How big a loss was Polley? | The Boneyard

How big a loss was Polley?

Reaction Score
We weren't exactly winning with him but we look like a completely different team in terms of competitiveness since he went down. The main things lacking are outside shooting and execution in the last 4 minutes of games. I don't know the impact on wins and losses but he was clearly our best outside shooter...

This undermanned flawed group does seem to have galvanized into a pretty tight unit despite the record. If you just look at wins and losses it's another disappointing season but I think Hurley is doing a pretty good job and I think we're pretty close. The way we close out this recruiting class is really important.

Reaction Score
Possible gift and curse?! His very unfortunate injury has allowed Bouk to grow up fast and become that much needed go to scorer that we’ve been so desperately looking for. Hopefully tonight was the hump we’ve been trying to get over.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Being down 2/3 men the past few games has required Hurley to get creative with his lineups, and I think he is learning a lot from this as a coach. The lineups have been far from traditional but they seem to work!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Hurt us offensively, helped us slightly defensively and big time on the glass. I think it’s a wash, maybe we have 1 more win with him but this year was never going to be our year, getting the younger guys minutes helps.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure, but I will say this:

1. We've had a lot of near losses against solid teams (fringe top 25).
2. We've shot terrible.
3. We've been inconsistent. See Bouk early on, see Bouk after that, see Bouk tonight.
4. We've choked late. Not having a clear go-to. Bouk struggled and CV and AG weren't making shots and hence forcing things.
5. Its hard with a JR/SR non superstar dynamic melding with potential freshmen future stars that aren't ready.

I think Polley would've been a wash based on almost every game he's played in. Except for his last game where he was possessed. That Polley would've put us over the edge most games. But that wasn't really Polley. His shooting was subpar this season.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
We weren't exactly winning with him but we look like a completely different team in terms of competitiveness since he went down. The main things lacking are outside shooting and execution in the last 4 minutes of games. I don't know the impact on wins and losses but he was clearly our best outside shooter...

This undermanned flawed group does seem to have galvanized into a pretty tight unit despite the record. If you just look at wins and losses it's another disappointing season but I think Hurley is doing a pretty good job and I think we're pretty close. The way we close out this recruiting class is really important.
Despite the fact he was really good at hitting threes. He had a lot of games where he really didn't show up. I think the upsetting thing was that he went down after a big game against Tulane where he went for 19 and 11. REALLY looked like he had turned the corner at that point. Was really aggressively rebounding in that game and looked to have a lot of confidence not previously seen. Hoping he gets better soon, was really looking forward to that upside and think he's gonna come back better than ever.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure, but I will say this:

1. We've had a lot of near losses against solid teams (fringe top 25).
2. We've shot terrible.
3. We've been inconsistent. See Bouk early on, see Bouk after that, see Bouk tonight.
4. We've choked late. Not having a clear go-to. Bouk struggled and CV and AG weren't making shots and hence forcing things.
5. Its hard with a JR/SR non superstar dynamic melding with potential freshmen future stars that aren't ready.

I think Polley would've been a wash based on almost every game he's played in. Except for his last game where he was possessed. That Polley would've put us over the edge most games. But that wasn't really Polley. His shooting was subpar this season.
Last game Polley would always be welcome.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mixed. He looked great in last game but it's been a spotty season for him. Probably more important to get the get the kids minutes. It seems to be paying dividends.

Reaction Score
Polley is a tough piece to fit in offensively. He's a very good stand and shoot guy and a solid free throw shooter, but that's it.

He's not good at creating his own shot, for a 6-9 frame he's not a great rebounder, he's not good at penetrating, and he's an average mid-range shooter. Those four components he's not good at lead to some very bad possessions.

When his outside shot is going in, he's a good contributor. When it's not, he has little else to lean on and is a detriment offensively. The problem is, without other outside shooters, Hurley is forced to give him starter-level minutes which means we have to put up with the bad to hopefully get the good.

Reaction Score
Huge loss. There are gonna be nights when certain players have bad games. You want as many guys with skill to throw out there as possible.

Reaction Score
Polley is far and away our best shooter and one of the only true wings on the team. It was a big loss. He was a guy other teams had to game-plan for. Even when his shot isn’t falling, he is someone that other teams have to defend and pay attention to.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Polley is fat and away our best shooter and one of the only true wings on the team. It was a big loss. He was a guy other teams had to game-plan for. Even when his shot isn’t falling, he is someone that other teams have to defend and pay attention to.
Polley is fat? Jesus what does that make me?

Reaction Score
No true floor spacer left on the roster. And depending on the source he’s either 2nd or 3rd on the team in +/- so they definitely miss him. He doesn’t necessarily have a huge impact on every game but when he’s on, it is a night and day difference for our offense.

Reaction Score
I'm not that convinced the Polley loss was so huge. Sure its big, but his breakout game was the last game he played this season, and before then his production was marginal. Rebounding, consistency, attacking the basket, playing aggressively, etc... were lacking until his last game.

Its unknown if that game was an anomaly, but its evident he showed his potential, raising expectations. Too bad we won't really know how big it is, but its certainly a hit on our 3 point shooting.

I suspect he'll come in next year like a lion, now knowing what he can do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think we'd be too concerned if Sid didn't get hurt too. Sid was taking over for Polley just fine and I think his confidence would have led to more threes from him. I also like the excitement and energy Sid brings.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Polley was always more of a 3 than a four, but at 6'9" had to "grow into" the three spot, working on lateral movement and ball handling. Those things started to come together, and being slim he could rebound better against other threes than against other 4's and 5's. He's missed, but if they shoot 3's like last night the rest of the season he won't be missed as much.

Reaction Score
He's missed, but if they shoot 3's like last night the rest of the season he won't be missed as much.
O.K., be honest. What's the probability of that happening? Last night was an outlier in a much bigger sample size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom