OT: Hot Tubs & Inground Pools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hot Tubs & Inground Pools

Reaction Score
I'm now in SC with a Hot Springs spa. The first one we got was warrantee exchanged because the fiberglass (acrylic?) shell started to bubble. The second one had a leak where the recirc pump needed to be replaced.

When we were in CT, we had a Hydropool spa bought through Galvin (I think). It held up really well and had a nice feature of filtering in through holes in the floor to keep it cleaner. They're out of Canada, so I have no idea about availability. At the time, it was a mid-priced option.

Thanks for the info. This doesn't leave me feeling good, as Hot Springs were supposed to be one of the reliable makers--as opposed to others.

Reaction Score
You could always fill it with dirt and turn it into a greenhouse. That might be a better selling point.

Reaction Score
Have you looked into solar heaters. Seems like it would be a good fit in Florida. The brand I have is Sunheater. Only a couple hundred bucks per 4' by 20' panel. The water picks up about 6-8 degrees across the panels. My pool contains about 42,000 gallons of water and I have 4 panels. After 5-6 days of sun, I get about an 8-10 degree rise in temp.
42k gals? What dimensions?

Reaction Score
The $4000+ cost of buying and installing the equipment is rough.
We bought the initial heater about 20 years ago. My mother-in-law passed away, and my father-in-law gave all the kids some cash. We used it for the whole family. It was around $2k then. I think we've started on heater #3... with a new filter (switch from DE to cartridge). All the plumbing and gas lines are done, so it's just a heater replacement now if needed. 100 gal propane tank is part of the deal for buying the propane for it. They give pool heaters a deal compared to using it as a fuel for your house. Good luck!

Reaction Score
This was my pool and hot tub in CT way back when. Sold the house in 2003. At that time I calculated based on maintenance and upkeep it cost me $50 every time I swam in it. (Not including the initial cost.)

Kids loved it though.
IMG_20190130_0001.jpg

Reaction Score
A few years ago we sold our house with a beautiful in ground pool and attached in ground hot tub. We later learned the new owners filled it in and sodded the backyard.

Reaction Score
We’re they difficult to install? My wife won’t use the pool below 88 in the winter so 10 degree bump is a help with the heater
Actually quite simple if you have a little mechanical skill (pvc pipe connections). It utilizes a three way valve off your filter outlet piping, so you can direct all or part of the total water flow through the solar panels. The water from the panels goes back into the line that goes back into the pool.

You can mount the panels on your roof or you can just mount them on a frame that rests on the ground. The number of panels you need is based on the gallons of water in your pool. I have 4 panels for my pool. You can buy these direct from Sunheater, Leslies, or just about any large scale pool supplier. They have all of the hardware you need to mount them. Mine are about 15 years old and look like new.

IMPORTANT - you must drain them completely in the winter if you live in a cold climate. Drain, then blow them out with air. I learned the hard way the first year I had them. I didn't blow them out and the little bit of water left in them froze over the winter. Since the tubes are just plastic, I had about a thousand leaks when I turned the water on. Vegas would have been jealous of the fountain I had.

Reaction Score
Actually quite simple if you have a little mechanical skill (pvc pipe connections). It utilizes a three way valve off your filter outlet piping, so you can direct all or part of the total water flow through the solar panels. The water from the panels goes back into the line that goes back into the pool.

You can mount the panels on your roof or you can just mount them on a frame that rests on the ground. The number of panels you need is based on the gallons of water in your pool. I have 4 panels for my pool. You can buy these direct from Sunheater, Leslies, or just about any large scale pool supplier. They have all of the hardware you need to mount them. Mine are about 15 years old and look like new.

IMPORTANT - you must drain them completely in the winter if you live in a cold climate. Drain, then blow them out with air. I learned the hard way the first year I had them. I didn't blow them out and the little bit of water left in them froze over the winter. Since the tubes are just plastic, I had about a thousand leaks when I turned the water on. Vegas would have been jealous of the fountain I had.
Thx...might look into it if I can figure out where to mount them to get enough sun..in FL now so need to worry about freezing....though my wife has modified laws of physics since we moved...as now below 50 is "freezing out" Lol

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Everyone I know who has or had a pool (including my parents for 20 years) says the same thing: if they had to do it again, they wouldn’t.

Didn’t stop my from pricing out an inground fiberglass this summer. We have zero trees where I’m at and the heat with the kids is unbearable in the summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom