spent an entire day on at least four different programs discussing the incident. One would imagine that it was discussed in other sports venues as well. And it is fodder for a little reminiscing/banter as we approach the big game.

I suppose it will now be incumbent upon me to never quote Skip Bayless and Hubert Davis on this board ever again.

ESPN spent all day on it? Well, it was a big game, and there was controvery as based on what i was, it could have been called either way. In real time, I don't see how anyone could question the call. But all day? Nahh....a minute maybe on each show.

Reaction Score
ESPN spent all day on it? Well, it was a big game, and there was controvery as based on what i was, it could have been called either way. In real time, I don't see how anyone could question the call. But all day? Nahh....a minute maybe on each show.

Come on now, let's not nit pick to that extent. SportsCenter is repeated throughout the day,
First and Ten is a two hour show that is repeated in the afternoon, and Around The Horn comes on in the afternoon and repeated on ESPN2.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Come on now, let's not nit pick to that extent. SportsCenter is repeated throughout the day,
First and Ten is a two hour show that is repeated in the afternoon, and Around The Horn comes on in the afternoon and repeated on ESPN2.
Yeah, I get it. You're stretching it. Did you really waste time finding those replays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom