House of Cards, Season 5 | The Boneyard

House of Cards, Season 5

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
4 episodes into Season 5, and I am running out of gas. The show feels like it has lost its fastball. My issues with this season:

1) Antagonist is not credible. Does anyone think pretty boy and the English chick will actually win? Anyone?

2) Hacking is the new magic in storytelling. Need to turn the tables quickly in a storyline? Just have someone hack for one side, and voila, the entire plot has changed. I feel the same about hacking as I do about magic in fantasy and time travel in science fiction. It should be used very carefully in telling the story, because using it runs the risk of making everything else in the story irrelevant.

3) Neve Campbell's character is the only sidekick that is credible in their role. Doug and the Seth would not be credible as Chief of Staff and Press Secretary in VEEP, much less a show that wants to be Emmy-bait like House of Cards.

4) The twists have all gotten too ridiculous. This started about 2 seasons ago, but it is really off the rails now.

Reaction Score
I'm with you. Got through them all just to see how it ended -- thought it became too predictable and a bit outrageous. Read that the last episode was designed as a series finale or to continue for another season. Hoping it's done. It was good while it lasted

Reaction Score
The show is a tacky soap opera that somehow thinks it is prestige t.v. I made it through 5 episodes this season before bailing. I was intrigued enough to skim through the wiki to see how everything unfolded. I don't think this is much of a spoiler - if you think the show is ridiculous so far, hold on to your seats.

Reaction Score
Yeah, season 5 was a flop for me. Will watch new episodes if they make them, but definitely not a binge-worthy show anymore.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You guys are way ahead of me. Just started watching 3 weeks ago. I figured it had to go downhill - and even only halfway through there's been some ridiculous twists and turns.

However, I just finished episode 6 from the 3rd season - the episode in Russia where Corrigan hangs himself. That might be the best episode of any show I've ever watched. Wow.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just finished S5. Agree that the series peaked about mid season S3.

While Scott & Clarkson were decent additions to the cast and play intriguing characters, IMO, the best episodes the past 3 seasons have been the ones with Petrov.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
4 episodes into Season 5, and I am running out of gas. The show feels like it has lost its fastball. My issues with this season:

1) Antagonist is not credible. Does anyone think pretty boy and the English chick will actually win? Anyone?

2) Hacking is the new magic in storytelling. Need to turn the tables quickly in a storyline? Just have someone hack for one side, and voila, the entire plot has changed. I feel the same about hacking as I do about magic in fantasy and time travel in science fiction. It should be used very carefully in telling the story, because using it runs the risk of making everything else in the story irrelevant.

3) Neve Campbell's character is the only sidekick that is credible in their role. Doug and the Seth would not be credible as Chief of Staff and Press Secretary in VEEP, much less a show that wants to be Emmy-bait like House of Cards.

4) The twists have all gotten too ridiculous. This started about 2 seasons ago, but it is really off the rails now.
I've finally got back to finishing off the final two seasons. The life imitating art of the Underwoods basically stealing the election seems too much of a coincidence.

Could it be that, lost in the distraction of (probably rightful) #metoo'ing Kevin Spacey, someone suggested to the powers-that-were that it could happen in real life? ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom