How are the RBs coming along? | The Boneyard

How are the RBs coming along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's always a few guys on the board that know a tad more than us that might have some info on current players. It'd be interesting to find out how guys like Marriner and Clax are coming along. With McCombs gone, and I know everybody's touting incoming frosh Newsome, who ran a gazillion yards in HS, Marriner and Clax have a jump on him in terms of their time on campus, getting acclamated to the new system.

Marriner, to me, seems like a guy that can really help us... At this point, I envision him to be a part of that 1-2 punch with DeLorenzo.

Clax would be that short yardage guy, late game thumper type.

Reaction Score
Account I heard is that Marriner is the real deal. He has speed and power and is in the mold of a Todman type of back. I don't know if it is true, but if it is, I will be thrilled.

Reaction Score
Account I heard is that Marriner is the real deal. He has speed and power and is in the mold of a Todman type of back. I don't know if it is true, but if it is, I will be thrilled.

That's what I was hoping to hear about this kid... He killed it in HS as well... No disrespect to HS football in CT but I think VA is step up from ours... He's who my I is on this upcoming season... I hope he gives that 'Terry Cauley' type effect. Burst on the season and dominate from day one... If he's able to give us that, there's no doubt we go bowling... my opinion...

Reaction Score
That's what I was hoping to hear about this kid... He killed it in HS as well... No disrespect to HS football in CT but I think VA is step up from ours... He's who my I is on this upcoming season... I hope he gives that 'Terry Cauley' type effect. Burst on the season and dominate from day one... If he's able to give us that, there's no doubt we go bowling... my opinion...

Much more critical to our bowl chances are how the big boys up front create holes for guys to run through.

Reaction Score
We absolutely need to get something out of the offensive line or any back will look bad. But if you have a guy who can hit holes quickly and knows what to do once he get there it does take some pressure off the line since he doesn't require as much room. On the other hand if the d ends up in the backfield before the ball, as seemed to happen a lot last year, no back can help you out.

Reaction Score
Last August in a post after their last open practice I relayed how I had a nice sideline chat with Josh Marriner's Dad. He told me how Josh was a 100 meter champ in VA HS. Impressive for someone who is built like a tank. His dad also said that he turned down the Naval Academy among others to go to UCONN. Obviously another upstanding kid who I hope makes a lot of big impressions on opposing db's this coming season. Go HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Only concern I have of the new guys is being able to hold on to the rock. Delorenzo and Clax have already been whacked by d-1 sized talent. New guys coming in haven't seen that speed or tasted those kinds of hits yet. Is Clax a good enough blocker to be a fullback? Does he really have the size for that position? Eh...who knows...the way the new conditioning team is going we won't know what kind of monster any of these guys turn into by end of August.

Reaction Score
Only concern I have of the new guys is being able to hold on to the rock. Delorenzo and Clax have already been whacked by d-1 sized talent. New guys coming in haven't seen that speed or tasted those kinds of hits yet. Is Clax a good enough blocker to be a fullback? Does he really have the size for that position? Eh...who knows...the way the new conditioning team is going we won't know what kind of monster any of these guys turn into by end of August.

Gotta have some sorta belief in what you got bro...

Reaction Score
Gotta have some sorta belief in what you got bro...
Hey man I got my fingers crossed. Hoping at least 1 of the new guys can step in for McCombs. Figuring the kid from Suffield Academy will redshirt. Just want to see a couple of horses grab 3 or 4 when you need 1 or 2. And.... every once in a while somebody break one loose to get the Rent jumping.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Really:

"Only concern I have of the new guys is being able to hold on to the rock."

Not that fumbling is good, but if that is more of a concern than ability to see/hit hole, pass block, catch passes, YAC to name a few - then think we're in for a very good run.

As far as holding onto the rock, more concerned about 18 interceptions coming down more than 7 fumbles lost coming down.

Reaction Score
You didn't have to look too closely at the Spring game to see that Josh is ready. We already know what Max brings which is actually alot over the course of a game. We get an O-line that wears down the D-line as the game goes on and those two alone are a handful. Throw in Foxx at slot and maybe a fullback (Claxx and Walsh)and we are doing well before Newsome gets the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom