How did you become a huskie fan? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

How did you become a huskie fan?

Reaction Score
I have been a UConn Sports fan forever. I started watching and listening to Football and Mens Basketball since the late 60s. I remember watching Bob Staak and Doug Melody and I watched games played at the Curry Hicks Cage in Amherst. Most of those games were watched on a little black and white 13 inch TV. I really became a fan when John Thomas, Jimmy Foster and Al Weston played in the 70s.

I also remember reading about the baseball team in the College World Series in the 70s. This continued when I made it to UConn as a student in 1976. Many in our dorm attended soccer games.

I didn't start following the Women's Basketball team until around 1990 when the team included Kerry Bascom, Laura Lishness, Debbie Baer, Wendy Davis and Megan Pattyson. 1995 was a very special time to watch. Even my aunt and uncle, who were not big college fans, were really into the Women's team that year and loved Jamelle.

Reaction Score
I was looking for a game to watch and happened to view the MLK game between UConn and Tennessee. Absolutely loved the game, how it was executed, and the real joy after. Have been a UConn fan since and a women's basketball game fan. I lost interest in the men's game around the time the rent a player (one-and-done) began and haven't looked back.

Reaction Score
I became a fan of women’s basketball back in the 70’s when coaching a high school boys basketball team. We never had to share our gym until Title IX finally caught up to the school district and a girls team was founded. One of their first coaches was none other than Tara VanDerveer whose parents were school administrators and her younger sister played on the team. One of my students and the sister of one of my players was also on the team and I would occasionally watch Tara desperately try to instill a sense of passion and discipline into her players which was beyond an arduous task for most of the girls. This said, Tara opened my eyes to a number of details from teaching basic skills to a sound pedagogy for implementing offenses and defenses. Sadly, Tara’s time with us was short. I did, however, learn that going to Nike Clinics featuring legendary coaches such as Rollie Massamino and Joe B. Hall weren’t going to help me become a better high school boys coach and that I should check out the clinics being presented by the small handful of women’s coaches as our respective player heights and skills were far more comparable. I left high school basketball after 16 seasons; the last 6 of which were in Connecticut and eventually found myself coaching high school track and field where developmental meets were held at UCONN which gave me opportunities to watch practices and even parts of some game at the old Greer Fieldhouse. I liked what I saw and followed the women as they moved into Gampel. Both the Women’s and Men’s teams were on an upward trajectory with coaches who shared the same passion and discipline that I saw in Tara but, this time, with players who bought into what their coaches were selling. The synergy was electric and contagious and I was sold. I will admit that although I cheer hard for both teams, I much prefer watching the women as I can appreciate real plays that are run below the rim and require the execution by all team members rather than a one-on-one game too often found in the men’s game. I apologize for my novella but my appreciation of the women’s game and my love of UCONN basketball had its roots planted outside of Connecticut and spans decades…Go Huskies!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When I was a kid in the 60's, the first Christmas present with a plug I ever received was a clock/radio. AM-only of course. And the first thing that came out of it a few days later when we got home from grandma's was UConn basketball. Been listening ever since. The men had their "Dream Season" in 1990. But they surprised the next year as well, making the Sweet 16 as a 12 seed. That follow-up season helped keep Huskiemania alive and after they lost, folks weren't ready to call it a year. But wait, the women's team made the Final Four! I, along with many others jumped on the bandwagon right there. And they proceeded to get absolutely jobbed by the refs that game but it wasn't enough to stop the juggernaut that was to come.

Reaction Score
In the 94-95 season when Lobo and Geno won the first championship.. been a fan of UConn women’s basketball ever since.. the women’s game for the most part still resembles basketball.. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
On the day we finally beat y'all in 2020, I became a secondary UConn fan. I no longer hoped for somebody else to beat y'all so we could slip in the backdoor like our previous championship. I began pulling for y'all to be at the top for our annual matchups so that the effect of a loss to our team would be minimal in the NET and the effect of a win would be maximized. Playing for the championship increased my feelings.

May the annual "rivalry" (If I may call it that) game be played forever between my now two favorite teams.

Reaction Score
I was born and raised in Bridgeport. I was tired of seeing great talent leave the state on the men’s side. John Garris, Wes Matthews, John Bagley, plus may others. I became a fan of the Women when Geno was hired. Having 3 daughters, 2 of which played high school basketball also helped.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom