Honest question- Do we have enough rebounding to be bulletproof | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Honest question- Do we have enough rebounding to be bulletproof

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the record 'bullet proof' was coined by Hurley, an expression that he would throw out in practice as he continually pushed the players to improve.

I think the goal isn't necessarily to become unbeatable but rather to keep working towards that goal, even though we will not ever fully reach it.

Reaction Score
By Bulletproof, I mean do we have an Achilles heel (keeping the Homer reference alive)

When we play Providence, and they throw Christ and a recovered Hopkins at us, and Samson or Reed gets in foul trouble, IF WE DONT HAVE AK, we don't have the muscle I would like to see on the boards (unless its Abraham?) Without AK, our "power forward" for defensive purposes is probably Jaylin. On offense the positions dont matter, as we are positionless in 4 man out, but if we can't get the defensive board our transition game suffers.

You can talk, Tom Moore, or rebounding is desire, but if we were looking at Huggins era Cinci team with 6-9 Adonises like Fortson et al, we could have an issue. We clearly are an offensive juggernaut, so probably wont matter, but still.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We're not bulletproof, we'll never be bulletproof, and we'll always be able to rebound. It's really more about technique and effort than it is about size.

Bazz and Boat were great rebounders, can't get smaller than that

Having said that, being able to switch everybody on defense becomes more challenging

Reaction Score
Tell that to Dan Hurley.
He would agree. Bulletproof means you don't have to play like there's no tomorrow and Hurley made them play like tomorrow would come at them like a ton of bricks if they didn't play their assess off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yea good observation. Looking at the roster now , UConn’s fate for next is season is already sealed imo , just like the last two seasons , UConn’s ceiling will go only as high as our center rotation. If Samson comes back significantly improved and Reed turns out to be a portal home run , the sky’s is the limit. Because looking at our guards and wings we have or potentially have , Dan and the staff will make magic with whatever guys we end up with , I’m confident in their ability.

I think reed and Samson are both starter quality and we will love their production this season. I can see a breakout year for Samson tbh.

Reaction Score
He would agree. Bulletproof means you don't have to play like there's no tomorrow and Hurley made them play like tomorrow would come at them like a ton of bricks if they didn't play their assess off.
No he literally said "We are bulletproof" like 10 times this run.

Reaction Score
Ok this makes sense now. You didn’t realize this was a board comprised of UConn fans. I always wondered what the ufck you were doing here because all you do is post dickish nonsense from time to time.

“Homer” is about the stupidest insult I can imagine throwing at a fan on his own team’s message board.
Reads as “I’m here for the like mindedness, but the confirmation bias is really where it’s at”.

Reaction Score
As far as rebounding is concerned, part of this that we don't talk about is scheme. It's not an accident that we are a great rebounding team when we physically GO FOR more rebounds than the average team.
Most teams either get back immediately after the first shot, or only go for offensive boards with a couple of players at a time. We send all 5 players to the glass and sacrifice transition defense, which hasn't been a problem so far.

This nugget was a bit lost in all the information in this interview, but i thought it was interesting
Hurley talking about rebounding philosophy at 38:00

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom