How big a loss? | The Boneyard

How big a loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
we are now the 2 seed in the Big east.
we will probably still be a 1 seed in the NCAAs.

yes, questions about winning it all swarm this board.
but, i like our chances!

Reaction Score
If you're talking about tangible things like seeding, then yeah, this loss doesn't mean very much.

But when you fit it into the long-developing narrative of a group of players who can't win close games -- especially in the choking fashion with which they lost this one, to a team who's had a hex on them -- it's crushing psychologically.

Reaction Score
The problem is confidence. Geno is master at convincing players they are unbeatable when he has successes he can build on. And that breeds more success, and so on. He is less good at repairing damage. And how can these players not doubt their ability to win? 3 games in which they've lost a lead. I would be shocked if thats not messing with their psyches.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This loss could be really tough to recover from. The last time there was a loss this tough was the Duke game in the 03-04 season. It took that team a few games to recover, but this one has to be worse given the opponent, the recent history and what was at stake. We'll early next week.

Reaction Score
The problem is confidence. Geno is master at convincing players they are unbeatable when he has successes he can build on. And that breeds more success, and so on. He is less good at repairing damage. And how can these players not doubt their ability to win? 3 games in which they've lost a lead. I would be shocked if thats not messing with their psyches.

I think the big problem is guard play not confidence. ND's guards are much better than ours and so are Baylors.

The Kelly-Bria combination is our best. Caroline suprisingly wilted under the presure and Jefferson didn't look good for the couple of minutes she played. I do think they will have to give Moriah some more minutes because we will need her speed against ND and Baylor and Kelly and Bria will need some rest time.

On the positive side Morgan is improving each game and will make us better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the game actually has little impact. We've seen a pattern of not being able to close out good teams in close games. This was another case. The team plays well enough to win, but comes up just short in crunch time. Yeah, the players had to be drained after the game. However, they have to be really pissed too. I don't think they are devastated. They likely get 2 more shots at ND. The players and coaches need to figure out what to change. Whatever they have tried has been inadequate. Last night was another data point in a pattern.

D

DanDar

The players and coaches need to figure out what to change. Whatever they have tried has been inadequate.

I disagree. Coaches have come up with a good game plan that would have worked out if they just made their free throws or eliminated bad fouls like moving screens 90 feet away from the basket.

I think UConn beats them at Big East tournament. Hopefully Bria's shot is back by then.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc