BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not so good lately...

IMG_1505.JPG

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This game will be nothing more than an organized scrimmage. A chance for the Huskies to work on some things against someone other than practice players. Also an opportunity to give the reserves some extended minutes, as this one will be over by halftime.

I attended the Houston/UNLV game in Las Vegas in November. The Cougars lost, but I thought they looked better than last year. They stayed with the Running Rebels until midway through the forth quarter. They've still got a long way to go before becoming a serious contender in the AAC.

The envelope sez: UConn 93 - Houston 46

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This game will be nothing more than an organized scrimmage. A chance for the Huskies to work on some things against someone other than practice players. Also an opportunity to give the reserves some extended minutes, as this one will be over by halftime.

I attended the Houston/UNLV game in Las Vegas in November. The Cougars lost, but I thought they looked better than last year. They stayed with the Running Rebels until midway through the forth quarter. They've still got a long way to go before becoming a serious contender in the AAC.

The envelope sez: UConn 93 - Houston 46
In some ways, this is a difficult time of the season for Geno and the Huskies. This team appears even more dominant than last year's team, at least as far as the AAC is concerned. Geno has to keep them focused on the ultimate prize through a series of 40+ pt blowouts. He is trying some things out, pressing, trapping. In yesterday's game vs E. Carolina, the Huskies played a 3-2 zone for awhile with the 1st 5 during the 1st half. So far this season the Huskies have typically used a 2-3 zone and only when Nat was in or they had players in foul trouble. All part of getting ready for what lies ahead in March.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What am I missing- why did this thread get started? Is it because they will be an opponent or they are so bad we have to highlight it?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What am I missing- why did this thread get started? Is it because they will be an opponent or they are so bad we have to highlight it?
Can't speak for BigBird, but I assume it's because the Cougars are the next opponent on the schedule this coming Saturday

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok but the thread was started before we played ECU and usually it's prefaced Game Thread or something of the like. I thought I was late to the party...thank you for helping.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ok but the thread was started before we played ECU and usually it's prefaced Game Thread or something of the like. I thought I was late to the party...thank you for helping.
I agree it was a bit early, but the post was a full 1.5 hrs after the end of the ECU game. However, it was prior to all of the BY'ers providing their input on the nightly BADASS awards. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty much all the AAC games this year have gone that way.

Carnac

Reaction Score
In some ways, this is a difficult time of the season for Geno and the Huskies. This team appears even more dominant than last year's team, at least as far as the AAC is concerned. Geno has to keep them focused on the ultimate prize through a series of 40+ pt blowouts. He is trying some things out, pressing, trapping. In yesterday's game vs E. Carolina, the Huskies played a 3-2 zone for awhile with the 1st 5 during the 1st half. So far this season the Huskies have typically used a 2-3 zone and only when Nat was in or they had players in foul trouble. All part of getting ready for what lies ahead in March.

Exactly!!!! :cool:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Can't speak for BigBird, but I assume it's because the Cougars are the next opponent on the schedule this coming Saturday

Bingo!

Reaction Score
Actually, Louisville's "Doctors of Dunk" came before Phi Slama Jama in 1980. Darrell Griffith, "Dr. Dunkenstein", was the most famous of the group.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually, Louisville's "Doctors of Dunk" came before Phi Slama Jama in 1980. Darrell Griffith, "Dr. Dunkenstein", was the most famous of the group.
The 2 teams played each other in a memorable 1983 national semifinal full of incredible dunks. Houston eventually prevailed in what most experts felt was the de facto national championship, before Jim Valvano & NC State pulled off the memorable upset in the actual championship.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Still good enough to beat Rutgers...
Yes - but Rutgers is bad this season - better now than then, I think if some of the weak OOC opponents were being faced at this time, RU might steal a couple more wins. Still not great - but a 2 point loss to Houston would be a possible win with the team somewhat improved.

By the way, as you may know, the Houston HC was an assistant at Rutgers for one year. Lets just say he was well traveled before ending up at Houston, getting experience under a number of different head coaches and a number of different styles. He wasn't my favorite assistant at Rutgers, he seemed to be very PR oriented. Also his departure was quite abrupt.

Carnac

Reaction Score

OK, all you old timers, Griffith had incredible hops. But like Yoda said "there is another". His nickname was "Skywalker" (not Luke) because of his incredible vertical leap. Who was he? :rolleyes:

[click here for video]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes - but Rutgers is bad this season - better now than then, I think if some of the weak OOC opponents were being faced at this time, RU might steal a couple more wins. Still not great - but a 2 point loss to Houston would be a possible win with the team somewhat improved.

By the way, as you may know, the Houston HC was an assistant at Rutgers for one year. Lets just say he was well traveled before ending up at Houston, getting experience under a number of different head coaches and a number of different styles. He wasn't my favorite assistant at Rutgers, he seemed to be very PR oriented. Also his departure was quite abrupt.
Yeah, I was just being mean. Sorry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom