House Money | The Boneyard

House Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
2 wins under their belt. Huge verbal from Rose this week.

UConn rolls into Missouri playing with house money - and winning the game isn't out of the question.

Hopefully, Bob and Co are aggressive in this spot. The offensive line isn't anywhere near ready to go try and grind out drives on the ground. If they try and run the ball between the tackles on first and second down they are just going end up looking at 3rd and long all day.

It's a high reward game - it's going to take a higher risk approach to win it. Can't be afraid of a turnover, can't be afraid of not grinding down the clock on every down. Can't be punting on 4th and short.

Let it all hang out - losing by 21 isn't any different than losing by 10. It's house money - play like it.

Reaction Score
It's a high reward game - it's going to take a higher risk approach to win it. Can't be afraid of a turnover, can't be afraid of not grinding down the clock on every down. Can't be punting on 4th and short.

While I agree that this approach might give us the best chance of leaving Misery with a win, I don't think Diaco will play it this way. I think he will want to continue building/laying the foundation for the future. As we saw last year, he won't sacrifice teaching discipline, ball control, field position, etc. for a possible extra win or two early in the "process".

But who knows, maybe Verducci will whisper in Diaco's ear ...

Reaction Score
While I agree that this approach might give us the best chance of leaving Misery with a win, I don't think Diaco will play it this way. I think he will want to continue building/laying the foundation for the future. As we saw last year, he won't sacrifice teaching discipline, ball control, field position, etc. for a possible extra win or two early in the "process".

don't agree Tiger- this is huge - a huge game, a win at all cost game.....
don't agree with your comment on laying the foundation above-an SEC win against a ranked opponent is the LAY
I think Diaco will play it any way possible and do ANYTHING, anything, freakin anything to win this game......

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Interesting question, I'm hoping Colt has it right but we'll see. I think HCBD's point last year was that if we can't run basic plays it doesn't make any sense to game plan... so far they seem to be past that this year. I guess we'll see tomorrow. Looking at Mizzou's offensive issues this very well could be a stealable game with a break or two and some special teams play. And while I think Whaler is right on our ability to grind out drives, the offensive at least needs to stay on the field enough to protect the defene.

Reaction Score
don't agree Tiger- this is huge - a huge game, a win at all cost game.....
don't agree with your comment on laying the foundation above-an SEC win against a ranked opponent is the LAY
I think Diaco will play it any way possible and do ANYTHING, anything, freakin anything to win this game.

Treating this as a must win is dangerous. I fear people adjusting their expectations upward, and then knocking the staff for failing to meet them.

As for how Diaco will play the game, I do hope that he will be willing to take some chances. I don't think he's going to change things very much.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Agree no radical changes but I'm sure Verducci has things he hasn't shown yet... moving the pocket with Sherriffs is probably going to be part of it...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You're talking about a coach that, essentially, gave up on the forward pass in a game. I doubt he all of a sudden switches to the air raid.

The good news is: Verducci has shown the desire/abilty to make necessary changes, in game. There have also been times of good play from most skill positions in the first 2 games. This isn't hoping for Chandler Whitmer to change into Drew Brees - this is continuation of improvement. The determining factor will be how far they've come along.

Reaction Score
Protecting our quarterback is an important goal. If he goes down with a season ending injury our season will end. I do think we will come out throwing short and midrange passes. Getting the ball in Newsome's, Thomas's and Beal's hands with some space will be important.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You're talking about a coach that, essentially, gave up on the forward pass in a game. I doubt he all of a sudden switches to the air raid.

Your observation is fair enough but I don't believe it reflects any philosophical preference. He may not be Don Coryell but he's not Woody Hayes either. He just concluded that with a line that couldn't block and a qb that couldn't move, trying to throw was going to get someone killed.

Reaction Score

I think it's been made clear to Bob that we need to win now. It's about more than laying a foundation, it's about gaining entry into a P4/5. In 5-10 years we won't be able to afford football and the stipends at current levels. It's unfortunate, but it's our reality.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
This game isn't anywhere near must win and unless they get a half dozen guys seriously hurt and lose 63-0 it's not really a big deal.
Exactly, it's the kind of lose-lose the P5 teams hate. All opportunity and little risk for UConn.

Reaction Score
AGain, all I'm looking for is the confidence that comes with preparing properly and going out and executing from the get go. I don't want to see a team that has the appearance of having themselves on the sideline. We do that, and I think we compete and have a good chance to put ourselves in position to win the game.

Reaction Score
This game isn't anywhere near must win and unless they get a half dozen guys seriously hurt and lose 63-0 it's not really a big deal.
That's kind of how I see it. It would be a terrific win for sure but it is so far from a must win. Edsall went into games like games like this trying to stay around and not get blown out. And seldom won. We aren't expected to win and really we would need to play at a really high level to pull of an upset. So it's the kind of game where you could take some chances. If they work who knows . If not you probably get blown out. I'd say go for it.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
they are going to trounce us by 50 points

we

are

doomed.
I love these friggin' posts, and laugh thinking of all the new game day kids are joining in and reading this...and thinking you're a dumb ass.

With that, I fully agree. WE ARE DOOMED.

Reaction Score
they are going to trounce us by 50 points

we

are

doomed.

Only 50? You are an obvious homer. We are going to be destroyed. Why did we ever schedule this game. Doomed indeed!

Reaction Score
Edsall went into games like games like this trying to stay around and not get blown out. And seldom won. We aren't expected to win and really we would need to play at a really high level to pull of an upset.

He seldom won road games in which we were 21 point underdogs? Sounds about right regardless of the approach.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's DOOOOOOOMMMMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get it right folks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's kind of how I see it. It would be a terrific win for sure but it is so far from a must win. Edsall went into games like games like this trying to stay around and not get blown out.

I'll never forget that BC road game. Best seats I ever had, 3rd row on the 50. FHCRE never tried to win that game. Best QB in UConn history and we barely attempted to pass downfield. That was pathetic.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'll never forget that BC road game. Best seats I ever had, 3rd row on the 50. FHCRE never tried to win that game. Best QB in UConn history and we barely attempted to pass downfield. That was pathetic.

Remember that too but my seats were much worse than yours (second deck behind one of the end zones along the UConn sideline). Did not help fumbling the opening kickoff and hitting the upright on a chip shot FG (might have been an EP??).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom