Hoopfeed: Geno talks USA Basketball (transcript) | The Boneyard

Hoopfeed: Geno talks USA Basketball (transcript)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On Thursday, August 16, USA Basketball’s women’s national team and Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma met with the press to discuss his experiences with the gold-medal-winning Olympic team. Here is a transcript of most of the interview. The comments in italics are observations from Hoopfeed’s David Siegel, who was in attendance, and will help frame the context of Auriemma’s answers.

I have yet to find someone who is more comfortable in meeting with the press than Auriemma. Perhaps it is the fact that he has this large contingent of beat writers following his every move, but lounging inside Gampel Pavilion, in jeans and shoes with no socks, it is clear the man is in his element.

http://wp.me/pwd9L-5mK

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
DnS - thank you so much for both the transcript and for your comments. I think the comments add a lot to the piece both in reflecting the tone Geno used in particular comments, and in giving background information for particular questions and responses.
Great job!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
DNS -I echo the thanks and really appreciate the hard work on setting this down. I would like to point out two things that hit home for me. I am a pretty emotional gal so I will go with the heartstrings first. I mentioned Diana's tears at the medal ceremony and how I felt it was her realization that the past few weeks was an opportunity to play with folks she cares a great deal about, I am thinking Geno mostly, and that it may never happen again:

"Q: Looking back on it now, in addition to the gold medal, was there a particular moment or day that was special to you?

GA: For me it’s always personal; so, there were a bunch of funny moments and a bunch of great moments. But, I think the time that I spent with Diana, there were some moments that we had, either before practice, or after practice, or at dinner, which kind of brought me back to what it used to be like when she was in college and we were doing this for the very first time. That’s probably the moments, those three. The other stuff is stuff everybody does; everybody went to Tower Bridge, everybody went to the Tower of London, everybody went to go see Big Ben, the Parliament buildings, and all that good stuff. But for me, those three times were pretty special for me.

The look on his face was one that indicated that he truly loved the down time with Taurasi, and also that he realizes that it’s most likely not going to happen like that ever again. Part joy, part sadness. Then quickly, the joking Auriemma returned with the following:

Oh and seeing Diana’s mom and dad, that was pretty funny. Just for the record, Lily, Diana’s mother, came up to me and said “Geno, I still hate you.” I said okay, you hated me in 2000, you hate me in 2012, that’s okay, as long as your daughter loves me, that’s all I care about."

I had to throw that in.....Geno...

And then on a subject of which continuously irks me from time to time, sometimes even with our fans on this board. Geno on being asked where winning the gold medal at the Olympics and on peoples expectations:

"GA: Yeah it’s like coaching UConn. You win 90 in a row and some dope wants to know why you didn’t call a time out or why this kid missed a free throw or why that. So when you do win, you say “that’s good, let’s get onto the next one.” France, the kids went back and I was talking to one of the French players afterwards, and she said they couldn’t wait to get home, because they were going to be welcomed home as conquering heroes. One coach said, “You know we played well tonight, and we had fun.” Both coaches are there, and two players are there at the same time. So I looked at him and said, “You know, it’s been a long time since I could say, it doesn’t matter, we’re just out here to have fun.” (Laughs) So that was pretty refreshing to hear him say that. So yeah, basically the feeling I had after winning the Olympics is the same I have at UConn when we win a national championship. The exact same thing.

There was definitely a hint of sadness in that response; while I cannot see him not wanting to be coaching the hunted favorite, I have to think that a part of him longs for the time when it was just about teaching the game, and watching your players grow. Clearly, he still harbors some resentment about some of the criticism directed toward his teams whenever they lose a game, or things do not go according to the fans’ plans."

I love the game of basketball, but I could never play it well. I truely appreciate the artistry of the game that is created by Geno Auriemma's teams, and it is a thrill for me to watch them each and every time. I am a musician, too, and I also know that with each performance things may not happen according to plan. I have learned to accept this, work on the things that keep happening to correct possible problems, and strive to do better each time. If I beat myself up for every mistake (as some are wont to do), I would have stopped doing the thing I love long ago and my life would have had so much less richness.

Appreciate what you have. UConn WCBB is so DAMN LUCKY to have such as person as Coach Auriemma to lead the way in so many ways, both on and off the court.

Reaction Score
wow, thanks to you both for such kind words. I consider myself very fortunate I have a coach like Geno that I get to talk to and listen to.

He talked about learning a lot in the Olympics. I learn a lot every time I hear him speak to the press.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Head and shoulders above anything I've read about Auriemma and the team since
the Olympics ended.

OTOH Why does he continue to disrespect his fans. Even stranger, why does it bother him so much when some fan questions his coaching decisions? "Some dope . . . . ???

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
wow, thanks to you both for such kind words. I consider myself very fortunate I have a coach like Geno that I get to talk to and listen to.

He talked about learning a lot in the Olympics. I learn a lot every time I hear him speak to the press.
I imagine with so much PC from so many sports personality, getting time with someone like Geno who is confident enough to be honest and open mus be a highlight of your professional career - it is certainly a highlight of a fan's life!

RadyLady - very nice comments - team sports when they are played well are very like music (and when they are played poorly are like when the metronome is broken!)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Head and shoulders above anything I've read about Auriemma and the team since
the Olympics ended.

OTOH Why does he continue to disrespect his fans. Even stranger, why does it bother him so much when some fan questions his coaching decisions? "Some dope . . . . ???

It's basically the same thing he said to me when we chatted at the Buick. We talked about The Boneyard and fans in general and he finds it ridiculous that as successful as he and the team are, we still find ways to nitpick his decisions and the teams play.

We ARE dopes. It's not disrespectful.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a terrific read. And i also loved D&S additional comments thrown in there for good measure. it was some great stuff, classic Geno, and certainly gives some insight for people who don't understand him.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It's basically the same thing he said to me when we chatted at the Buick. We talked about The Boneyard and fans in general and he finds it ridiculous that as successful as he and the team are, we still find ways to nitpick his decisions and the teams play.

Bingo.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Thank you. I agree wholeheartedly. I struggled to insert "nitpick" into my post but fell short. But that is exactly right. People nitpick and question his choices. I don't get it. We have it so great with this man. We should relish that we live to witness these times and events.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Great article. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"...I mentioned Diana's tears at the medal ceremony and how I felt it was her realization that the past few weeks was an opportunity to play with folks she cares a great deal about, I am thinking Geno mostly, and that it may never happen again.

Oddly enough, I came across this article regarding Diana at the medal ceremony

"She said no one in the world, not even her own family, knows her any better than Geno. When she finished speaking about this, she fought back tears. Diana Taurasi's basketball career and her part in Olympic history will end someday. But her relationship with Geno will live on, cemented forever at UConn with an added layer of gold in London"

http://www.courant.com/sports/olympics/hc-kevin-nathan-diary-0812-20120811,0,664494.story

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Don't know that I've seen anyone touch on the fact that almost a year and a half ago, Diana's future with USA basketball was at risk because of the errors of a Turkish drug testing company. Makes this time with Geno, Sue and company that much sweeter. (Yah, I know Doug did the piece, but that was before the games...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120724/oly-bkw-taurasi-s-journey/)

Side note: wonder what's going to happen re: the case v. Geno now that the attention on the Games is all gone.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Side note: wonder what's going to happen re: the case v. Geno now that the attention on the Games is all gone.

The parties (i.e., Plaintiff, Geno, USAB and the NBA) recently reached a stipulation that allows the defendants until September 14 to file an answer and/or motions in response to the complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom