How Accurate Can The RPI Really Be??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How Accurate Can The RPI Really Be???

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think any SOS or RPI system that does not have a sliding scale for competition in WCBB is not going to be terribly good. The top ten teams any year should never lose to a team ranked 50 or higher so to award a better 'score' for beating team 51 (by any margin) than beating team #251 (by any margin) is just silly. And I would refine it even more - for a top ten team to lose to a team ranked 35 - 50 is terrible whether the ranking of tat team is 36 or 49. And to lose to a team ranked 25 - 34 is pretty bad whether the team is ranked 26 or 34.
AND for a team ranked 40th to have a win over a team ranked #15 or better is great whether that team is #14 or #3, and to beat a team ranked 16 - 25 is very good whether they are #16 or 24.
So ... pooling those teams ranked far above or below a teams ranking should happen while keeping specific values for the teams within say 20+/- ranking spots. I believe Massey is doing something like this with their rankings though I am not sure. But the idea that if Uconn scheduled teams ranked from 75 - 100 in place of the teams that they have played ranked above 125 would actually improve their 'Strength of Schedule' by a significant amount is ludicrous - against any of those teams Uconn can pretty much chose whatever their point spread will be. But that is what the linear SOS does - play the #2 team in the country and the #198 team in the country and it is the same as playing the #99 and #101 team in the country. For the team ranked #100 you might be able to argue that the expectation is the same but the reality is they have a fair chance of winning or losing both games in scenario 2 and an almost 100% chance of ending at 1-1 in scenario 1, for the team ranked #1 there is an almost 100% chance of 2-0 in scenario 2, and a fair chance of 1-1 in scenario 1.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Massey does use a system that has relative comparisons so that a top team playing a top team gets more weight in the team's score than when they play bottom teams, and likewise a bottom team's score is more weighted toward how it does against bottom teams and does not get a big boost for losing by 60 to a top team.

Sagarin uses much more linear rating factors, but it has a couple of different scales and two of them use MOV in some way (the formula is a secret), and the composite score is pretty accurate for predicting game margins.

RPI can give you maybe a 50% chance of predicting which of two monkeys will be the first to hit the dart board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom