Home uniform question | The Boneyard

Home uniform question

Reaction Score
I was watching the 1st Tennessee game in '95, on you tube today, and noticed that the home whites had "Connecticut" on the front. Any idea when they switched over to having "UConn", instead of "Connecticut"?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was watching the 1st Tennessee game in '95, on you tube today, and noticed that the home whites had "Connecticut" on the front. Any idea when they switched over to having "UConn", instead of "Connecticut"?
It was part of a Nike sponsored rebranding effort, which not only had us use UConn on the uniforms rather than Connecticut, but also had us switch from an 80 + year tradition of using all white huskies as the mascot in favor of the more generic looking one we have now.

For what it’s worth, the men’s team is currently wearing throwback “Connecticut” uniforms.

Reaction Score
I was watching the 1st Tennessee game in '95, on you tube today, and noticed that the home whites had "Connecticut" on the front. Any idea when they switched over to having "UConn", instead of "Connecti
Inflation...lol.

sun

Reaction Score
It's all part of building a brand and marketing, and probably for the best.
Most of the country would rather not pronounce Connecticut because it's a long & somewhat difficult name.
Just like UMass.
It can get tiresome for announcers to repeat it over & over, and for journalists to type it repeatedly.
The opposing team schedules also refer to us as UConn and not Connecticut.
Besides that Conn. used to be our postal abbreviation, so it's not too unfamiliar or without a historical context.

Reaction Score
I like the old husky mascot better. Looked much nicer unlike the current one that looks mean and scary to try and pet.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like the old husky mascot better. Looked much nicer unlike the current one that looks mean and scary to try and pet.
I'm old school. Here's MY favorite husky mascot. He bites!!!

1674764946843.png

I want mascot that looks and IS intimidating. One you definitely won't try and pet!! :mad:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A few years back an opposing coach...maybe at Baylor?...told the team she wanted to refer to our team as Connecticut....not UConn...because just the name UConn had more vim and vigor to it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I kind of agree about that, but mostly the new one is generic.

There was only one university across the nation that had a white husky as a mascot and that was Connecticut. That was a tradition that began nearly 90 years ago. Sometimes it seems to me that the athletic directors office is struggling to “create new traditions” instead of merely embracing the ones we already have.

1674768180022.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can’t believe that Kimberly Duane Mulkey, current head coach of Louisiana State University would resort to such a childish tactic. Additionally, her team might get confused that their Coach is sending crossed signals when she throws her gold lame or leather jacket at the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom