Hopkins rounds out improving OL (J. Silver) | The Boneyard

Hopkins rounds out improving OL (J. Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is pretty big news. I really liked what I saw from Rutherford. Hopkins looked really tall to me to be a guard, like 6'8" tall, but the coaches must see something. This is starting to sound encouraging.

Reaction Score
Want to believe so badly, but stuck in show me mode.

Hoping for some good reviews from BY'ers who go to spring game.

Gonna be tough to assess in this game, where starting O-line is going against 2nd defense...They better get a push in this game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gonna be tough to assess in this game, where starting O-line is going against 2nd defense...They better get a push in this game.

The reason why it's so hard to "believe" is that each of the past several spring games (regardless of format) the DLine pushed around the OLine. The standard comeback is that defense is always ahead of offense, the unit needs to gel with new players, they will get better in August, blah, blah, blah. Then comes the first game of the season against an FCS team and the OLine can't get a push. Repeatx4 since 2010.

Reaction Score
The reason why it's so hard to "believe" is that each of the past several spring games (regardless of format) the DLine pushed around the OLine. The standard comeback is that defense is always ahead of offense, the unit needs to gel with new players, they will get better in August, blah, blah, blah. Then comes the first game of the season against an FCS team and the OLine can't get a push. Repeatx4 since 2010.

I agree. Every year I try to stay positive and say well they can't get a push because our D line is so stout. And every year (for the last 4-5) come August they have let me down. Our D line has been good but not nearly as good as the Oline makes them out to be in these spring games. I almost feel they are changing the format (1's vs 2's) just to instill some confidence and give the fans something to look forward to. I feel like they don't want the fans leaving with a bad taste in our mouths like we have the last 4 spring games when our QB's would go a combined 10 for 47 with 4 picks and an accidental TD.

Reaction Score
Read article this AM in Courant. Neither offense nor defense will show much. Execute what we want the way we want and that's about it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Are the rosters out? Is this definitive?

I would think they'd want to see starters vs. starters.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's not such a bad idea for the 1st O to have a better opportunity to execute and get some things done. First order of business they HAVE to be able to run against these guys. Then we may see some passing. 2nd teamers aren't going to lay down so they'd better be ready.

Reaction Score
I remember last year when the staff moved him over to backup the OG position because they wanted more athleticism there and was very surprised by the rationale. I had always envisioned him as a Right OT playing in front of Knappe simply because of better technique due to his experience. So another big guard like Hurd. Something else to look for in the spring game, nice.

Reaction Score
We will know very early if the season holds any promise or if we are headed to a total disaster.

Nova will want a shoot-out with that QB and will want to test our young corners. Diaco will want to (and should want to imo) win that game on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. He will want to run the ball and set up enough play action on offense. On defense he will want to pressure on the passer without leaving the corners exposed.

If we come out of that game not having run the ball for over 100 yards and without any sacks Towson State will seem like a highpoint. We absolutely have to get Johnson and Newsome going and Sherrifs too.

Reaction Score
That is pretty big news. I really liked what I saw from Rutherford. Hopkins looked really tall to me to be a guard, like 6'8" tall, but the coaches must see something. This is starting to sound encouraging.

listed at 6'6" and 308 lbs. From August to February he went from 298 lbs to 308. He's probably between 310-315 lbs right now and projects to be 315-320 lbs at the start of the season. That could be another factor why he would get the nod over Rutherford.

P.S. we might have the biggest offensive line in the country in 2016 both in terms of height and weight.

Reaction Score
I almost feel they are changing the format (1's vs 2's) just to instill some confidence and give the fans something to look forward to. I feel like they don't want the fans leaving with a bad taste in our mouths.

^^This^^

Reaction Score
I agree. Every year I try to stay positive and say well they can't get a push because our D line is so stout. And every year (for the last 4-5) come August they have let me down. Our D line has been good but not nearly as good as the Oline makes them out to be in these spring games. I almost feel they are changing the format (1's vs 2's) just to instill some confidence and give the fans something to look forward to. I feel like they don't want the fans leaving with a bad taste in our mouths like we have the last 4 spring games when our QB's would go a combined 10 for 47 with 4 picks and an accidental TD.

Not only instill some confidence but also give the 2nd and 3rd stringers to show what they got vs the 1's.

A chance for someone to move into the 2 deep.

Reaction Score
I wonder if any of the true freshman will make the 2 deep, I know that will be tough, but very curious

Reaction Score
I wonder if any of the true freshman will make the 2 deep, I know that will be tough, but very curious

Maybe a receiver or two that have length? Maybe a running back? Only if a significant upgrade right now. None of the linemen, they need to be in the weight room a year.

Reaction Score
Maybe a receiver or two that have length? Maybe a running back? Only if a significant upgrade right now. None of the linemen, they need to be in the weight room a year.
No running backs in this most recent class. I really like the WR's in this class. I think most will make an impact at some point during their time here. As you mentioned, I too think one of the tall WR's could see the field earlier than later, (McLean or Battle). I don't see any of the defensive guys seeing the field, but the offensive side minus the OL signees I think have a chance. Davis should be RS as talked about ad nauseam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom