Horizon League Expanding; Extends Invite To Unidentified School | The Boneyard

Horizon League Expanding; Extends Invite To Unidentified School

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...nds-invitation-unidentified-school/103076944/

The Horizon League could replace departing Valparaiso as soon as the upcoming fall season, and almost certainly at least by 2018-19, the league commissioner told The Detroit News on Wednesday.

Commissioner Jonathan B. LeCrone wouldn’t identify the school, but confirmed the league presidents voted to extend an invitation to a single institution, with a formal announcement coming within the next two or three weeks. Horizon League officials saw presentations from two institutions in the last week, and voted to invite one of them to join.

Expansion votes require a super-majority from the league board, so at least six of the nine votes had to be yes. Valparaiso, leaving for the Missouri Valley Conference, still sits on the board, but can’t vote. LeCrone wouldn’t release the vote total.

“I am fairly certain we will be at 10 members either in ’18-19, or possibily even ’17-18,” LeCrone said. “It’s really up to the institution to decide their entry date.”

The Horizon League has been looking at expansion for well over a year, and has targeted several schools during that time frame. It stepped up its pursuit when Valparaiso announced this spring it was bolting. Valparaiso is paying a $500,000 exit fee to the Horizon League for giving “untimely notice,” LeCrone said.

Reaction Score
Both the Horizon League home office and the NCAA headquarters are a within a mile or 2, so they might actually know where IUPUI is located.

They're home to IU's med school and generally have a lot going for them. I'm not sure if they can overcome the "urban commuter school" label though to make a serious run at athletics. That, and I wouldn't think that IU or PU would want them to keep moving up the conference pecking order.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom