How competitive have we been? | The Boneyard

How competitive have we been?

Reaction Score
I was interested in how we’ve fared overall against tournament-caliber opponents the past two seasons, so I looked up our results and scores against RPI Top 50 teams. We all know there have been some bad losses in there. But other than that, have we been more or less competitive with some wins and some close losses (perhaps a bit of bad luck)? Or have we been consistently uncompetitive against quality opponents?

We’ve played 14 games the past two seasons against teams in the RPI Top 50. How do you think we did? Answer for yourself, then scroll down to see how the numbers match your general impressions. Better or worse than you thought?

(1 - Record): What is UConn’s record in its 14 games against RPI Top 50 teams the past two seasons?

(2 - Big Wins): How many wins by 8 points or more in these games?

(3 - Big Losses): How many losses by 8 points or more in these games?

(4 - Margin): What is the average margin of victory/loss per game across the 14 games?

Answers:
(1): 0-14
(2): 0
(3): 14
(4): -16 points

Was going to write some sort of concluding comment, but don’t have the heart. The numbers pretty much speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
(4 - Margin): What is the average margin of victory/loss per game across the 14 games?

Was going to write some sort of concluding comment, but don’t have the heart. The numbers pretty much speak for themselves.

I didn't understand why the spread against Nova was only -16 when it easily should have been 20+.

Thanks for clearing that up.

And we did much worse than I thought.

Reaction Score
I think we all know the team has been terrible the last two years for many reasons & it has been discussed many times over.

Reaction Score
This is my newest, favorite way of framing just how awful a state the program is in. We're not only a mid-major, we're an average mid-major.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I was interested in how we’ve fared overall against tournament-caliber opponents the past two seasons, so I looked up our results and scores against RPI Top 50 teams. We all know there have been some bad losses in there. But other than that, have we been more or less competitive with some wins and some close losses (perhaps a bit of bad luck)? Or have we been consistently uncompetitive against quality opponents?

We’ve played 14 games the past two seasons against teams in the RPI Top 50. How do you think we did? Answer for yourself, then scroll down to see how the numbers match your general impressions. Better or worse than you thought?

(1 - Record): What is UConn’s record in its 14 games against RPI Top 50 teams the past two seasons?

(2 - Big Wins): How many wins by 8 points or more in these games?

(3 - Big Losses): How many losses by 8 points or more in these games?

Answers:
(1): 0-14
(2): 0
(3): 14

For whoever our next coach is, those types of results had damn well better be "cause" for termination. Just an abominable job by KO and company.

Reaction Score
Glad you put this together but it's actually worse than what I thought, and I think the fans have been incredibly forgiving and patient to this point due to some of the circumstances. It's been the inability to even be competitive against the better teams that is driving the coaching talk.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Wow. That is bad. I'd be interested to see our record against 51-100 teams.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused at some of the replies here.

Prior to the above stats did none of you realize we stunk last year and again stink this year?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Prior to the above stats did none of you realize we stunk last year and again stink this year?
I would have thought maybe 2-12 but not 0-14.

Reaction Score
That 8 point spread seems very arbitrary. What if you used 9 points or 10?

Reaction Score

I knew we stunk. I didn't realize we were 0-14 against top 50 teams. What's confusing about that?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have no idea, but if going to 10 would make it only say, 11 out 14 losses by double figures; would it really make you feel better about things? Fer cryin' out loud, not a close game in the bunch.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I would have thought maybe 2-12 but not 0-14.

I knew we stunk. I didn't realize we were 0-14 against top 50 teams. What's confusing about that?

I'm not sure what value would be added if one or two of the wins we had over that stretch, the team ended up being ranked say 47 instead of wherever they ended up. I don't see how it would have made what happened more palatable.

It seems that a lot of people on this board post about how bad we are a day or two after having posted about how bad we are. It's as if they expected something to have changed from Monday to Wednesday or that they act like they never noticed until today what has happened (even though there is a ton of evidence that they were outraged enough to post incessantly numerous times over the past fifteen months).

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what value would be added if one or two of the wins we had over that stretch, the team ended up being ranked say 47 instead of wherever they ended up. I don't see how it would have made what happened more palatable.

It seems that a lot of people on this board post about how bad we are a day or two after having posted about how bad we are. It's as if they expected something to have changed from Monday to Wednesday or that they act like they never noticed until today what has happened (even though there is a ton of evidence that they were outraged enough to post incessantly numerous times over the past fifteen months).

Not sure what else you might be expecting on a message board for a team that has stunk for the past 15 months. Guess we need more blind hope threads about Ollie turning it around and his 100th ranked recruits bringing UConn back to being relevant again.

Reaction Score

We lost 12 of the 14 games by 9+
We lost 11 of the 14 games by 10+
We lost 6 of the 14 games by 20+

Which of those stats looks good to you?

As for choosing 8, I was personally somewhat shocked that not only had we failed to beat a single Top 50 team, we hadn’t even managed to lose a single game by less than 8 points. I knew we’d had some bad games, but didn’t know it had been that consistently, reliably bad.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Not sure what else you might be expecting on a message board for a team that has stunk for the past 15 months. Guess we need more blind hope threads about Ollie turning it around and his 100th ranked recruits bringing UConn back to being relevant again.
No but I don't see what good it does anyone to behave as if nobody noticed how bad we have been until today.

Reaction Score

We know what we've been seeing. Two years of stinking to this degree is not a short time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Raw numbers sometimes make things that much more clear, and yet you got confusion. Nice work.

Reaction Score
No but I don't see what good it does anyone to behave as if nobody noticed how bad we have been until today.
There are still a few people out there who like to pretend it isn’t as bad as it looks and beating Coppin State is something to crow about. This kind of puts a pin in that theory.

Reaction Score

It's not noticing UConn stinks.... but how bad. As bad as I know UConn has been over the last two seasons those numbers surprised me. With every loss we will continue to get worse and set a new low bar for the program that will be documented on this board.

What good it does..... Keeps content on the board for fans to discuss.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
So -

mj0Kd.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members