How Coaches Build Their Schedule | The Boneyard

How Coaches Build Their Schedule

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, there are a number of coaches that head to the nearest school bake sale to line up as many cupcakes as they can find, at least when it comes to their OOC opponents. Geno does whatever the opposite of that is when he schedules OOC opponents.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A bit surprised by some of the concerns of the best programs in the country. This bit by Graves in particular.

While many high-major coaches avoid teams like Roussell’s Bucknell squads, Graves took his then-7th-ranked Ducks to South Dakota State to face the Jackrabbits on Dec. 12 of last season. Oregon escaped with a hard-fought 87–79 victory against a team that many didn’t know about. South Dakota State finished in the top 10 in HHS rating last year, but never cracked the AP Top 25.

Graves isn’t planning a return trip anytime soon. “Those teams that are sneaky good, you don’t wanna go on the road to play them because they’re tough on the road,” he said. “The people who know, know. But the casual fan may not know.” After the near-defeat in Brookings, Graves added, “People were wondering, ‘Wow, what the hell happened?’ You know what happened? They’re freaking good!”

When does your program become good enough that you do not have to think this way? Even if you lose such a game, how much would it really affect your Tournament seeding over a 30+ schedule and how better to prepare to play teams you have little prior knowledge in the Tournament than replicating the experience. :confused::confused:

Reaction Score
I think it is pretty simple for Coach Auriemma and UConn. First, schedule "home" away games for all seniors on the roster. Then, start at #1 in the country and work down until you find enough teams to fill out your schedule. Oh yeah I forgot, add in a couple games to meet up with old coaching pals and share a nice bottle of wine over dinner(see Doug Bruno). :D

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A bit surprised by some of the concerns of the best programs in the country. This bit by Graves in particular.

When does your program become good enough that you do not have to think this way? Even if you lose such a game, how much would it really affect your Tournament seeding over a 30+ schedule and how better to prepare to play teams you have little prior knowledge in the Tournament than replicating the experience. :confused::confused:
Answer to the first question - be UConn or very nearly on their level. Answer to the 2nd one - yes, it doesn't take much to affect your seeding - and it can be unpredictable. Remember - the difference between a 3 and 4 seed in UConn's region could be the difference between Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (which is a big difference to teams that don't routinely head to the Final Four). I don't think a very good team should be afraid to play SDS or Green Bay in Green Bay or whatever, but it may not be desirable, either.

Sadly, I don't have time to read the article right now, although I have read others with similar premises.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Yes agree on the point on NCCA Tournament Seeding...Unfortunately the Big Doors Swing On Small Hinges comes to mind...committee doesn’t always look at the full body of work...and they will sometimes point to loss to a low ranked team as a determining factor of leaving a team out...

Reaction Score
Well, there are a number of coaches that head to the nearest school bake sale to line up as many cupcakes as they can find, at least when it comes to their OOC opponents. Geno does whatever the opposite of that is when he schedules OOC opponents.

Clearly UConn's move (back) into the Big East portends an uptick in the level of competition (as well as travel issues, etc.). Frankly, I began to become bored with the American conference games; can't see how they served any purpose other than filling out the sched. Some teams are shameless (MD Terps, for one) in their scheduling, playing teams that can barely put 5 players on the court. At UConn we can generally count on contending with the top teams in the country. With the Big East we make strike a pretty good competitive balance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom