House of Lies | The Boneyard

House of Lies

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This show is really, really good, and a good satire of the consulting industry. Cheadle is awesome, as are his dad and son. Kristen Bell is meh, but the the Doug and Clyde characters are hilarious. My favorite character is Cheadle's bats*** crazy ex-wife Monica. Every scene with her is awesome. I almost think they should make her the star of the show.

Strongly recommend.

Reaction Score
her character is great but I think any more of her than we already have would get annoying and stale quickly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree that Monica's personal life is only good in small doses, but at the beginning of this season, when Clyde was working for her and they were showing her in the office, she was awesome. I like the show when it focuses on the work stuff more anyway, and she is such a ferocious B in that setting that it is a lot of fun to watch. As an aside, I have been around women like her in the finance world, which may be why I like the character so much.

When this show first went on the air, I didn't think they would be able to pull it off because the subject matter was too esoteric for 95% of the viewers, but the writers have done a great job keeping it smart while making it understandable. They use a lot of jargon that I don't know, and I know the consulting industry relatively well, so I imagine that it can be hard to follow at times for a lot of viewers.

The clients are hilarious, and I am sure that the writers based those clients on real experiences of consultants that the writers met in their research. The main firm is based on Booz Allen, and Monica's firm is McKinsey (I think they call it "Kinsley" in the show).

Reaction Score
This show is all kinds of horrible and I got out during season 2.

I really, really, really like Episodes though, no half hour currently on the air makes me laugh out loud as often, though I do watch a lot of British stuff and love insider-y Hollywood stuff so the content really does appeal to me.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That show is over the top but as someone who did that for about twenty months (I resigned in late October 1999 when all I needed to do was remain until the early January 2000 annual meeting and I would have received a near six figure retention bonus and a six figure performance bonus) the show clearly demonstrates how sleezy and immoral that industry can be. The guy who originated the show (who did work for years in the industry) made the analogy that your job is to convince the client to give you his watch and then charge him daily to tell him what time it is. That sums it up perfectly.

It could be such a great field if you were allowed to teach them how to do things better (which is what the sales pitch always offers) but the focus is to keep them fully dependent on you. It's impossible for anyone with a conscience to walk away from an assignment without feeling at least a little bit dirty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom