How Danny Hurley Planned This Moment | The Boneyard

How Danny Hurley Planned This Moment

Reaction Score
Let's consider a scenario where the present "State of the Program" not only does not surprise DH, but fulfills a precisely-executed plan to the point of near perfection.

Step back to April of last year. DH knew he had three potential NBA-ers returning -- Sanogo, Hawkins and Jackson. He knew that all might declare in the spting of '23. How to maximize their last year?

He had two exceptional freshmen coming in -- Clingan and Karaban. Clingan would back up Sanogo, Karaban would back up Johnson at the 4. What did he need? He needed mature guard play and shooting at the wings. He made a decision. No more freshmen. He would go to the portal for experienced hands -- one and dones. To that extent, he would stake the pile on the 22-23 season.

We know what happened. Except for the Johnson injury, forcing Karaban into the starting lineup. it all worked as planned. The Natty was not necessarily expected, but it was planned for -- the path was laid open.

Fast forward to now. Sanaogo, Hawkins and Jackson have declared. Surprise! Three of the four one and dones look like they're one and done. Surprise! And, look here, we have a Top Five freshmen class, a class consisting of five guys recruited against one open scholarship. Repeat: Five guys recruited against one open scholarship. In other words, the current exodus is no surprise. It is one great big DUH!

Where do we go from here? We have the Fab Five Freshmen (with our burger PG) and two All-East (if not All-American) Sophs returning. We will likely have a healthy Johnson back. DH can now work the portal to fill in the gaps as he did last year. Jackson and Newton are wildcard possibilities.

Doesn't look like a shoo-in year for the 6th Natty, but that was never DH's plan. He staked the pile on 22-23 and won. His hope, no doubt, is for an NCAA showing this year and a sophomore-junior powerhouse next year. And if there's an NBA declaration or two in April 2024, I'll lay you it will be "No Surprise."

Reaction Score
And the flow of players into the draft and the league will only serve to strengthen the recruiting pipeline for some time to come. Calislimy recruits by putting kids into the league. Imagine what can be done when selling to kids you can go to the league and play past the first weekend in the tournament and maybe win it.

Reaction Score
1682020438837.png

Reaction Score
I just hope we don't turn into another one and done school. I never developed connections with short timers like Drummond.
I seriously doubt that. I believe DHs recruiting will get to the level where he`ll pick up a one and done per recruiting class but for the most part i think he`ll pull in two and three year guys.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The stupidity of people on the board can shine through almost anything, even a dominant championship season that came without big expectations
Are you demonstrating acceptance for such deficiencies by offering compassion and boosting our sense of camaraderie in the wake of an amazing season?

I think that Hurley's special genius in 2022-23 was accommodating the skeptics and naysayers so they could enjoy their season by carping about his inability to win close games; forecasting a team & program put in jeopardy by his emotional immaturity; and enjoying the thrill-ride of a well-engineered conclusion to the Big East season with concerns that the team wouldn't earn a conference tourney bye followed by a BET semi-finals loss that stuck the team 3 time zones away as a 4th seed with 4 other teams ranked in the NET Top 13, including 3 of the top 4 from the western US.

Something for everybody. Masterful.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Let's consider a scenario where the present "State of the Program" not only does not surprise DH, but fulfills a precisely-executed plan to the point of near perfection.

Step back to April of last year. DH knew he had three potential NBA-ers returning -- Sanogo, Hawkins and Jackson. He knew that all might declare in the spting of '23. How to maximize their last year?

He had two exceptional freshmen coming in -- Clingan and Karaban. Clingan would back up Sanogo, Karaban would back up Johnson at the 4. What did he need? He needed mature guard play and shooting at the wings. He made a decision. No more freshmen. He would go to the portal for experienced hands -- one and dones. To that extent, he would stake the pile on the 22-23 season.

We know what happened. Except for the Johnson injury, forcing Karaban into the starting lineup. it all worked as planned. The Natty was not necessarily expected, but it was planned for -- the path was laid open.

Fast forward to now. Sanaogo, Hawkins and Jackson have declared. Surprise! Three of the four one and dones look like they're one and done. Surprise! And, look here, we have a Top Five freshmen class, a class consisting of five guys recruited against one open scholarship. Repeat: Five guys recruited against one open scholarship. In other words, the current exodus is no surprise. It is one great big DUH!

Where do we go from here? We have the Fab Five Freshmen (with our burger PG) and two All-East (if not All-American) Sophs returning. We will likely have a healthy Johnson back. DH can now work the portal to fill in the gaps as he did last year. Jackson and Newton are wildcard possibilities.

Doesn't look like a shoo-in year for the 6th Natty, but that was never DH's plan. He staked the pile on 22-23 and won. His hope, no doubt, is for an NCAA showing this year and a sophomore-junior powerhouse next year. And if there's an NBA declaration or two in April 2024, I'll lay you it will be "No Surprise."Now we
Now we all have to suffer through a “rebuilding year”, I’m getting too old for this ….

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The interview running on ESPN right now is pure Hurley. Love “ This is going to happen every year” . He knows he has gotten the program back to being competitive every year and expects it. And the fans are “Going to have to look at the Championship trophy when any time they start lose patience and lose their minds”. He gets us fans and appreciates us. I think that is great

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Now we all have to suffer through a “rebuilding year”, I’m getting too old for this ….
Not sure how that was your read. If rebuilding is a top four finish in the BE and a possible run to sweet 16 I will take. Hurley will have at least two chips maybe three by the time he leaves.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
What's predictable is we finish a Top Ten Team at least half the years DH coaches going forward.

That's approx. JC's result. And that takes in the sanctions, health and conference turmoil that impeded recruiting later in his career. JC's a Hall of Fame coach but IMHO, DH is up to the challenge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's all she's ever known.

I'd mention that my granddaughter at least lived through the New Mexico State loss last year, but her daddy is a Jayhawk.
Your granddaughter is being raised properly

Reaction Score
Danny and the staff know what they want to get done on defense which is exactly why #5 trophy sits in the case. No matter who he runs out there it’s his defensive scheme that makes us competitive which is why I’m not worried. Our teams are better prepared and play harder than the competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom