How creighton made it | The Boneyard

How creighton made it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
http://www.omaha.com/article/201306...ig-east-how-creighton-made-it-to-the-big-time

So if I'm reading this right, jersey guy back then was hammered or false info but uconn was really trying to devalue fball to the Mac and play BE bball but the Catholics wanted what they wanted.

So this explains the following
- why we don't care about our fball program any more
- uconn and Cincy were thinking Mac and BE aka they were thinking bball first at a time when fball decisions were constantly the problem. So we still haven't learned what drives the bus even after all of this.
- the branding towards uconn vs connecticut because the bball program has value with the nick name and we don't care about football.

Why not just put us all out of our life's and drop fball? Do we have to p,at till 2025 for state contract reasons or something? I would rather drop and start a bball league with temple, cincy, memphis, VCU and witchita then do the dance we are right now.

Just a mess.

Reaction Score
http://www.omaha.com/article/201306...ig-east-how-creighton-made-it-to-the-big-time

So if I'm reading this right, jersey guy back then was hammered or false info but uconn was really trying to devalue fball to the Mac and play BE bball but the Catholics wanted what they wanted.

- uconn and Cincy were thinking Mac and BE aka they were thinking bball first at a time when fball decisions were constantly the problem. So we still haven't learned what drives the bus even after all of this.
- the branding towards uconn vs connecticut because the bball program has value with the nick name and we don't care about football.

Why not just put us all out of our life's and drop fball? Do we have to p,at till 2025 for state contract reasons or something? I would rather drop and start a bball league with temple, cincy, memphis, VCU and witchita then do the dance we are right now.

Just a mess.

The article does not say UConn or Cincy wanted to stay in the BE. It said they were rumored to be the 10th candidate with a host of schools including Creighton. The paper cites no sources, so they probably say rumors on The Boneyard.

Dan, you are delusional to think a large public land grant university was going to join a Catholic basketball league. Did UConn officials think about all options when Louisville got the ACC bid? Of course! But, remaining in the BE was never a viable option and the AAC was the only choice at this time.

Honestly, quit your rants and negativity as it is getting tired and old.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The article does not say UConn or Cincy wanted to stay in the BE. It said they were rumored to be the 10th candidate with a host of schools including Creighton. The paper cites no sources, so they probably say rumors on The Boneyard.

Dan, you are delusional to think a large public land grant university was going to join a Catholic basketball league. Did UConn officials think about all options when Louisville got the ACC bid? Of course! But, remaining in the BE was never a viable option and the AAC was the only choice at this time.

Honestly, quit your rants and negativity as it is getting tired and old.

You realize that Rutgers joined the big east at one time right? And uconn did also right? Yet I'm delusional to think a large land grant would join a catholic bball league? Turn off your Internet.

Also only choice my asz! I would rather take USF, Cincy, BSU, BYU and play each other home and away then this AAC crap.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
An article that references 'reports' does not make them any more true.

If we do find out UConn was willing to bury the football team in the MAC.... I will root for the professional demise of every person involved in that strategy.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
An article that references 'reports' does not make them any more true.

If we do find out UConn was willing to bury the football team in the MAC.... I will root for the professional demise of every person involved in that strategy.

Can't wait for this....

Reaction Score
You realize that Rutgers joined the big east at one time right? And uconn did also right? Yet I'm delusional to think a large land grant would join a catholic bball league? Turn off your Internet.

Also only choice my asz! I would rather take USF, Cincy, BSU, BYU and play each other home and away then this AAC crap.

You do realize that Rutgers REJECTED the BE right? When PSU asked to join, the plans were already there to create BE football.

Reaction Score

Just a mess.

You are just pulling stuff up out of your rear, and lying about whether articles you link support it.

Maybe you are ready for law school.

Reaction Score
As I read the whole article, it got crazier. The talk was about how the BE moved away from basketball and toward football in the 1990s. Next to nothing is mentioned about how Cuse, Pitt and BC were already football schools. Nothing about Penn state being rejected. Nothing about how Seton Hall was the replacement for Rutgers. In other words, the BE was already interested in having 4 football schools at the outset. By the time the early 1990s came along (UConn was already talking about D1 at that point), the only big additions would have been Miami and WV, and WV fit in well.

There was never a problem or cultural shift at all until the ACC expanded.

Then the article gets even loopier: it talks about geographic stretch of the new conference as being a mockery. Uh, hello! You are Omaha, Nebraska! The teams you mentioned as stretching the conference (i.e. Boise, SD St., etc.) were football-onlies. They would have stretched nothing. Only Houston and SMU were a big stretch, and those schools are much easier to get to than Omaha. WOW!

Then you have the johnny-come-lately Marquette Pres. giving a history of the conference that he doesn't know a damn thing about.

Then this: "the powerful Big East Catholic schools" :rolleyes:

The icing on the cake is how the Creighton AD thought the Pres. was nuts for even imagining Creighton would be invited. It rankled him that his staff had to do hundreds of hours of research to buttress their case to the BE.

This goes to show that AD attitudes have little to do with conference alignments. It's more about your metrics.

On some things, they had points:
“People come to watch winners,” Rasmussen would later tell the school's board. “No matter how strong the conference is, someone has to finish seventh, eight, ninth and 10th.”

He may be right, he may be wrong.

Finally, this:
If true, it posed a major barrier. Trying to get into a conference can be like pledging a fraternity. It takes only one or two “no” votes to keep you out.

It's how things work in committee. You don't go against vested interests unless you have a powerful vested interest yourself. Then you clash.

Reaction Score
Read that whole article and can't see how you came to your conclusion Dan. I understand your not happy with the aac, I don't know who is, but I have to ask when did you switch from Susan has us primed for a BIG invite to age tried to dump football in the MAC?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Read that whole article and can't see how you came to your conclusion Dan. I understand your not happy with the aac, I don't know who is, but I have to ask when did you switch from Susan has us primed for a BIG invite to age tried to dump football in the MAC?
Good question, but don't hold your breath waiting for an explanation that makes any sense.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Zaga/STM/UNLV/usu/nm/witch
Uconn/Mem/Cincy/temple/vcu/uh

How much does that bball league get tv wise per year? You play your division home and away then split the other division home and away every other year for 16 games.

Cincy, Mem, uconn and temple put football in the Mac. The Mac adds ecu, USF and UCF for 20. Umass, buffalo and north ill join the new guys for a division of ten. What is this leagues tv contract now?

There are a billion ways to make more money then how we sit today. Warde and Susan are lazy and not creative to getters.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

Guy said uconn and Cincy were in he final group of school being considered for a slot in the new big east. He isn't think creighton could get. Slot but he didn't understand how the Catholics had enough of football schools so uconn and Cincy were not getting novices and creighton did. At the same time tis happened jersey guy spilled Mac/Be beans with uconn and Susan quickly came out and claimed he was lying. Sounds pretty dam guilty to me they were thinking of devaluing the program to me.

So at this point I just throw my Hans in the air and realize they not care about fball so let's jut kill it or devalue it nd get on its life. It's obvious they don't give a crap.

Reaction Score
Dan, this is another example of you going off the rails. You have some great ideas but this is one of those times where you crush your credibility by getting hyped up about nothing. There is no story there.

Reaction Score
Zaga/STM/UNLV/usu/nm/witch
Uconn/Mem/Cincy/temple/vcu/uh

How much does that bball league get tv wise per year? You play your division home and away then split the other division home and away every other year for 16 games.

Cincy, Mem, uconn and temple put football in the Mac. The Mac adds ecu, USF and UCF for 20. Umass, buffalo and north ill join the new guys for a division of ten. What is this leagues tv contract now?

There are a billion ways to make more money then how we sit today. Warde and Susan are lazy and not creative to getters.

If, at the end of the day, football joins the MAC, you might as well start digging your grave. You'll never get out. You're asking for a piddling $2m more a year, while Syracuse is going to be earning $20m more than you. Unless UConn leaves this conference at some point, it's OVAH! And joining the MAC for football ensures that UConn will never leave this, or that, conference.

Reaction Score
So at this point I just throw my Hans in the air and realize they not care about fball so let's jut kill it or devalue it nd get on its life. It's obvious they don't give a crap.

When it comes to your posts, I threw my Franz up in the air a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Guy said uconn and Cincy were in he final group of school being considered for a slot in the new big east. He isn't think creighton could get. Slot but he didn't understand how the Catholics had enough of football schools so uconn and Cincy were not getting novices and creighton did. At the same time tis happened jersey guy spilled Mac/Be beans with uconn and Susan quickly came out and claimed he was lying. Sounds pretty dam guilty to me they were thinking of devaluing the program to me.

Youc are really reaching because it "sounds damn guilty" to you. There is no story as it pertains to UCONN. Uconn was barely mentioned.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Youc are really reaching because it "sounds damn guilty" to you. There is no story as it pertains to UCONN. Uconn was barely mentioned.

They were barely mentioned because its a story on creighton. For us to get even a mention gives the Mac/be thing legs.

That mention is one mention more Han our beat writers gave us during the messy timeline.

Reaction Score

I like the fact that you completely ignore the initial comment which basically suggested you have attached a link and completely made up some story about Uconn joining the BE.

For the record, the article mentions 'Connecticut' twice.
The first time is to suggest Creighton over the past 6 years has surpassed iconic programs like Indiana, Kansas, and Uconn in the rankings.
The second reference was to suggest schools most commonly mentioned as candidates for the 10th spot.

Never does it mention joining the MAC, de-valuing the program, or Uconn wanting to join the BE.
You are making crap up to prove your points.

I think I found your new avatar.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=iraq...201&start=0&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0,i:129

Reaction Score
Are you saying his post read like indecipherable code?
lol...
no. i tried to link a picture of the Iraqi Minister of Information.
clearly didn't work but your interpretation is pretty good too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The only thing Big about the Big East is the first word in its name. Creighton went from a low/medium mid-major to a higher mid major conference.

FanDan, you are making bigger leaps in fact than the author did. The article insinuates that Creighton has had 13 of 14 seasons of 20 wins. Who have they played? When top teams regularly play 35 games, to win 20 wins is no longer the benchmark for success it once was. While Creighton was on it's historically consistent run in "success" on the court and at the box office, there have been 10 and 6 different National Champions, respectfully. Not a one is Creighton.

The American is not a Big 4+1 conference to be sure, but I don't think it is a mid major in basketball either. I've mentioned why on close to a dozen posts (est.) I'll forego the explanation this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom