How about Three Big Cheers for the Refs last night. | The Boneyard

How about Three Big Cheers for the Refs last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
They let the kids play. There was a lot of competition for preferred real estate in the paint; and
very aggressive defense all over the court.

The refs mostly kept their whistles in their pockets. They called very few "ticky-tack" fouls.

The game looked more like European/international basketball than NCAA.

If the refs had been more whistle happy, the game would have been a travesty -- with many players in foul trouble or sitting on the sidelines.

We complain often about the reffing. Last night they earned some high marks.

Reaction Score
Hip hip hooray, Hip hip hooray, Hip hip hooray.
Good post.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Yes. No whistle happy refs last night. I think they enjoyed the game as much as everyone else did.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
+++1

Listening on the radio it was wonderful not to have a steady parade of stoppages.

Officials: Wesley Dean, Felicia Grinter, Mark Zentz

Reaction Score
Thank you for bringing this up and I agree completely............It was a pleasure to watch and I am surprised that neither coach brought up the refs.......

Reaction Score
Of course you guys were happy. Nneka sat on a ticky tack 2nd foul and you were in the bonus early both halves. They missed the call on Toni being out of bounds before the half. They left a lot contact go. I'd give them a B-.

Edited- sorry typing on iPhone

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Of course you guys were happy. Nneka sat on a tricky tack 2nd foulnand you were in the house early both halves. The missed the call on Toni being out of bounds before the half. They left a lot contact go. I'd give them a B-.

I have to agree. My score would be a C+ at best.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
They let the kids play. There was a lot of competition for preferred real estate in the paint; and

The refs mostly kept their whistles in their pockets. They called very few "ticky-tack" fouls.

If the refs had been more whistle happy, the game would have been a travesty -- with many players in foul trouble or sitting on the sidelines.

Good call Coach!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Of course you guys were happy. Nneka sat on a tricky tack 2nd foulnand you were in the house early both halves. The missed the call on Toni being out of bounds before the half. They left a lot contact go. I'd give them a B-.
Care for some Bria...I mean brie with your whine? ;)

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Well, that explains the poor shooting last night - the kids were so unnerved by the absence of whistles that they blew their shots!

Reaction Score
Our kids played some great aggressive defense last night, but as I
was watching it I couldn't help thinking that some of those blocks
and double teams might have resulted in whistles if the game had
been played at Stanford - if only because of the home cooking effect.

It helps to play at home.

Reaction Score
i,too, love the officiating when uconn gets to shoot twice as many foul shots as the opponent.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Of course you guys were happy. Nneka sat on a ticky tack 2nd foul and you were in the bonus early both halves. They missed the call on Toni being out of bounds before the half. They left a lot contact go. I'd give them a B-.

I think they did a make up call on the other end a little bit later.

I'll agree that a game without incessant tweeting is more enjoyable and I'll give extra kudos to the refs for making sure that they neutralized Nn O. Had she played the 30-35 I think UConn still wins but the margin would be a lot less.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Home cooking" is an unfortunate fact of basketball life. It's one of the reasons why winning on the road always is a difficult challenge. Ask Tennessee.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I hate it when fans blame a loss on the officiating. It is extremely unbecoming and it reeks of sour grapes. Truth is there were missed calls on both sides of the ball. There were times when Stanford players were draped all over Stefanie and she looked at the referee as if to say "what you didn't see that"...and the ref just gave her a blank stare... There were times when a call was made on Stanford and the people around me were saying "It's about time."

It is for that reason...I believe it is always better just to say congratulations and move on...the sour grapes blame the officials approach is always classless in my opinion.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The bigs on both teams had smaller players fouling them. The refs let the game play out like they do in men's BE basketball. The advantage was UConn's because Stanford had more big players in the game. I preferred it because the game was slow enough on the offensive end it would have been a nightmare if the refs became the game.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts that seem to run contrary to the flow here:
- I like a wide open game as much as anybody but I thought the refs were too selectively loose. We were very fortunate that somebody wasn't hurt. From my point (LL visitor's corner) there were uncalled fouls on both sides, but the preponderance of heavy-duty fouls (trips, elbows, illegal screens) that went unheeded and which led to UConn players hitting the floor hard were on Stanford. I don't believe we had a home-court advantage viz-a-viz the officials.
- The poor shooting percentage on our side was not due to Stanford defense... we had many open shots and it seemed that nobody except Kaleena and Bria could hit anything. On the other hand Stanford's poor percentage was due to an incredible UConn defense. They were smothered and had few open looks. I was amazed at the strength the girls showed; they kept it on although they were bone tired until the final buzzer. Geno said they hit us hard and we came back at them. I like UConn's chances to go for the NC.

btw: It was a real boost when the overhead flashed pictures of the honored guests..the crowd erupted when they saw Maya's face and again when she blew a kiss.

Reaction Score

Um, sorry to say but I was sitting second row from the court behind the basket and your Sarah Boothe should of fouled out in the first half. But the refs let them play. Tara even mentioned it being physical.

Reaction Score
I didnt think the refs were that good. I thought the only good one was the female official.

Reaction Score
Well, that explains the poor shooting last night - the kids were so unnerved by the absence of whistles that they blew their shots!.
What explained the UCONN free throw shooting? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul