How can UConn's deep, talented roster eliminate weaknesses during practice? | The Boneyard

How can UConn's deep, talented roster eliminate weaknesses during practice?

Reaction Score
From today's New Haven Register. Stuff about Sanogo fouling less, Jackson shooting better, Whaley shooting threes, etc.

With Jackson, the issue is even more obvious: shooting. More specifically, 3-point shooting. He shot 41-percent from the floor as a freshman, but a mere 2-for-17 (11.8 percent) from 3.

“If he takes the right type of 3’s,” predicted Hurley, “I think he’ll make enough that people will have to respect him.”

But the fourth-year Husky head coach isn’t overly worried.

“There’s like five, six, seven other things that this guy can do, at such an elite level, that the shooting kind of gets overstated,” Hurley said. “He should be one of the best perimeter defenders in the country. And he should be a playmaker at the defensive end, getting in passing lanes, big-time blocks, transition game. Offensively, when this guy gets in the open court, you can’t load the paint against him. Offensive rebounder, elite-level stuff as a guy who can drive the ball, get downhill, see the floor and finish big at the rim. There’s so many things this guy can do, if he just sticks to the script on how he needs to play. Catch-and-shoot, rhythm 3’s, and stick to the script of these other things that he can do elite-level.”

Alternate free link: How can UConn's deep, talented roster eliminate weaknesses during practice?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Hurley is a great motivator. Getting on the star pg so early in the season definitely gets the attention of the younger guys. Such an eye opener to come in that young, freshly recruited and see the coach tear into the ass of a potential 1st team all conference guy. I love it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
From today's New Haven Register. Stuff about Sanogo fouling less, Jackson shooting better, Whaley shooting threes, etc.

With Jackson, the issue is even more obvious: shooting. More specifically, 3-point shooting. He shot 41-percent from the floor as a freshman, but a mere 2-for-17 (11.8 percent) from 3.

“If he takes the right type of 3’s,” predicted Hurley, “I think he’ll make enough that people will have to respect him.”

But the fourth-year Husky head coach isn’t overly worried.

“There’s like five, six, seven other things that this guy can do, at such an elite level, that the shooting kind of gets overstated,” Hurley said. “He should be one of the best perimeter defenders in the country. And he should be a playmaker at the defensive end, getting in passing lanes, big-time blocks, transition game. Offensively, when this guy gets in the open court, you can’t load the paint against him. Offensive rebounder, elite-level stuff as a guy who can drive the ball, get downhill, see the floor and finish big at the rim. There’s so many things this guy can do, if he just sticks to the script on how he needs to play. Catch-and-shoot, rhythm 3’s, and stick to the script of these other things that he can do elite-level.”

Alternate free link: How can UConn's deep, talented roster eliminate weaknesses during practice?

Love it. This is how I see him as well. I think he can do things defensively that we haven't seen since Nadav and Burrell. That doesn't make him a lock down man defender, but a great team defender that will disrupt the passing game and create transition opportunities. Hurley has to get out of his way a bit for that to happen.

He can score double digit points without taking a single 3 point shot. If he can take two clean looks a game out there, and make a few, then they need to come out and he will start blowing by guys, drawing interior defenders and passing for dunks by Martin, Sanogo, Akok and Whaley.

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment Hawk. By all accounts he has worked his butt off. If he can make a few shots especially early he's going to be special. Really excited about AJ.

Reaction Score
Found it interesting that DH used the term (loosely) defensive playmaker in describing his game/skills. Never heard those terms used together before but that's an excellent way to characterize his skill set on D. Disruptive. Starting the Offense through his defense at that end of the floor.

The elite skills DH refers to easily gets him 8 to 10 pts without even taking/making a three. Can make his FTs. I expect him to be a key contributor to our season and Tournament run this year.

Reaction Score
Love it. This is how I see him as well. I think he can do things defensively that we haven't seen since Nadav and Burrell. That doesn't make him a lock down man defender, but a great team defender that will disrupt the passing game and create transition opportunities. Hurley has to get out of his way a bit for that to happen.

He can score double digit points without taking a single 3 point shot. If he can take two clean looks a game out there, and make a few, then they need to come out and he will start blowing by guys, drawing interior defenders and passing for dunks by Martin, Sanogo, Akok and Whaley.

I agree with what you said IF his handle has improved. He rarely took guys off the dribble last season despite his elite athleticism. He didn't trust his handle.

Reaction Score
That Jackson can do a lot of different things to impact the game (true and valuable!) doesn't change the fact that if teams don't respect his 3-point shooting, everyone becomes easier to defend in the half-court offense.

We can't just sweep that issue under the rug.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree with what you said IF his handle has improved. He rarely took guys off the dribble last season despite his elite athleticism. He didn't trust his handle.
I don’t know if that was it or it was the fact that everyone was playing off him essentially daring him to shoot.

Reaction Score
Eh, if he shoots 11% from 3 again, he's basically unplayable if we expect to have a semblance of an offense. If he can't make shots, we are relying on Akok and Whaley to be +++ shooters to make up for it. Can't put 2 decent 3 point shooters on the floor and expect anything to happen.

I wonder if Hurley is just trying to take the pressure off him offensively. It will only take a couplefew attempts per game at 30% to turn things around. That isn't that tall of a task.

Reaction Score
That Jackson can do a lot of different things to impact the game (true and valuable!) doesn't change the fact that if teams don't respect his 3-point shooting, everyone becomes easier to defend in the half-court offense.

We can't just sweep that issue under the rug.
Then it becomes 5 against 4 if he doesn't develop a shot and take players off the dribble.

He needs to be more than Renaldo Blackmon.

Reaction Score
Also... a lot of the stuff with Jackson depends on how much license coach gives the guys to play fast. Jackson will do much better if he can run, run, run. Coach likes to talk about running a lot, but it never translated to games except for that one season at URI. I think he's only had 1 season being top 100 in pace ever.

Potential other hiccup is that Jackson's fast-paced, dynamic play style is kind of opposed to Sanogo's who is a slow-it-down in the frontcourt kind of player.... curious to see how we balance that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Eh, if he shoots 11% from 3 again, he's basically unplayable if we expect to have a semblance of an offense. If he can't make shots, we are relying on Akok and Whaley to be +++ shooters to make up for it. Can't put 2 decent 3 point shooters on the floor and expect anything to happen.

I wonder if Hurley is just trying to take the pressure off him offensively. It will only take a couplefew attempts per game at 30% to turn things around. That isn't that tall of a task.

He's not unplayable, but his situations will be more limited. You can win basketball games without bombing threes. Especially if your defense and transition game are elite. Ours could be if we want it to, but it would require sacrificing some shooting. I think he will easily top 25% out there, and may go over 30%.

Reaction Score
He's not unplayable, but his situations will be more limited. You can win basketball games without bombing threes. Especially if your defense and transition game are elite. Ours could be if we want it to, but it would require sacrificing some shooting. I think he will easily top 25% out there, and may go over 30%.
I hope you're right but those are pretty lofty goals based on his percentages last year. And while I agree that on its own him not being a threat from 3 doesn't make him unplayable, it becomes a lot closer when 2 of our other starters are non-factors from 3 as well (Martin and Sanogo). Only so many minutes you can give to guys who can't shoot

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I hope you're right but those are pretty lofty goals based on his percentages last year. And while I agree that on its own him not being a threat from 3 doesn't make him unplayable, it becomes a lot closer when 2 of our other starters are non-factors from 3 as well (Martin and Sanogo). Only so many minutes you can give to guys who can't shoot

Martin is not a non-factor from 3. 2/3 the way through last season he was our best 3 point shooter. He had a slump at the end when playing with Bouknight. I think he'll be over 35%. Even with the slump he ended up at 32%. Better than Bouknight. Through the first Providence game on Feb 19th, he was 13-28 46% from 3.

Reaction Score
Martin is not a non-factor from 3. 2/3 the way through last season he was our best 3 point shooter. He had a slump at the end when playing with Bouknight. I think he'll be over 35%. Even with the slump he ended up at 32%. Better than Bouknight. Through the first Providence game on Feb 19th, he was 13-28 46% from 3.
I know, you've repeated those numbers over and over again and they do nothing for me. He's not a good shooter and I'm not sure why you believe the first half of the year is more indicative of who he is. The reason why he went through a cold stretch to end the year is his first half was unsustainable and the numbers regressed to exactly where they were the first 2 years of his career. He's a 32% career 3 point shooter who shot 32% last year and 31 and 32% the first 2 years.

Non-factor is probably a bit harsh but he's not someone we should want taking 3's in our offense the same way Jackson shouldn't be. When they're open, sure, they need to take them and hit a decent amount. But my point is you can't play Martin, Jackson, and Sanogo together, it's not 1990 anymore

Reaction Score

Hence the second post. If Hurley doesn't let the guys run (assuming Jackson's 3 pt shooting still isn't good), the situations you can play him shrink drastically. You essentially can't play him with any 4 that isn't a floor spacer--and we don't know if any of ours will be yet. Martin, Akok, Whaley, Johnson are all question marks. If that % jumps up to 32%+ for Jackson then the whole point I'm making is moot and he stands a chance of being MIP in the Big East.

Hurley has been a whole lotta talk when it comes to running the basketball and hasn't lived up to it yet at any point in his head coaching history. Personally, I'm not holding my breath. But I'd love to see it. I think we'll be a good team regardless though--especially with the shooters we've got coming in like Karaban.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I know, you've repeated those numbers over and over again and they do nothing for me. He's not a good shooter and I'm not sure why you believe the first half of the year is more indicative of who he is. The reason why he went through a cold stretch to end the year is his first half was unsustainable and the numbers regressed to exactly where they were the first 2 years of his career. He's a 32% career 3 point shooter who shot 32% last year and 31 and 32% the first 2 years.

Non-factor is probably a bit harsh but he's not someone we should want taking 3's in our offense the same way Jackson shouldn't be. When they're open, sure, they need to take them and hit a decent amount. But my point is you can't play Martin, Jackson, and Sanogo together, it's not 1990 anymore

I guarantee you we will play those three at times, because that's our best defensive lineup. But I expect Jackson to improve to about 30%. I think Martin will end up around 35-36%. He didn't just regress to the mean, his slump coincided exactly with Bouknight returning and his role changing. To @husky429's point about shooting from the 4, I think Akok will show he's an over 30% 3 point shooter as well. Whaley was last year, but on so few attempts it is tough to judge. Meanwhile, Hawkins is expected to be much better from 3 than Bouk was.

I do hope we run more, because this team is built for it, with great rebounders, speed and outlet passing. I wonder if we all remember just how fast Akok was down the court. If we are mostly playing slow half court offense, our team isn't going to be very good.

Reaction Score
I guarantee you we will play those three at times, because that's our best defensive lineup. But I expect Jackson to improve to about 30%. I think Martin will end up around 35-36%. He didn't just regress to the mean, his slump coincided exactly with Bouknight returning and his role changing. To @husky429's point about shooting from the 4, I think Akok will show he's an over 30% 3 point shooter as well. Whaley was last year, but on so few attempts it is tough to judge. Meanwhile, Hawkins is expected to be much better from 3 than Bouk was.

I do hope we run more, because this team is built for it, with great rebounders, speed and outlet passing. I wonder if we all remember just how fast Akok was down the court. If we are mostly playing slow half court offense, our team isn't going to be very good.
I hope you're right, I just don't have the same expectations for all these massive improvements from 3. If Jackson, Akok, Martin are all shooting with those percentages from 3 we're looking at a top 10-15 team and Jackson and Akok are both getting drafted this year. I'd sign up for that right now though, especially the part about us running in transition which I expect to happen

Reaction Score
I hope you're right, I just don't have the same expectations for all these massive improvements from 3. If Jackson, Akok, Martin are all shooting with those percentages from 3 we're looking at a top 10-15 team and Jackson and Akok are both getting drafted this year. I'd sign up for that right now though, especially the part about us running in transition which I expect to happen
I don't think Akok being an over 30% three point shooter is hard at all to envision. He's a 27% three point shooter for his short injury plagued career. He has really nice form. I think a finally healthy season and a tick over 30% is inevitable, it also doesn't mean he's getting drafted after this seaon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom