Home court advantage | The Boneyard

Home court advantage

Reaction Score
It seems like the home team is winning more frequently this year (straight up and against the spread). Could be caused by increased crowds? I guess it could also just be variance. It could be caused by a return to pre-COVID crowd levels. Or the sport could be more popular now at a national and/or local level. I didn't follow the sport as closely pre-2020 so I am curious what others think

Reaction Score
When Sagarin did WCBB ratings, he used to list the value of the home court advantage parameter in his model. So you could see if it changed year to year (not that I ever did look).

In this era of unbalanced conference schedules (ie, no true robin-robin in any big conference except the big east), it can be tricky to evaluate home wins & losses. I recall one year some were saying that a particular team was "bad on the road". This faulty logic failed to account for the fact that the team played UConn, Notre Dame, and Louisville (or something like that) only on the road, but Providence and other cellar dwellers only at home. shockingly this team had a much better home record than road record.

Reaction Score
Got no idea if more or less. Seems about the same for my team but we are always strong at home in Hilton but I think ISU is a bit unique. Looked and we are 29-3 in the last two season at home. So far this year only lost at home to Iowa. We generally have good teams, make the NCAA almost every year but haven't won a piece of the Big 12 since 2000. Home advantage is real though. We get great attendance, it's a crazily devoted fan base considering we don't win titles or make Final Four runs. Attendance right now isn't near the 10,000/game sold, more like 6,000 actual cheeks-in-the-seats for a lot of games but 6,000 real people is better than everyone not Top 10 so there is a real advantage to that.

Back to the unique part and why is maybe doesn't help with your question. ISU has Top 10 attendance but we are never a Top 10 team = outlier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom