Hot seat | The Boneyard

Hot seat

Reaction Score
Oftentimes when we talk about the “hot seat” we talk about coaches who are close to getting fired. When I say it here I’m asking the question: which substantial contributors from last years team do you see as most likely to lose playing time and have a smaller role than they did last year? I personally think is Tyrese.

Reaction Score
Oftentimes when we talk about the “hot seat” we talk about coaches who are close to getting fired. When I say it here I’m asking the question: which substantial contributors from last years team do you see as most likely to lose playing time and have a smaller role than they did last year? I personally think is Tyrese.

It's either Rese or Gaffney.

Tyrese will see a drop in minutes if Jackson makes the jump we want, or if he can't shoot the 3. 2/17 from deep in our last 8 games was a disaster. If he is shooting in the 20s, he needs to sit.

Gaffney will sit if he can't figure out pacing and BBIQ. He was a problem leading our offense much of the time. But this will only be true if 1 or oth of Hawkins/Diggins earns minutes.

I'd say Polley too but he didn't get kany minutes to begin with. I would like to see him healthy and aggressive on defense because his shooting changes the whole geometry of our offense

Reaction Score
Anyone who can't shoot the 3 consistently will be on the hot seat. So much of next season is dependent on finding people who can stretch the floor

Reaction Score
it's a make or break year for aj and akok.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If I started cooking brisket in college, I'd be a multi-millionaire and you guys would be posting while sitting at one of my tables.
I'm trying to imagine what a brisket cooked on a hot plate would taste like.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is on the hot seat.

Last year wasn’t even a complete season with the covid-stalls and everything. This is a year for everyone to get in normal rhythm.

Polley might see reduced minutes so new comers can get playing time but outside of that it should be all business.

Reaction Score
@superjohn has some serious questions regarding Gaff's BBQ.
Chief still holds out hope that Gaffney can consistently duplicate in the games what he does in practice. For all his detractors the last two years, UConn has played its best ball when Gaffney is getting minutes and is on his game,
Usually, when someone is athletic but sometimes has quiet games, at least you see the athletic potential. But, with Gaffney not until late last season was his athleticism visible in games that he has presented at practice.
I don’t get the low BBQ perception, since Gaffney has had a pretty good assist to turnover ratio for this team. It was at 1.30 behind Cole’s 2.48 but ahead of a guy some are advocating as a Top 10 pick (Bouknight 0.64). Granted still needs to get in the 2.0 range this season. Martin (0.77) and Sanogo (0.44) have work to do in that area too. I think the biggest thing holding him back has been deferring to others and projecting confidence in games. I am going to wager he has conquer those drawbacks and is due for a good season.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

1. Polley. 2. Whaley. Polley because he's just not that good and we have better options. Martin may not start, so that would be a reduced role, but he's almost certain to be the 6th man if so. Whaley because Akok, if he's all the way back, will cut into his role. He's still a key player. I expect Gaff to have a different role as a SG. Let's see what he does with it.

Reaction Score

I'm interested to see how many minutes Akok steals from Whaley and/or Sanogo.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Chief still holds out hope that Gaffney can consistently duplicate in the games what he does in practice. For all his detractors the last two years, UConn has played its best ball when Gaffney is getting minutes and is on his game,
Usually, when someone is athletic but sometimes has quiet games, at least you see the athletic potential. But, with Gaffney not until late last season was his athleticism visible in games that he has presented at practice.
I don’t get the low BBQ perception, since Gaffney has had a pretty good assist to turnover ratio for this team. It was at 1.30 behind Cole’s 2.48 but ahead of a guy some are advocating as a Top 10 pick (Bouknight 0.64). Granted still needs to get in the 2.0 range this season. Martin (0.77) and Sanogo (0.44) have work to do in that area too. I think the biggest thing holding him back has been deferring to others and projecting confidence in games. I am going to wager he has conquer those drawbacks and is due for a good season.

Last I watched him, he successfully cooked and distributed 3 hot dogs, but 2 fell between the grates. Not a good A/TO ratio.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Jackson is basically the high major version of the mid major Martin. I think at minimum we see their minutes flip, if Akok is good to go for 25 mpg Rese is full Cartlon.

Reaction Score
IMO it has to be Gaffney, mainly cause he seems like a guy without a role or 1 plus skill that causes a coach to have to get him on the floor.
Is he a better natural 1 than Diggins? Prob not
Is he a better off ball/wing than Martin, Jackson, Hawkins? Prob not
Does he shoot better than Tyler Phommachanh or rebound/defend better than Martin, no.

Reaction Score
he was BE 6th man of the year, just because you keep repeating this doesnt make it true
It's pretty funny at this point. Every thread has a reply from him about Polley sucking and Whaley losing his starting spot

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
he was BE 6th man of the year, just because you keep repeating this doesnt make it true
It's pretty funny at this point. Every thread has a reply from him about Polley sucking and Whaley losing his starting spot

That's because I believe it. I'll either be wrong or not. I don't know enough about the other 6th men in the BE to know whether it was deserved last year. He certainly was big in a couple of games, terrible in others. My views on Whaley aren't negative on him as much as positive on Akok, who would naturally get time at the 4. If Akok's minutes go up from almost none, Whaley's minutes would inevitably go down unless Sanogo gets hurt. How is that controversial?

I want the team to be great. If the thinking here is that our best players will be the same guys as last year, minus Bouknight, the team isn't going to be great. Polley and Whaley have already been here 4 years, they are the least likely to make a major jump. Cole would be next in that category and then probably Martin. Which is why I think Martin might not start either. Most likely to have a bigger impact than last year: Akok, AJax, Gaffney. If Gaff, AJax or Hawkins pushes Martin to the bench, then it means the team is better. If Akok pushes Whaley to the bench it means the team is better.

Reaction Score
That's because I believe it. I'll either be wrong or not. I don't know enough about the other 6th men in the BE to know whether it was deserved last year. He certainly was big in a couple of games, terrible in others. My views on Whaley aren't negative on him as much as positive on Akok, who would naturally get time at the 4. If Akok's minutes go up from almost none, Whaley's minutes would inevitably go down unless Sanogo gets hurt. How is that controversial?

I want the team to be great. If the thinking here is that our best players will be the same guys as last year, minus Bouknight, the team isn't going to be great. Polley and Whaley have already been here 4 years, they are the least likely to make a major jump. Cole would be next in that category and then probably Martin. Which is why I think Martin might not start either. Most likely to have a bigger impact than last year: Akok, AJax, Gaffney. If Gaff, AJax or Hawkins pushes Martin to the bench, then it means the team is better. If Akok pushes Whaley to the bench it means the team is better.
I would love to start Akok at the 4 and never give Whaley any minutes there, but I just don't think it's realistic to expect Whaley to come back and come off the bench. It's a great problem to have, I just expect Akok to be brought along slowly and come off the bench for short bursts of energy. It's not that people here think Polley and Whaley are going to make a huge jump in year 5, it's that the 2 skills they bring (shooting and the hard hedge on defense) are the least replaceable from other players and going to earn them minutes

I just don't think you have to cut Whaley's minutes to fit Akok in, Whaley can get his 25 minutes again, Sanogo can get his 25 and that's still 30 minutes available at the 4 for Akok to take some of

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I would love to start Akok at the 4 and never give Whaley any minutes there, but I just don't think it's realistic to expect Whaley to come back and come off the bench. It's a great problem to have, I just expect Akok to be brought along slowly and come off the bench for short bursts of energy. It's not that people here think Polley and Whaley are going to make a huge jump in year 5, it's that the 2 skills they bring (shooting and the hard hedge on defense) are the least replaceable from other players and going to earn them minutes

I just don't think you have to cut Whaley's minutes to fit Akok in, Whaley can get his 25 minutes again, Sanogo can get his 25 and that's still 30 minutes available at the 4 for Akok to take some of

Well even if Akok starts, I think Whaley plays minutes at the 4 and at the 5. He'd be the clear backup at both spots. So maybe he gets as many. Springs and Johnson may earn minutes too though.

As to the "if he comes back he starts"....nah. Carlton didn't. Barely played most of the time. Beat out by a freshman. The guys who earn it should play.

Reaction Score
As to the "if he comes back he starts"....nah. Carlton didn't. Barely played most of the time. Beat out by a freshman. The guys who earn it should play.
Carlton coming back for his senior year is not the same as Whaley choosing to come back for a 5th year, which Carlton didn't choose to do. Of course the guy who earns it is going to start, and I think it's obvious after watching him for 4 years that's going to be Whaley. Nowhere did I say Whaley should start simply because he chose to come back.

If he comes back he starts =/= he's coming back because he'll start

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Carlton coming back for his senior year is not the same as Whaley choosing to come back for a 5th year, which Carlton didn't choose to do. Of course the guy who earns it is going to start, and I think it's obvious after watching him for 4 years that's going to be Whaley. Nowhere did I say Whaley should start simply because he chose to come back.

If he comes back he starts =/= he's coming back because he'll start

You said "I just don't think it's realistic to expect Whaley to come back and come off the bench". Why not? We've all watched him for 4 years. Mostly he didn't play, we liked his energy and hops when he did. Akok started over him as a freshman. Carlton was clearly better than him in both their freshman and sophomore years. It wasn't until the end of his junior year, that he made a real impact as a high energy small 5 and 4 after Akok and Polley went down. He got beat out as our 5 by a freshman last year, but due to Akok not being healthy, he moved over to the 4.

He's a critical player next season, no doubt. I'm just not sold that our team is best served with him starting, vs being the first big off the bench at both the 4 and 5. Especially given the likely desire to start Andre at the 3. Akok's ability to hit outside shots and convert dunks around the rim on passes from AJ make them a natural pairing. I like Whaley better at the 4 when we've got at least Martin level shooting at the 3.

Reaction Score
You said "I just don't think it's realistic to expect Whaley to come back and come off the bench". Why not? We've all watched him for 4 years. Mostly he didn't play, we liked his energy and hops when he did. Akok started over him as a freshman. Carlton was clearly better than him in both their freshman and sophomore years. It wasn't until the end of his junior year, that he made a real impact as a high energy small 5 and 4 after Akok and Polley went down. He got beat out as our 5 by a freshman last year, but due to Akok not being healthy, he moved over to the 4.

He's a critical player next season, no doubt. I'm just not sold that our team is best served with him starting, vs being the first big off the bench at both the 4 and 5. Especially given the likely desire to start Andre at the 3. Akok's ability to hit outside shots and convert dunks around the rim on passes from AJ make them a natural pairing. I like Whaley better at the 4 when we've got at least Martin level shooting at the 3.
I have no idea and maybe you're right, but in short when Dan and Isaiah sat down at the end of the season to discuss him coming back I just don't see that conversation being about him coming off the bench. If I was in his shoes and coming off 2 great seasons and a Big East DPOY of the year season I'd be offended if that was the conversation.

I just think we have wildly different views on shooting. I wouldn't consider Martin at the 3 a positive shooting lineup, and as much as I like Akok and his shooting he's ultimately a 26% 3 point shooter and that's just not gonna cut it with the rest of the team makeup next year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom