Hoosiers | The Boneyard

Hoosiers

Reaction Score
Recently, reading the Boneyard, it seemed as if we were all in the movie, Hoosiers. You know the scene: the team has been introduced to the town and a cry of "We want Jimmy" fills the gym. Gene Hackman then goes to the mike and says "I hope you would support who we are and not who we are not."

My biggest joy in watching UConn Women's Basketball is to see how Geno and Chris get five young women to play well together. Sometimes it works great, other times it is clearly a work in progress. But this season it has been difficult for me to focus on the process in the Boneyard because of the constant refrains of "play the bench more" or "get better players."

I am in no way disparaging the people making those remarks because I recognize their passion for the game is as strong as my own. But for me the refrains tend to crowd out analysis of the five players who are getting most of the floor time and of what the coaches and they are trying to do together.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They should copy Jimmy Chitwood's shooting mechanics also.
Let me say it before anyone else does: "I really hope that the need for a Jimmy Chitwood lookalike is being addressed in the 2020 recruiting class!"

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Fella named Maris Valainis played Chitwood. Was cut from his HS BBall team, but played golf at Purdue. Love this story...

Of the eight actors cast as members of the team, Valainis was reportedly the only one who did not actually play high school basketball.

The scene in Hoosiers with Jimmy Chitwood and Coach Norman Dale talking while Jimmy is shooting baskets at an outdoor basket was filmed in one take. Valainis said that he "wasn't even listening to (Gene Hackman). I was just concentrating on making (the shots) and I made one and they kept going in." In the scene where Chitwood made the final shot of the state championship game, Valainis was told that whether he made the shot or not, people were going to rush the floor because of the need for a wide shot of the court. Luckily, he made it on the first take (and later sank the same shot in a second take).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Chitwood was based on the real life of Bobby Plumb, a 6’1” star at Milan HS. Plumb is currently 82 years old and still living in IN. Maybe he’s got a granddaughter who’s got some skills?

Reaction Score
So I guess we're waiting for Paige Bueckers to walk up and say "I play, coach stays. Coach goes, I go."

Reaction Score
So I guess we're waiting for Paige Bueckers to walk up and say "I play, coach stays. Coach goes, I go."
Great idea! Isn't that what Plum did with Neighbors? Worked out pretty well for both of them I guess.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Chitwood was based on the real life of Bobby Plumb, a 6’1” star at Milan HS. Plumb is currently 82 years old and still living in IN. Maybe he’s got a granddaughter who’s got some skills?
Isn't it Plump?

Reaction Score
Great job! Any Hoosiers reference is awesome!
The analogy I want to use about this year’s team and this blog site is Coach Dail from day 1 molding his team into an Indiana state championship contender. Remember they just wanted to hoist J’s. He took the balls out of practice until they realized what his expectations were.
There are a million ways to skin a cat. This blog can be a place for fans to talk basketball and at the same time root for #12.

Reaction Score
They should copy Jimmy Chitwood's shooting mechanics also.
Awesome post!!
We’ve got some quirky looking shots. I like Coombs’ floor game, but does she have a “pet or go-to” shot. I keep waiting for one of those runners going left to go in. Clank.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom