Hoophall Comments (Sunday) Long | The Boneyard

Hoophall Comments (Sunday) Long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Observations on players with reputations, past and current UConn interest that played in Springfield on Sunday: Hamidou Diallo, Mamadou Diarra, Bruce Brown, Tyrique Jones, Nick Richards, Mohammed Bamba, Azubuike, Alpha Diallo, Markus Howard, PJ Washington, Wenyen Gabriel, and a couple others I like: Taurean Thompson, CJ Keyser. Brian Bowen, Jordy Tshimanaga,

Hamidou Diallo (also posted in his thread)
I thought he played hard throughout the Hoophall Game vs Commonwealth so I didn't see him take plays off. He absolutely skies in transition and finishes with speed and authority with many highlight film plays. On the flip side, without benefit of a box score, I would bet he was 14 for 21 from the line, and many misses were quite off. There were some point blank misses that should have been 'and one'. Down the stretch in a close game he hit 3 straight 15' mid range jumpers but hadn't been able to hit a thing before that. The comparison to Jeremy Lamb would be the ability to play high above the rim, handle good enough for transition but not good enough to breakdown a set defense to get your shot. Lamb was a better spot up shooter but Diallo is the kind of player that takes it to the rim and could set a record for number of trips to the line, (hence the importance to shoot better from the line). The Derrick Jones comparison is interesting in that the superior athlete is trying to develop making deep shots. My guess is that Diallo is probably a 3 pt shooter in the low 30% range but I have no stat to back that up. When Roscoe Smith took a 3 I was okay with it but it wasn't a money shot, that's how I look at Diallo at the moment. As far as the raw material to be a superstar, he's got it. As far as being a superstar/savior already, in my opinion he needs to improve to be an 80% foul shooter, raise his percentage from deep to over 40%, and, play with a pure break down pass first point guard so those duties are not his. Putnam had others bring up the ball against relentless pressure and he took over from mid court or forecourt. They won their game and he got over 30 pts. I hope he wears a husky uniform.

Mamadou Diarra
Relentless, excellent out of area rebounder, very inefficient percentage on point blank put backs and tips that are not finished with a dunk, and unfortunately didn't appear to be a proficient free throw shooter and he will be going there a lot. Without a box score my impression was maybe 3 for 7. The makes were clean but the misses were not close. On one possession he and Hamidou stuck with it and got six or seven tips so they are relentless, the bad news is the ball still didn't go in and the trip was empty.

Bruce Brown
Over 30 points and hit 2-3 threes which really changes him from a good player to special. BUT, I have never seen his team win in 4-5 games watched.

Tyrique Jones
I have not been high on him as a power forward with good strength, only average athleticism, only average production, that gets lost in the flow of the game for long stretches, and doesn't have apparent offensive skills, but, this time he hit a 3 pointer and looked good doing it, so there seems to be improvement. Playing with Bruce Brown the same story holds, they compete but don't win big games.

U. Azubuike
Huge McD All American Center 6'11 powerfully built. My guess at least 275lbs. Agile, basketball skills, scary power, but, interestingly totally negated in this game by 6'8 Anthony Ochefu from Westtown School PA who fronted him successfully, with 7'0 (rail thin) Mohammad Bamba assisting from off the ball at times. Azubuike had 3 dunks that shook the rafters but that was completely it. Seeing how good coaching and a coachable average player (Ochefu) could negate this specimen, lowered my expectations for Zach Brown being able to impose his will at UConn automatically.

Mohammad Bamba
Rail thin skilled agile 7'0 that is not a center but competes down low. His team did not have a basket until there was 13sec left in the first quarter and they were 20 points down and yet they won the game by a wide margin high teens to 20 points. Very much the same player as Thon Maker. Bamba contributed in many ways such as tipping away entry passes to the post, blocking shots, rebounding, dribbling in the open court, and some scoring. He was active and important to the outcome of the game but could not dominate.

Nick Richards
Plays a team game in the ST Patrick system with good small guards. He is 6'11 and lean, but not as skinny as some of these young bigs. As a 2017 athletic post I bet he gets better and better. He has tools but a team system will fit him. As I write this I cannot recall a specific play to help your minds eye.

Alpha Diallo
I actually would be just as happy having Alpha Diallo on the floor as Hamidou Diallo. This is the third time I have seen him in person after his tv debut with team Africa where he willed that team to win in the second half. He showed that will again Sunday with a second half comeback, but this time he had more help and only had to make a contribution. The kid has size, shoots mid range, shoots deep, is an athlete (but less than Hamidou), can handle, and most important to me, has the will to dig in and win. He can play a 2G and slide to 3G in line ups. Kid has heart and skills.

Wenyen Gabriel
On that same team Africa with Hamidou Diallo and Alpha Diallo he was spectacular. In Springfield he did not show that national star level. He played well, but more in context of the team, even when they could have used him taking over.

Markus Howard
Guard from Findlay Prep we have offered who was national scoring leader last year at 32ppg I read someplace. Thumbs down for my money. The kid makes all the shots he takes and is a low volume shooter for the points scored, but takes a nap when he isn't shooting. He stands, he watches his team play defense, he watches them rebound, he trots up the court, he stands on offense, he watches everybody play, then they pass him the ball he takes one dribble forward to create space, jumps back and swishes a 3. He played most of the game and didn't need a shower. Sort of a Khalid El-Amin body

PJ Washington
On that same Findley Prep team is a 6'9 2017 effort player I would covet. Hit 1-2 3's effortlessly, fought underneath, had the diversified game of a Daniel Hamilton, but oriented a bit more inside. Also seemed to possess competitive fire.

Taurean Thompson
6'10 Top 100 2016 Brewster player that was unsigned last I saw. Played much better than when I saw previously. This time very aggressive and skilled with the ball on powerful offensive moves around the basket. He finished, shot well, and looked good. Would love to have him as the replacement for Facey but doubtful we could manage that unless Durham were redshirting.

Jordy Tshimanaga
Big powerful 6'11 2016 in the 260lb range ranked in 150's and also unsigned last I looked, is probably down 20lbs and it shows. He knows he belongs in the paint and is exactly the player we wanted when Rakim Lubin was recruited. He isn't called on for much offense but owns the paint. I doubt if we have a spot in 2016.

CJ Keyser
Brewster's point guard going to Witchita State is off the charts athletic and has skills. As high a flyer as Hamidou, head can hit the rim type of stuff. I love watching him

Brian Bowen
6'7 2017 from Lalumiere basketball factory that I haven't looked up yet. He is a stat sheet stuffer a la Hamilton and PJ Washington. Affects every aspect of the game. Handles, rebounds, scores, relentless...

Overall, I didn't see any dominate big men, I didn't see any prolific deep shooting wings, and I didn't see any program leading point guards. There were many good players but nobody stood out to me as the type of player that carries teams to championships on their backs.

Respectfully submitted for what it's worth to basketball junkies that need a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky
Top Bottom