Hoopfeed Video: UConn players discuss the new season, the world championship and new roles | The Boneyard

Hoopfeed Video: UConn players discuss the new season, the world championship and new roles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As promised!

Defending national champion Connecticut began their quest for a three-peat this week. Sophomore Saniya Chong, junior Moriah Jefferson, freshman Kia Nurse, senior Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and junior Breanna Stewart discuss several topics during the first week of practice for the 2014-15 season.

http://post original url/PXlnFFkvMO

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Not that it means anything but... In the wind sprints, Jefferson finished first. Was that Gabby and Kia second and third ?

Reaction Score
Yes, I believe so. Screen shot here. Look at the length of Stewie's stride!
upload_2014-10-17_13-17-2.png

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great videos - thank you so much for the coverage!

Reaction Score
Look at the length of Stewie's stride!

We saw that when she ran the length of the court to block that shot against Rutgers.

Look at the length of MoJeff's lead. :)

Thanks for the videos.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yes, I believe so. Screen shot here. Look at the length of Stewie's stride!
View attachment 7207
Great videos. Thank you! On the wind sprints, i was surprised to see Stewie come in 4th. I think that was Moriah who came in first, but who was 2nd and 3rd?

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't exactly know who it was leading those sprints , I think it was MoJeff, but whoever it was is in good condition........and FAST.

Reaction Score
1. Moriah
2. Kia
3. Gabby
4. Breanna

Per best guesses above and my expert guess too

Reaction Score
I would have thought there would be more comments on the players' videos than the sprint! You guys are too funny!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wind sprints were interesting. Wish there was more video of them.

Tuck did really well considering her surgery and Gabby probably ran at 75%. I'd give the latter a shot at MoJeff if she were at 100%.

Ekmark trailed pretty badly and looked less athletic and mobile than most of her teammates. I think we can probably cross her out of the other starting guard spot from a defensive standpoint.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Also noticed Kiah in the big headband. I'm assuming that's allowed only in practice.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wish Kiah would get more video time. From the few time we get to see her she's engaging and has a great personality.

Reaction Score
Wind sprints were interesting. Wish there was more video of them.

Tuck did really well considering her surgery and Gabby probably ran at 75%. I'd give the latter a shot at MoJeff if she were at 100%.

Ekmark trailed pretty badly and looked less athletic and mobile than most of her teammates. I think we can probably cross her out of the other starting guard spot from a defensive standpoint.

If Ekmark is eliminated from starting at guard because of her showing in the wind sprints, does that mean KML will be eliminated from starting at the wing since she trailed Ekmark by a fair amount in the same sprint ?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Ekmark is eliminated from starting at guard because of her showing in the wind sprints, does that mean KML will be eliminated from starting at the wing since she trailed Ekmark by a fair amount in the same sprint ?

I just don't think Ekmark comes across as a 2-guard defensively. There would seem to be better positions for her to defend whereas there really aren't for KML. If you saw the scrimmage last night, Ekmark doesn't appear to have the lateral quickness or footwork to defend quick players. Now obviously that's just based on 10 minutes of an exhibition, but the differences between her and Nurse in that regard were pretty stark. I'd also say Chong looked much quicker last year as well. We'll see. Maybe she'll look quicker next time out.

Reaction Score
Sluconn Husky said:
Also noticed Kiah in the big headband. I'm assuming that's allowed only in practice.

Headbands are allowed. Helps keep the hair out of their eyes/faces. Sweatbands are not.

Reaction Score
I just don't think Ekmark comes across as a 2-guard defensively. There would seem to be better positions for her to defend whereas there really aren't for KML. If you saw the scrimmage last night, Ekmark doesn't appear to have the lateral quickness or footwork to defend quick players. Now obviously that's just based on 10 minutes of an exhibition, but the differences between her and Nurse in that regard were pretty stark. I'd also say Chong looked much quicker last year as well. We'll see. Maybe she'll look quicker next time out.

FWIW, I happen to think that Ekmark will be backing up KML this year. I'm just apprehensive on drawing conclusions from one wind sprint session.
And I have to admit that Nurse will probably be the only freshman to see substantial game time this year. Remember Stewart and Jefferson (and they were ranked #1 & #2) their freshman year ? Only a select few freshman can join a team that plays at UConn's level and be expected to contribute right away.

JS

Reaction Score
Look at the length of MoJeff's lead.
As a former sprinter I'll tell you that you don't get that big a lead in a sprint that short unless you had an abnormally good start.

In other words, you jumped the gun. This can be done unsuccessfully (false start; second gun) or successfully (guess the starting signal so well that your start is simultaneous with it).

An extra advantage if you get away with it is your competitors may think you won't. They'll hesitate for a split second while you're already out there getting toward full stride.

I don't doubt MoJeff is extraordinarily quick (fast twitch muscles govern starting prowess). And she has great speed for her size in full stride as well (though her relatively short length of stride would be a problem in, say, a 100 meter dash.

But a five yard lead three quarters of the way through a sprint of only 30 yards -- against the fastest runner-up in a group of athletic peers, is preposterous even for MoJet without an excellent jump.

Go MoJet!! Take what they give you, girl.

jump-the-gun.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Videos were great and I got the impression that this is a very confident team that is more then ready for their quest for NC#10.

Reaction Score
As a former sprinter I'll tell you that you don't get that big a lead in a sprint that short unless you had an abnormally good start.

In other words, you jumped the gun. This can be done unsuccessfully (false start; second gun) or successfully (guess the starting signal so well that your start is simultaneous with it).

An extra advantage if you get away with it is your competitors may think you won't. They'll hesitate for a split second while you're already out there getting toward full stride.

I don't doubt MoJeff is extraordinarily quick (fast twitch muscles govern starting prowess). And she has great speed for her size in full stride as well (though her relatively short length of stride would be a problem in, say, a 100 meter dash.

But a five yard lead three quarters of the way through a sprint of only 30 yards -- against the fastest runner-up in a group of athletic peers, is preposterous even for MoJet without an excellent jump.

Go MoJet!! Take what they give you, girl

jump-the-gun.jpg

Let's go to the video tape.....MoJet third from right.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Go MoJet!! Take what they give you, girl.

jump-the-gun.jpg

Wind sprints are a bit different from straight sprints because they involve not just start and speed but also the ability to stop, bend and touch the floor, and restart in the opposite direction not once but three times - so four starts, three stops. Being light weight and close to the ground definitely helps in wind sprints as the stoping involves less momentum and the bending is a shorter distance. Moriah obviously should be handicapped with extra weight as she has an unfair advantage!:cool:
On edit after rewatching - she did not get the best start but began separation after the mid-court stop!

Reaction Score
LOL. I watched the video again to see if Moriah jumped. Of course not...she's just really fast. This time I noticed Morgan in the top of the screen. The earlier post was right, she looks great.

JS

Reaction Score
Wind sprints are a bit different from straight sprints because they involve not just start and speed but also the ability to stop, bend and touch the floor, and restart in the opposite direction not once but three times - so four starts, three stops.
Mea culpa. I only saw DNS's screen capture of the lead and presumed it was in a straight sprint, hence impossible without a MoJetJump.

But since when did a superficial impression of the facts stop me from forming an opinion? Come to think of it, in that regard I usually . . . ah, jump the gun.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Mea culpa. I only saw DNS's screen capture of the lead and presumed it was in a straight sprint, hence impossible without a MoJetJump.

But since when did a superficial impression of the facts stop me from forming an opinion? Come to think of it, in that regard I usually . . . ah, jump the gun.

To give this topic much more attention than it deserves and to further highlight the extent of JS's Mea culpa, the player that actually was the first to react and step forward into the court (did not jump the gun) was KML. I love it when a sprinter is wrong.

kaleena_step.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul