Honest question. What does the team do well right now. | The Boneyard

Honest question. What does the team do well right now.

Reaction Score
Looking for team strengths. We do have some guys that have reliable assets. Polley is deadly with his feet set. Akok is an elite shot blocker. AG is a very good passer. But as a team there is very little we can take into a game knowing its going to be there.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
can we please try to not make this thread negative and try to find something to like?

Lot's of bright spots with the young guys. Adams has good physicality and is finding a great 3 pt stroke. Bouk can make plays. Akok is a freak. Whaley shows glimpses. Gaffney is improving.

Reaction Score
can we please try to not make this thread negative and try to find something to like?

Lot's of bright spots with the young guys. Adams has good physicality and is finding a great 3 pt stroke. Bouk can make plays. Akok is a freak. Whaley shows glimpses. Gaffney is improving.

Yes, what does the team do well. Not individuals.

Reaction Score
Adam's has made great strides since last season. He is a dependable contributor off the bench.
Akok is a human eraser with a high motor.
Bouk is smooth on offense who can create his own shot.
Gaffney is gaining confidence game by game. He sees the floor well.
Being these 3 are only freshmen, I am excited what the future holds for them

Reaction Score
Sorry... my first reply mentioned individuals not team improvement. As a team,
1) better in transition than last year
2) better defensively than last year
3) better rim protectors than last year

We definitely protect the rim better than last year.

But it hasn't really translated into a better defense. We have a lot of holes on defense. And I haven't really really seen much improvement in our transition game. We tend to get sloppy as the game speeds up.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
As a team, better ball movement and more motion on offense, not passing around the perimeter for 25 seconds.

Reaction Score
During timeouts, the team managers run out onto the floor real quick with the players seats. At least we got that going for us.

Reaction Score
Pretty good depth that should be even deeper next year.

Props to Whaley, Adams and our freshman class to providing this depth.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
shot blocking
3 point shooting is excellent when they take good shots

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Sorry... my first reply mentioned individuals not team improvement. As a team,
1) better in transition than last year
2) better defensively than last year
3) better rim protectors than last year

But it hasn't really translated into a better defense. We have a lot of holes on defense. And I haven't really really seen much improvement in our transition game. We tend to get sloppy as the game speeds up.
These 3 were my first thoughts also. We do seem to run transition better than last year. Guys on the break do look for the easier bucket, rather than head-down-I’m-shooting-this drives. And the defense is better. It’s not good, but I think compared to last year it’s slightly better.

Reaction Score
Question is what does the team do WELL RIGHT NOW. I would say nothing. Two very average teams made UConn look way, way below average (Massey has Cin. #89 and USF #130 - beating UConn didn't help their ratings much).
Now I'm worried about Tulane at home with their rag tag team and 1st year head coach. When I go to the season ending game here in NOLA will UConn be fighting for the league title and NCAA birth, or just a winning league record, or just to get out of AAC basement?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Looking for team strengths. We do have some guys that have reliable assets. Polley is deadly with his feet set. Akok is an elite shot blocker. AG is a very good passer. But as a team there is very little we can take into a game knowing its going to be there.
Fan pain! They are big into fan pain

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll go a bit more nuanced, and rather than piny out what they do well, I'll go with what they are consistent at doing.

1. As others have said this team goes through the motions of running an offense but doesn't pressure the defense with how they run their offense. Calhoun used to say there's a difference between being there and accomplishing something. Right now this team is "there" on offense
2. Still too many Huskies standing around and lunging for 50/50 balls rather than diving for them.
3. Bad guard play. No way around it. Shooting percentages are low and the location of the shots, especially AG's drives, leave the offense imbalanced, leading to fast breaks for the opponent.

Reaction Score
Ac

According to KenPom in regards to defensive efficiency
2018- year before Hurley: ranked 178
2019 - ranked 129
2020 - so far ranked 43

So... our defense has improved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members