HoopGurlz 2020 Final Rankings and analysis of the Top20 | The Boneyard

HoopGurlz 2020 Final Rankings and analysis of the Top20

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
With the final rankings in and the class rankings done (both links below), I have my own opinions on this very interesting recruiting and choices of schools. California? Syracuse? Ole Miss?? Iowa State? Iowa? Rutgers? All appearing on this Top 20 List when they traditionally have not been known for top 20 recruiting.

First the curious selections-#2 Angel Reese, I don't think anyone is of the belief that she will thrive at Maryland. 2 reason for my stating this-Brenda's high transfer rate out and the fact I haven't seen Brenda "coach up" anyone. Add in the fact that Angel is known as a "challenge" and I see concerns on this #2 prospect blossoming into an All-American..
#5 Kamilla Cordosa choosing Syracuse is another eye popper as Q is not known for post position players, guards-yes, interior game-no. This is going to be interesting to watch as my suspicion is "implosion" but that's solely a guess.
#6 Diamond Johnson choosing Rutgers and CVS as I only look as far as Alexis Morris and Maori Davenport to see disaster.
#13 Delayah Daniels and California? Maybe the Kristen Anigwe factor came into play here but did Anigwe really thrive or did she stay the same or regress? New coach so who knows what the future holds but for a #13 prospect to bet so highly on this is interesting.
#15 Madison Scott choosing Ole Miss and new team mate Shakira Austin are the stuff of epic turnarounds but that's a high gamble by both...

Clearly UConn and Oregon were the top 2 program winners here. I put Syracuse 3rd given their rise from nowhere and the higher rankings of Cordosa (#5) and Priscilla Williams (#9) over what ND is garnering in volume top 4 (#20, #27, #34, #44). That said, how many of these top players actually stay at these schools given the new transfer trend? 8 of the top 20 from 2018 have transferred and 10 of 20 from 2017 have transferred. Thoughts?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, Syracuse signed 7 and Cal 6. Big classes...just don't work. That's been proven over and over again. So, look for transfers out from both sooner than later. Even 5 is probably too many for one class, quite a few of the top 20 ranked classes have 5 players.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Also 4 of Cal's signees are listed as a F or P and are 6-3 or taller. I just can't see any way all 4 are going to get playing time that is satisfactory to them. Oregon had a similar class 4 years ago and 2 of them transferred out within 2 years.

Reaction Score
Also 4 of Cal's signees are listed as a F or P and are 6-3 or taller. I just can't see any way all 4 are going to get playing time that is satisfactory to them. Oregon had a similar class 4 years ago and 2 of them transferred out within 2 years.

Well, and where did those two players transfer two. Answer, not to big power schools. At Oregon if you don't fully produce you don't play. They were given ample opportunity to produce. So they did not play. They knew how to get playing time.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, and where did those two players transfer two. Answer, not to big power schools. At Oregon if you don't fully produce you don't play. They were given ample opportunity to produce. So they did not play. They knew how to get playing time.

I didn't say anything contrary to what you're saying, did I? My point is simply if you bring in a bunch of players that play the same position, some will leave. It's pretty much a given. If all parties are fully aware of that from the get go, then there is no problem I suppose.

Reaction Score
It's so unfortunate that Nika's value was really not included in the school rankings and Edwards value wasnt fully reflected. If so, I think Edwards is top 10 and Nika is at least top 20. That would have really shown how out in front this incoming class is. I really think this is a 2012 caliber class.

Reaction Score
Like Bueckers said, Let em sleep on us. ;)

They will be what they are. For many it's better to come in with lesser expectations. If my expectations are right anything the other 4 do will be gravy and I think they will contribute minutes because Geno will be able to push the tempo without worrying about fouls or fatigue. The returning players were just getting the feel of a faster pace on offense and tight defense when the season ended. Yeah, it was AAC teams but it was like the play I remembered from past years. So there is a decently experienced nucleus with a lot of upside along with a freshman class that if nothing else will add a lot of energy to the program.

Reaction Score
I didn't say anything contrary to what you're saying, did I? My point is simply if you bring in a bunch of players that play the same position, some will leave. It's pretty much a given. If all parties are fully aware of that from the get go, then there is no problem I suppose.
That the way the UCONNs, Stanfords, Notre Dames, Baylors, Oregons and South Carolinas do it. They recruit full rosters not just one or two 4 or 5 stars.

So you think that the players at all of these schools are unaware of who is already on the rosters and who has been recruited and how good they are. These recruits are smarter than you give them credit for. Besides I did not see Washington or Oregon State chase down Campisanio or McQwire.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Besides I did not see Washington or Oregon State chase down Campisanio or McQwire.

I have no idea if UW put out feelers. They should have. They need all the help they can get in the front court and have during Wynn's entire tenure.

edit--McGwire in particular. Not sure how much Campisano would help but McGwire is probably better than any post UW has had since Wynn has been the coach.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Isn't Cal pretty short on players? They had to restock. Checking their 2019-20 roster page, they have at most 8 who could return.

Reaction Score
Daniels has some versatility to her game, I think Cal will see if they can go big with Daniels at the 3, Onyiah at the 4, and Samb at the 5.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Isn't Cal pretty short on players? They had to restock. Checking their 2019-20 roster page, they have at most 8 who could return.
Daniels has some versatility to her game, I think Cal will see if they can go big with Daniels at the 3, Onyiah at the 4, and Samb at the 5.

Okay, maybe it will work. Schipholt had her moments as a Fr. C.J. West used up her eligibility. There are certainly minutes available in the front court. I kind of assume Heide is a bit of a project. Still I'll be fairly surprised if all 6 of the incoming Fr. stay together for 4 years. Cal quietly has been losing quite a few players to transfer in recent years. Some of that was under Gottlieb, and of course there is some turnover when a new coach takes over.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
It's so unfortunate that Nika's value was really not included in the school rankings and Edwards value wasnt fully reflected. If so, I think Edwards is top 10 and Nika is at least top 20. That would have really shown how out in front this incoming class is. I really think this is a 2012 caliber class.
That class was #1, #2 and #6 ranked so no, this class is not close to that. While I really like Paige and Edwards (duh, obvious statement!) and I think Nika could be very good based on the few games I have seen posted here, I am not sold on Mir or Piath yet. Nika, even if she is a Top 20 player is still a long way from #6 which is what Morgan Tuck was, so no, this class is not really that close to 2012. This class is however, very, very good and could be top 5 all time.

Reaction Score
I have no idea if UW put out feelers. They should have. They need all the help they can get in the front court and have during Wynn's entire tenure.

edit--McGwire in particular. Not sure how much Campisano would help but McGwire is probably better than any post UW has had since Wynn has been the coach.

That is fair enough.

Campisano was a flop mentally. Some don't handle the transition to college and I believe she had the so called mental demons playing against her. McGwire would have progressed well and had tons of upside potential had she stayed. I actually think Boise St. was a nice fit for her.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
With the final rankings in and the class rankings done (both links below), I have my own opinions on this very interesting recruiting and choices of schools. California? Syracuse? Ole Miss?? Iowa State? Iowa? Rutgers? All appearing on this Top 20 List when they traditionally have not been known for top 20 recruiting.

First the curious selections-#2 Angel Reese, I don't think anyone is of the belief that she will thrive at Maryland. 2 reason for my stating this-Brenda's high transfer rate out and the fact I haven't seen Brenda "coach up" anyone. Add in the fact that Angel is known as a "challenge" and I see concerns on this #2 prospect blossoming into an All-American..
#5 Kamilla Cordosa choosing Syracuse is another eye popper as Q is not known for post position players, guards-yes, interior game-no. This is going to be interesting to watch as my suspicion is "implosion" but that's solely a guess.
#6 Diamond Johnson choosing Rutgers and CVS as I only look as far as Alexis Morris and Maori Davenport to see disaster.
#13 Delayah Daniels and California? Maybe the Kristen Anigwe factor came into play here but did Anigwe really thrive or did she stay the same or regress? New coach so who knows what the future holds but for a #13 prospect to bet so highly on this is interesting.
#15 Madison Scott choosing Ole Miss and new team mate Shakira Austin are the stuff of epic turnarounds but that's a high gamble by both...

Clearly UConn and Oregon were the top 2 program winners here. I put Syracuse 3rd given their rise from nowhere and the higher rankings of Cordosa (#5) and Priscilla Williams (#9) over what ND is garnering in volume top 4 (#20, #27, #34, #44). That said, how many of these top players actually stay at these schools given the new transfer trend? 8 of the top 20 from 2018 have transferred and 10 of 20 from 2017 have transferred. Thoughts?

Interestingly, the team ranking write-up for Oregon hasn't been updated based on the latest individual rankings. (Didn't check to see if this is the case across the board.) I don't think it makes any difference, but one would think that someone connected with Hoopgurlz/ESPN would have made sure that the two corresponded.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, the team ranking write-up for Oregon hasn't been updated based on the latest individual rankings. (Didn't check to see if this is the case across the board.) I don't think it makes any difference, but one would think that someone connected with Hoopgurlz/ESPN would have made sure that the two corresponded.
Olson no longer updates the class rankings after he alters the individual rankings after the high school season.

I know Oregon State fell out of the 2018 class rankings after Andrea Aquino fell from #7 to around #20.

Last year, Aliyah Matharu of Mississippi State went from outside of the top-100 to top-30 after her high school season, but that was not reflected since the rankings were not updated.

Oregon was of course #1 regardless, so PaoPao’s boost obviously could not have put them at a better spot.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
While my historical analysis shows HG to be an ok predictor of collegiate success with most of the "stars" coming from the Top 20 players listed, in perusing that listing of schools/conferences I did an quick count of Top 10 and Top 20 to see where the talent is going-
ACC-4, (Syr #5/9; Lou #7; NC #10)
BigTen-3 (MD #2; Iowa #4; Rutgers #6)
PAC-12 with 2 (Stanford #3; Oregon #8)
UConn has 1 and if Edwards were ranked correctly, she would be top 10 (how a player on the Canadian National team not be top 20 is insane but whatever...).

For 11-20 rankings:
PAC12-4 (Ore #11/17/19; Cal #13)
Big12-3 (Bay #12/16 ; Iowa St #14)
ACC-2 (Lou #18; ND #20)
SEC-1 with (Ole Miss #15)

So to me, the SEC (1 player in top 20) is the big loser here and the ACC and PAC-12 (6 players each) as the big winners. The BigTen is 3rd and the Big12 is 4th.

This latest recruiting will just add to the PAC-12's separation of the best league with both the best players and best coaches in it. To be fair to the SEC, Dawn did have the #1 class last year with 5 and did not need any players this year but the rest of the league is showing serious cracks and with Vic now moseying to Texas, yikes...

Selfishly, we need to see the Big East start to make in-roads into the Top 20 with schools like DePaul and Marquette garnering 1 or 2 a year. If Ole Miss can do it, why not Doug or Meg?

Thoughts? :)

Reaction Score
While my historical analysis shows HG to be an ok predictor of collegiate success with most of the "stars" coming from the Top 20 players listed, in perusing that listing of schools/conferences I did an quick count of Top 10 and Top 20 to see where the talent is going-
ACC-4, (Syr #5/9; Lou #7; NC #10)
BigTen-3 (MD #2; Iowa #4; Rutgers #6)
PAC-12 with 2 (Stanford #3; Oregon #8)
UConn has 1 and if Edwards were ranked correctly, she would be top 10 (how a player on the Canadian National team not be top 20 is insane but whatever...).

For 11-20 rankings:
PAC12-4 (Ore #11/17/19; Cal #13)
Big12-3 (Bay #12/16 ; Iowa St #14)
ACC-2 (Lou #18; ND #20)
SEC-1 with (Ole Miss #15)

So to me, the SEC (1 player in top 20) is the big loser here and the ACC and PAC-12 (6 players each) as the big winners. The BigTen is 3rd and the Big12 is 4th.

This latest recruiting will just add to the PAC-12's separation of the best league with both the best players and best coaches in it. To be fair to the SEC, Dawn did have the #1 class last year with 5 and did not need any players this year but the rest of the league is showing serious cracks and with Vic now moseying to Texas, yikes...

Selfishly, we need to see the Big East start to make in-roads into the Top 20 with schools like DePaul and Marquette garnering 1 or 2 a year. If Ole Miss can do it, why not Doug or Meg?

Definitely a down year for the SEC, but 2019 was a very good year, as they landed 7 of the top-11. I wonder if any conference has ever done that before.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Interesting analysis...couple things I disagree with but I like the topic.

Regarding Reese, she seems a bit raw for a #2 recruit and I think a big part of her high ranking comes down to upside since she's 6-3, long and athletic with solid guard skills. Brenda's transfer out rate is a concern. Brenda's ability to develop players is not. Most players who actually do stick it out 4 years at Maryland turn into very good players. For examples, look at at Brionna Jones, Stephanie Jones, Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, Kristen Confroy, Alyssa Thomas, or any of the Langhorne/Harper/Coleman/Toliver crew. Even players that do leave improve big time over their 2 years at Maryland, with Shakira Austin/Lexie Brown as prime examples of that. Brenda has her flaws, but developing players is not one of them.

As far as Cardosa, she's a big who can run the floor and will get great passes from Mangakahia/Lewis. I agree that Syracuse seems like an odd fit, but it could work well with a 1in/4out offense. She'll definitely get lots of space inside.

Rutgers is kind of a crapshoot with top recruits. In the past decade they usually don't stick around or develop particularly well with players like Scaife and Kahleah Copper as the exception. I wouldn't use Morris/Davenport as examples though since Morris has her own off the court issues and Davenport was likely homesick.

Looking at the rest of the class:

-I think Hailey Van Lith, Bueckers, and Clark are in the best spots to contribute early. Biggest pressure is on Bueckers since UCONN is a "championship or bust" program and she's likely taking over the reigns at PG from day 1. Everything about her indicates she has that "it" factor and should live up to the hype, but last year we saw Horston look like a slam dunk recruit for Tennessee and we saw how that panned out. Hailey Van Lith/Clark walk into lower pressure situations, as I think Hailey Van Lith will not be expected to take on a primary role with Evans/Balogun still there. Clark will take on a prominent role but expectations are a lot lower for Iowa. They're in more of a rebuilding mode with Meyer/Doyle both gone.

-Oregon/ND/UCONN both landed large and deep classes. Realistically all 3 will likely have players who get limited PT and wind up transferring out. All have had lots of transfers in recent years. UCONN/Oregon has had most of their kids who don't get PT transfer out, and ND has had its share of defections and has a new coach.

-For UCONN, I think Bueckers/Edwards are most likely to contribute as freshmen, the others have an uphill battle with so much talent returning and staying on the roster the next 2 years. Wings are especially loaded with Makurat, Griffin, Williams and Westbrook all there potentially 2-3 years.

-Freshman impact at Notre Dame is kind of a crapshoot with new coaching and coming off a disappointing season. There is a LOT of talent on the roster though, even without a clear vision or understanding of who is going to get primary minutes vs. who will be a backup early on. My guess is a couple of the freshmen become rotation players, likely Marshall/Westbeld since they project to be backups for Brunelle/Vaughn.

-Oregon should get contributions from their freshmen early and often with a very inexperienced roster next year. I'd look for Scherr/Pao Pao/Parrish to take on the roles that Shelley/Chavez did a year ago. Watson should back up Sabally/Prince.

-Baylor's pair of freshmen should be in positions to contribute as backups. Andrews appears to be more of a scoring PG so I don't think she'll get PG minutes early on, but could be a back up PG or SG to the Ursin/the Olivers. Gusters should slide in well backing up Egbo.

-Brink is highly ranked but similarly to Reese I think she takes a year to adjust to the college game and needs to add muscle to compete inside. Stanford is loaded next year up front so I'm not sure if she sees the floor much. Up front they have Prechtel, Jerome, Belibi, and Dodson. All of those players are big and physical which will be good for Brink to practice against and get used to the physicality.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Absolutely agreed. The big east had a better RPI last season (only 3 teams above RPI 150 compared to 7 AAC teams). But if you just take the top 100 hoopgurlz recruits for 2020, only one (#50 to Depaul) is going to the big east outstide of UConn. Compared to two (#45 to Tulane, #96 to SMU) going to the AAC.

The big east is definitely an improvement for UConn, but the other teams need to start getting some of the top 100 talent onto their rosters to close the gap to the P5 conferences.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom