How Coach Geno Auriemma plans to delegate the point guard position | The Boneyard

How Coach Geno Auriemma plans to delegate the point guard position

sun

Reaction Score
This move marks a necessary changing of the proverbial guard at UConn in more than one important way.
Not only does UConn need to develop a whole new team chemistry due to the graduation of the senior leaders & Paige's injury which represents 4 key experienced players, but there's also a lack of overall experience & experience playing together for a significant length of time.
If we examine individual playing experience by their amount of team chemistry, then UConn lacks the continuity of having enough proven, reliable veteran scoring leaders on the team.
Azzi, Carol & Aubrey missed a lot of games, Dorka didn't average very many minutes, and Nika & Edwards weren't leading scorers & playmakers that could be relied on to deliver points in bulk or in the clutch.
That's why UConn needs to come up with a new identity and scoring chemistry while Paige is out.
They'll all be forced to grow their game & skills under game pressure to become better all around players.

Women players are said to generally not have as keen peripheral vision as the men players do.
Some women probably do while others don't.
But IMO it's vitally important for UConn to develop those players who do because that can make a huge difference in making plays & the best decisions to win the big games.
Some new chemistry & playmaking needs to be established to fill the voids in experience left by the departed & injured players.
It will become more apparent during the big games which players are the stronger & weaker links on the team, and which need to work on contributing more to the new formula.
UConn can't rely on only a few players, they will need a total team effort that only a nearly total make over in team chemistry can help provide.
It's a matter of necessity mostly due to personnel changes, but also due to a tough schedule and the amount of proven senior level experience that our opponents will have that we're lacking this year.
Hopefully it can be developed soon enough.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
One other thing about how some folks don't like to see changes outside of their familiar comfort zone.
Some will say that so & so was recruited as a PG, or another was a PG in high school.
Many major league baseball players were shortstops in high school, yet end up playing many different positions once they get drafted into the major leagues including the outfield.
It's the same with high school quarterbacks when they get to college.
Many end up playing other positions in order to stay on the field and to get PT.
They do whatever is asked of them whether it's to catch passes, become a running back or play defense.
These are athletes and BB players, and they'll happily do whatever Geno wants them to do.
He's the wizard behind the curtain that's trying to work everything out for the best.
We're all going to need to be patient to see how the changes will work out over the course of the entire season.
It's not magic, it's all about team & player growth & necessity.
That's Geno's job, he's like a farmer that's growing talent and there's a little bit of a drought of experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi at PG makes the entire team better, in a way similar to what Paige did for the team. She can penetrate AND make the shot. She could learn a lot from watching how Rori Harmon takes the ball from a deep position and maneuvers off the dribble to either open up a teammate or get off that pull up jumper. She will have picks set for her and she will be the prime mover of the offense. Everything opens up offensively with Azzi at PG and she doesn't hurt us on defense.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If Azzi starts at PG then that may mean that Lou could start at the 2. No, no, no. If this happens then we will have nobody coming off the bench that can impact the game at guard. I know we have Bigs galore, but we will need an impact guard to sub in when Azzi or Caroline are on the bench. Even if Nika improves her offensive game she would not have the talent to hit shots at the pace that the others can. Sure, Azzi can play the point, but for the majority of the game she has to play the 2, and Nika can set her and Caroline up for their 3's. Then, Lou2 can come in and do her thing. We can't afford to put all of our eggs in one basket in case fouls become a problem. We have 3 possibly great shooters, and it would be insane to put the three of them on the floor together except under critical circumstances. Besides, we have to develop our inside game, and having all our outside shooting options together can slow down our "inside the paint" progress.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think it is clear we will not have a conventional PG arrangement. Geno has already said what the game plan is for Azzi. Score Score Score at all levels Look to score first and only when they double / triple team to pass to the open player. And no way should Azzi not at least triple her FT attempts. A 90 + % FT shooter should not average 1.4 FT attempts.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Azzi starts at PG then that may mean that Lou could start at the 2. No, no, no. If this happens then we will have nobody coming off the bench that can impact the game at guard. I know we have Bigs galore, but we will need an impact guard to sub in when Azzi or Caroline are on the bench. Even if Nika improves her offensive game she would not have the talent to hit shots at the pace that the others can. Sure, Azzi can play the point, but for the majority of the game she has to play the 2, and Nika can set her and Caroline up for their 3's. Then, Lou2 can come in and do her thing. We can't afford to put all of our eggs in one basket in case fouls become a problem. We have 3 possibly great shooters, and it would be insane to put the three of them on the floor together except under critical circumstances. Besides, we have to develop our inside game, and having all our outside shooting options together can slow down our "inside the paint" progress.
Aren't you forgetting about Aubrey?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Confused Tom Hanks GIF

I'm surprised that you are surprised and thought that this was going to play out any other way.

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying, but with the Azzi starting at PG scenario, and I'm assuming Caroline is starting too (she better), and if Lou isn't also starting, then who is the other guard- Aubrey? I wouldn't mind especially if Aubrey shows herself as being a good shooter. On the other hand, if Aubrey does have a good shot and is able to get points, then having Lou start and having Aubrey comiing off the bench isn't a bad option at all. Not to mention Nika's availability.

Reaction Score
Bald Huskie, 2 days ago Auriemma named his shooters as Azzi, Caroline, Lou and Aubrey. His evaluation may matter more than your consideration . This team has the talent to mix and match at any position .

Reaction Score
Yes Yes Yes. I don't see any problem starting Azzi at pg taken in isolation. But a few consequences will follow, and Geno may think these are worth the risk.

First, I don't think it makes much sense to start Nika as an sg next to Azzi, then. But starting Lou at the 2 or the 3 means we have less experience running our defensive schemes. This may be what he meant by saying "we may need to win some games 100-97."

Second, Geno might end up running an offense-defense platoon with Nika and Lou. My guess, uninformed as it is, would be that Lou would get more minutes in that role than Nika, but Nika would get some additional minutes spelling Azzi at pg. But Nika is a resourceful player who finds herself in the oddest matchups -- in the Indiana game, for example, she guarded Holmes under the rim on a couple of occasions and was strong enough to keep her from simply posting her up. Who would have imagined little Nika holding off a very skilled post and denying the entry pass at the same time?

Third, Caroline would end up playing effectively at the wing, since she is an experienced (and sometimes devastating) defensive player. This is clearly a role Lou can play as well if pressed, and Aubrey and Ayanna may get a few minutes there, too.

I guess this is how he'll think about the "positionless" scheme this year, that we're running a 3 guard offense, but they blur into something more like a 1/2, a 2/3, and a 3/4. One thing such a scheme might do is open up a few minutes for Ines when we simply want a pure pg on the floor.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm not as concerned or surprised about the situation as everybody else.

The reality is that Azzi will be starting SG and back up PG which means she'll slide over when Nika takes a break or gets some fouls. That makes room for the other available guards to play their more comfortable 2 or 3 guard position since Azzi is the most talented. Talent also brings responsibility.... she did a really good job facilitating for team USA when she was having foot issues and couldn't really put weight on the foot to shoot. She still really impacted the game because of her talent.

Now that is not an unheard of formula in the UConn identity. Geno always recruits talented high bball IQ guards.

For instance, I'll start with the greatest of all which is the Sue/DT back court. DT was the back up PG while being the starting SG. Quite often it was hard to really tell who was playing which role... I'll give honorable mention to the likes of Hartley/MoJeff, MoJeff/Nurse, Danger/Nurse, and when healthy Paige/Nika. Doty had that versatility too when healthy.

My main point is starting SG and back up PG is not a foreign concept in a UConn offense.

Reaction Score
Yes Yes Yes. I don't see any problem starting Azzi at pg taken in isolation. But a few consequences will follow, and Geno may think these are worth the risk.

First, I don't think it makes much sense to start Nika as an sg next to Azzi, then. But starting Lou at the 2 or the 3 means we have less experience running our defensive schemes. This may be what he meant by saying "we may need to win some games 100-97."

Second, Geno might end up running an offense-defense platoon with Nika and Lou. My guess, uninformed as it is, would be that Lou would get more minutes in that role than Nika, but Nika would get some additional minutes spelling Azzi at pg. But Nika is a resourceful player who finds herself in the oddest matchups -- in the Indiana game, for example, she guarded Holmes under the rim on a couple of occasions and was strong enough to keep her from simply posting her up. Who would have imagined little Nika holding off a very skilled post and denying the entry pass at the same time?

Third, Caroline would end up playing effectively at the wing, since she is an experienced (and sometimes devastating) defensive player. This is clearly a role Lou can play as well if pressed, and Aubrey and Ayanna may get a few minutes there, too.

I guess this is how he'll think about the "positionless" scheme this year, that we're running a 3 guard offense, but they blur into something more like a 1/2, a 2/3, and a 3/4. One thing such a scheme might do is open up a few minutes for Ines when we simply want a pure pg on the floor.
Chit-chat filler speculation impatiently awaiting the first tip off.
Nika starts from the first tip until team fails to function or a sub bests her sometime on the floor.
Geno states plenty of shooters.
Nika stalwart defender.
Nika played in 33 games last season.
Put it all out there for UCONN and Coach.
Unless someone is better, demonstrably better in practice and in games- she starts until someone TAKES it from her.

Reaction Score
I just wanted to say that most expect the PG minutes to be split between Nika and Azzi regardless of who starts, which I agree with, but who comes off the bench to give the PG a blow could be any of the possibilities for positions 1-3.

To take the most extreme example if Nika is playing the point, could Aubrey or Ayanna come in for her? Sure, if Azzi stays in and plays the point. Aubrey or Ayanna would probably be used mostly at the 3, and Caroline or Lou moves to the 2. The other players just move over a position.

Nika will probably play pretty exclusively at the point mostly because PG Nika and SG Azzi is much better than PG Azzi and SG Nika. Both players at their more natural position. Azzi obviously will be asked to play the point when Nika is sitting so she has to be a 2/1 but most of the game at the 2. Caroline and Lou have the flexibility to swing back and forth between the 2 and 3, and Aubrey and Ayanna mostly just the 3.

So if Aubrey or Ayanna is at the 3, Nika could come off the bench for them as well. Azzi, Caroline and Lou can be at least a two position player pretty comfortably and that makes it possible. Geno won't have as much situational or game substitution strategy available to him if he winds up trying to maximize how many of the 120 minutes for 1-3 are consumed by his top 4 players there. Substitutions will be made more based on managing rest periods than game needs.

To the extent we get a good 5th or 6th option to compliment that group (Aubrey, Ayanna, or maybe Inez), that Geno is comfortable using, that strategic flexibility will return, assuming of course everyone is healthy.

Reaction Score
You missed one combination. P.T. guard Azzi is better than P.G. Nika. Nika would be sitting and not be be the S.G. This will sort itself out, as the games vs. quality teams come up early in the schedule. We can than see who plays where and for how many minutes.

Reaction Score
Interesting points of views. Unfortunately can't open the article. So is Azzi odds on favorite to start at point guard? Atleast to start the season?

Reaction Score
Nika starts from the first tip until team fails to function or a sub bests her sometime on the floor.
I agree, as many have said in other threads. The season will begin with the veterans starting: Nika Azzi Caroline Dorka Aaliyah. But the question here, and what I took Geno to mean, is that the starting lineup cold evolve into something a little different. Lou could well start by January, with the consequences indicated. Yes, it's all idle speculation, but what else is there before the season starts?

So is Azzi odds on favorite to start at point guard? Atleast to start the season?
I don't think so, but I've been wrong before. I think Nika will begin the season at starting pg. But I think there's some likelihood Azzi will become the starting pg in the end.

Reaction Score
Before Paige came back last year for the playoffs, Azzi handled the ball quite a bit. Didn't seem to matter whether Muhl or Fudd was the primary playmaker - the ball movement was outstanding and the overall team speed one of the best of any UConn team I have seen. With UConn needing to overcome the height and bulk of Stanford and SC, I love the thought of multiple guard and "3" rotations with more speed and quickness than Huskie competitors.

Reaction Score
Nika needs to be the Starting PG period. Anything other than that we will be in hot water faster than we know it . Lou can be eased into the rotation or just use Caroline at the 4 and Dorka at the 5 bringing Edwards off the Bench .

Nika
Azzi
Lou
Caroline
Dorka
(Tough gritty team)
or

Azzi
Lou
Caroline
Edwards
Dorka
(more scoring powered team)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nika needs to be the Starting PG period. Anything other than that we will be in hot water faster than we know it . Lou can be eased into the rotation or just use Caroline at the 4 and Dorka at the 5 bringing Edwards off the Bench .

Nika
Azzi
Lou
Caroline
Dorka
(Tough gritty team)
or

Azzi
Lou
Caroline
Edwards
Dorka
(more scoring powered team)
Why?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well they have just started practicing. Geno is thinking out loud about the PG position. The chemistry has to develop as it does each year. That's what practice and scrimmages are all about.

Many may not like it, but Nika starts at the point. Azzi is not, I repeat, is not a PG. Geno wants her to shoot. She needs to be able to move and get open to shoot. She's open, Nika gets her the ball were she needs it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom