How about over achievers? Or is that too Pollyannaish? :) | The Boneyard

How about over achievers? Or is that too Pollyannaish? :)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Dove, nothing can replace the dream season

The entire dream season team

The entire 2010 freshmen class

The entire 2023 national champions, especially the transfers

Painting with a broad brush I know, but that's a whole lot easier

Ray Ray, a first ballot HOF for heaven's sake

Reaction Score
Kevin Freeman was and is one of my favorite all time Huskies. He did all of the things winning teams need. He improved as a player and left it all out on the court. Every winning team needs a 3 or 4 year guy like KF.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kevin Freeman was and is one of my favorite all time Huskies. He did all of the things winning teams need. He improved as a player and left it all out on the court. Every winning team needs a 3 or 4 year guy like KF.
KFree was the garbage man. He scored a ton of points doing the hard work of getting position, boxing out and bodying up for the put back.

Reaction Score
KFree was the garbage man. He scored a ton of points doing the hard work of getting position, boxing out and bodying up for the put back.
During his senior year he worked hard to become a decently respectable three point shooter after Rip left. The team needed an outside threat. Even though it had not been a part of his game at all he worked on it and helped the team. I also remember how he had his teammates’ back. Including scrapping with Ron Artest.

Reaction Score
During his senior year he worked hard to become a decently respectable three point shooter after Rip left. The team needed an outside threat. Even though it had not been a part of his game at all he worked on it and helped the team. I also remember how he had his teammates’ back. Including scrapping with Ron Artest.
That's not really how it went at all. Calhoun let Freeman play small forward his senior year so he could try and showcase his game for the NBA, it was a mistake. He was bad at it and it hurt the team.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
That's not really how it went at all. Calhoun let Freeman play small forward his senior year so he could try and showcase his game for the NBA, it was a mistake. He was bad at it and it hurt the team.
So what positions were Saunders and Voskuhl going to play? Didn’t Freeman HAVE to play small forward?

Reaction Score
So what positions were Saunders and Voskuhl going to play? Didn’t Freeman HAVE to play small forward?
He didn't even have Saunders starting earlier in the year if I remember correctly, he had Ajou Deng starting.

He should've gone smaller with that team and had El-Amin, Robertson, Mouring, Freeman, and Voskuhl in there instead of the two power forwards.

Reaction Score
He didn't even have Saunders starting earlier in the year if I remember correctly, he had Ajou Deng starting.

He should've gone smaller with that team and had El-Amin, Robertson, Mouring, Freeman, and Voskuhl in there instead of the two power forwards.
I think Calhoun knew best and played the lineup that had the best chance of success. Deng wasn’t ready for prime time. That’s why he ended up transferring to Fairfield. Mouring was a really nice role player but sometimes guys are able to fill that role while not 100% able to fill an alpha role of being a top 2-3 scoring option.

Reaction Score
I think Calhoun knew best and played the lineup that had the best chance of success. Deng wasn’t ready for prime time. That’s why he ended up transferring to Fairfield. Mouring was a really nice role player but sometimes guys are able to fill that role while not 100% able to fill an alpha role of being a top 2-3 scoring option.
What? Mouring was a much better scorer than Freeman and Mouring was UConn's second scoring option.

It's pretty well known it was a mistake letting Freeman play small forward.

Reaction Score

Mouring I think was worthy of a lot of minutes at the 2 that year. Robertson probably wasn’t ready for big minutes at that stage of his career. Mouring had better numbers than I thought. He was an underrated player and a very nice player.

Reaction Score
Hilton Armstrong, I never saw the NBA in him even in the pros.
Definitely. If Andrew Bynum doesn't change his mind and sticks with his decision to go to UConn I wonder what would have happened to Hilton.

Interesting anecdote: my wife is from Santa Cruz California so we go there a lot to visit her parents. On the way to the wharf, we see a tall guy walking with his girlfriend from the wharf that walked by us-it was Hilton. I recognized it to late. I would have said "hello"

Reaction Score
Actually, THE GUY who fits in this space more than anyone is none other than Shabazz Napier.

Yes, he was a 4-star, but not regarded as a "Can't Miss" prospect (after reclassifying to 2010 from 2011 he ended as Rivals' 98th ranked recruit that year, significantly lower than both Roscoe Smith and Jeremy Lamb).

No one... NO ONE could have predicted how much success he would have as a Husky. He is now a legend, and belongs on any "Mt. Rushmore" of UConn all-time greats. He has two National Championship rings, playing an important role on the 2011 team and then winning MOP of the 2014 tournament, and deservedly so. Shabazz Napier represents everything we all love about this program... passion, grit, determination and stepping up to the occasion when needed.

Shabazz is the biggest single over-achiever our program has ever had... and that is saying something with our history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom