How are the other Big East schools doing? | The Boneyard

How are the other Big East schools doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida and Rutgers are all doing very well. Houston, Boise and San Diego State also seem to be putting together strong classes, and Boise and Houston should end up Top 50. Houston is outside right now, but look at the "other offers" from most of their recruits. As bad as their season is going, they are beating out Big 12 schools for talent.

The same thing happened in 2003 when the Big East was raided. The new schools scored great classes because they were able to finally offer recruits big conference access and exposure. UConn's February 2004 class may be the best recruiting class in the program's history, and Louisville, Cincinnati and USF 2004 classes would all eventually achieve a Top 10 ranking. Houston, Boise, and SDSU seem to have stepped up, and even Temple's class looks decent. SMU is hard to tell because Jones always recruits a little differently. Memphis has a top QB that has multiple major college offers.

UConn seems to be doing OK, but it still feels like a lot of Edsall-esque recruits. Players who maybe have 1 other BCS offer from a BCU or someone like that, or none at all. I was OK with that from Edsall, because he had such a good track record with "under the radar" recruits. I am expecting to win more head to head battles with Pasqualoni.

pj

Reaction Score
This class, we've done very well at QB/WR/TE. Bodes well for the passing offense. Defense, RB, OL -- still work to be done, but as of yet not quite where we'd like them to be in terms of ratings. It seems on defense they put a lot of emphasis on seeing people at camp, so we have a lot of under-the-radar types. We'll see how this plays out in years to come. I think the RB/OL recruiting has just been a bit disappointing so far, but one RB and one or two OL would turn that around.

Reaction Score
I see this class very similar to the ones Edsall brought in. I know that upsets some people, but that's just the way I see it.

Difference is, I think Edsall was a lot better at working with, developing, and maximizing the talent he had. I think with P, we could be in some trouble here.

Reaction Score
I see this class very similar to the ones Edsall brought in. I know that upsets some people, but that's just the way I see it.

Difference is, I think Edsall was a lot better at working with, developing, and maximizing the talent he had. I think with P, we could be in some trouble here.

FWIW, we haven't seen what P can do with regards to individual talent development of his own recruits. With the exception of Campenni and Whitmer, everyone who gets significant playing time is an Edsall guy.

Reaction Score
P won a ton of his games with McNabb handing the ball off to Rhodes and throwing it to Marvin Harrison. When talent pool at SU wasn't at that level, he struggled mightily. It eventually got him canned.

Reaction Score
P won a ton of his games with McNabb handing the ball off to Rhodes and throwing it to Marvin Harrison. When talent pool at SU wasn't at that level, he struggled mightily. It eventually got him canned.

He went 67-31 there in the 90's. He was clearly doing something right. I know he's been disappointing here, but the guy was a damn good coach at Syracuse, especially when you think about what they've done in the 8 years since he was fired.

pj

Reaction Score
The line between winning and losing can be thin. A little better against NC State and if we don't lose Joseph we're probably 5-1 now.

I had great faith in P based on his career record, but I'm starting to doubt him. He may be a .500 coach who happened to get into a good situation with Syracuse where apart from Penn State there wasn't much competition for northeastern recruits, and Macpherson before him had built up Syracuse's reputation. When the recruiting competition heated up, he started to struggle at Syracuse.

I don't know, I still want to believe in him, but if he doesn't get to a bowl this year and then sticks with GDL, my faith in him will be gone.

Reaction Score

I am very, very afraid of this going forward. I did not think P would be nearly as good as Edsall would be out of getting wins from unrecruited players. I hoped that P would make up for that by winning far more recruiting battles. While I think there has been some improvement in this regard, I fear that the improvement is marginal, and not enough to make up for how good Edsall was at both developing players over five years and finding future pros that no one else recruited.

Reaction Score
We'll know in 2015, but at the risk of bringing in a few facts - we have 15 kids in already (ahead of prior years' pace), most of whom are 3 stars (which we seem to count only when they work in our favor) and we are ranked in the 50s on a composite basis (and that doesn't even include fact they have yet to give us credit for Holines). Until Dan had his melt down, he'd brag about how we were using JUCOs and hitting on right kids for better program.

And then we the bed in NJ and now the program sucks, the school sucks, the players suck, the coaches suck, the AD sucks, the media sucks, the recurits suck ................

pj

Reaction Score
We'll know in 2015, but at the risk of bringing in a few facts - we have 15 kids in already (ahead of prior years' pace), most of whom are 3 stars (which we seem to count only when they work in our favor) and we are ranked in the 50s on a composite basis (and that doesn't even include fact they have yet to give us credit for Holines). Until Dan had his melt down, he'd brag about how we were using JUCOs and hitting on right kids for better program.

And then we the bed in NJ and now the program sucks, the school sucks, the players suck, the coaches suck, the AD sucks, the media sucks, the recurits suck ................

Who said the recruiting sucks? The recruiting and the defense have been bright spots. But will the recruiting continue to be competitive if we can't field an effective offense and don't make bowls?

Reaction Score

The head coach and OC do suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr