how did temple get kicked out way back then? | The Boneyard

how did temple get kicked out way back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
was it the league voted them out becuase of poor performance?

the balance of the league has changed. how come the 13 fball schools dont go after prov, dep and shu and kick them out. what have those schools done in the past so many years of your choice?

13 fball schools vs nova/gtown/sju/marq. tell those 4 schools its either votes with us and u 4 come along for the ride and get the big boy $$ still in this confrence or we will split. those 4 schools know they will go with the big boys and if it ever gets to the day when the conf fails they can always go back to the new a10 where the others would be.

now take that and go 16 fball and 20 bball. all sports.

uconn/ruty/tem/cincy/lville/navy/usf/ucf
mem/uh/smu/bsu/sdsu/byu/unr/

in all small sports(not fball or bball) play just your division. this keeps travel down and rivals together also fwiw. in fball play your division plus a cross rival(-navy).

in bball a round robin of 19 games plus a h/h with that cross rival( -navy or gt-nova)

wouldnt that be going after the max tv deal, boosting hoops to the best possible and also saving face as a all together conf with all sports all time zones and on and on?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Temple went winless in league play six times. Overall, they had a 14-80 record against Big East foes winning 3 games once.

Then there was the whole facility and attendance issues. In 1995 they averaged 4,045 home attendance. That's not a typo. Their OOC was hurting the teams like Miami who were perennial national contenders

Reaction Score
They were so terrible that most teams had LBs that were quicker than any of their skill position players. They used to rely heavily on JUCO transfers. Al Golden really reformed that program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Navy playing Big East basketball should be a good watch.

Reaction Score
The problem with Dan's analysis is that Temple was never a true member of the Big East. They had a contract with the Big EAst that allowed them to play in the Big East football league until one side or the other felt like terminating the arrangement. In this case, it was the Big EAst that felt like terminating the arrangement.

It is not the same as throwing a member out. That has not happened even as all this realignment crap plays out, and it is not going to happen now. (And we don't even know that one school can be kicked out by others and how many it would take -- I'm guessing there is a "deal" on this that was tied in to our recent expansion. The hoops schools didn't let us bring in SMU and UCF just so they could then be kicked out -- I would bet you any amount that the only way to achieve what you want is for the football schools to leave.)

Reaction Score
Hate to bring it up but how is it they were so bad they have a winning record against us. (Gulp)

Reaction Score
Temple was always listed as an associate member which basically meant they had a contract for football only. In effect, the Big East didn't renew the contract. They were a very bad team, had substandard facilities, drew almost nobody to their games, they didn't have a home stadium. Their situation is very different form Seton hall, for example. The Hall was an original member of the Big East. The situation isn't just applicable to the Big East, I don't think. There has been talk over the years of the SEC dumping teams, notably Vanderbilt, but to do it, they would essentially have to disband then reform as I understand it. But once you do that, it opens up all kinds of other issues. I think the Big East would need to do something similar to get rid of Seton Hall or any one else. Of course the other alternative is to cut some type of deal, to in essence, buy them out. You might do something like that if you were in a more stable situation or if the football schools were prepared to leave if they couldn't get rid of some hoop schools. None of that is likely now, though.

Reaction Score
It was a mistake to kick them out without fielding a 9th football team as a replacement. Having an 8 game conference schedule should have taken priority over kicking out a bad team.

Right now they are doing a solid job. It will be interesting to see the attendance vs Rutgers this week as there should be plenty of Rutgers fans at the stadium.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it was a mistake to kick them out, but it was a mistake not to go to 9 teams. they could have added Louisville who was lobbying for a big East invite even back then, and UConn and had a more stable situation. Not saying it would have changed the way things went, but it would have made the recovery more smooth as well.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It was a mistake to kick them out without fielding a 9th football team as a replacement. Having an 8 game conference schedule should have taken priority over kicking out a bad team.

Right now they are doing a solid job. It will be interesting to see the attendance vs Rutgers this week as there should be plenty of Rutgers fans at the stadium.

You do know who replaced them right? That was the original deal. Temple goes, UConn comes in. And Nova had their offer to join the BE for Football in 1997 as part of the dump Temple negotiations. Flipper ran and hid at BC when Nova wanted him to put together an upgrade plan. I think his words then were "I'll never play Football against UConn. Never. Never in the same Conference"

Reaction Score
Temple was voted out of the Big East, by the then seven members of the big east football conference, in 2001. I think the first Big East conference meeting that was scheduled in 2001. (For reference sakes - 2000, was the year that the football upgrade for UConn to dvision 1-A, became reality - with the ground breaking for Rentschler field green light established)

By 2001, Temple was the only school left in teh Big East football conference, that was there - for football only, and they were so far below the attendance, and basic requirements set by the conference in the 1990s that it was bad, really bad. They were originally supposed to be out as of July 1, 2002, but were given more time, because of the clear issues they would face with scheduling.

By 2004, they were seriously considering dropping football from Temple, becuase they were so bad, and had no choice but to go to a crazy hard schedule as 1-A independant.

The problem at the time, that didn't seem to matter to Tranghese, but did to schools like Miami - was that they voted to kick out Temple, but really had no plans whatsoever to upgrade the conference other than to add.....at some point in the future.......UConn.

It is what it is.

Temple was not the only football only school, there were other big east football-only schools in the first 10 years of existence (1991-2001) - but they had all changed their relationships with the conference by then.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The problem with Dan's analysis is that Temple was never a true member of the Big East. They had a contract with the Big EAst that allowed them to play in the Big East football league until one side or the other felt like terminating the arrangement. In this case, it was the Big EAst that felt like terminating the arrangement.

It is not the same as throwing a member out. That has not happened even as all this realignment crap plays out, and it is not going to happen now. (And we don't even know that one school can be kicked out by others and how many it would take -- I'm guessing there is a "deal" on this that was tied in to our recent expansion. The hoops schools didn't let us bring in SMU and UCF just so they could then be kicked out -- I would bet you any amount that the only way to achieve what you want is for the football schools to leave.)

Have you looked at the by-laws? I wonder what, if any, termination procedures exist for a member school. Unilateral withdrawl, sure. Adversarial removal, I'm not so sure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Temple is much better off for getting the boot. Made them take a hard, realistic look at the program and decide whether to move forward or quit.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
was it the league voted them out becuase of poor performance?

► It was NOT about wins. Temple had made a number of promises to the B.E. about getting a better facility to improve attendance. (this was a very important issue back then to the NCAA to remain in Div IA) No progress was made. Also Temple lied about any number of things to the B.E. and missed many deadlines. As I recall Temple also sued the B.E. which delayed their exit by a year.

► The A.D.'s of the B.E. were very, very angry at Temple. They had enough of Temple BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom